great tribulation

Where anyone can ask or answer a question.

great tribulation

Postby njfish17 on Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:21 am

I am curious if anyone can tell me why is it that in eschatology ( prophecy) circles the 70th week ( 7 years) of Daniel is always referred to as the tribulation. I can't find it anywhere in scripture that the 7 years is the tribulation. In fact, Jesus said in Matthew 24 that the great tribulation would not occur until the abomination of desolation at the midpoint of the week and that the tribulation would be cut short for the sake of the elect and then Christ would appear and pour out judgement during the day of the Lord.<br>
<br>
Nathan <p></p><i></i>
njfish17

Re: great tribulation

Postby Chris on Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:41 am

Some translations substitute "distress" for tribulation.<br>
<br>
In the KJV: <br>
<br>
Matthew 24:29: Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:<br>
<br>
Revelation 2:22: Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. <p><!--EZCODE HR START--><hr /><!--EZCODE HR END--><br>
"Either there is a God or there isn't. Both possibilities are frightening!" <br>
<br>
<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.needgod.com/">Take the Good Test</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br>
<br>
<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.livingwaters.com/">Living Waters, the Ministry of Ray Comfort</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->: Learn more about sharing your faith effectively, and biblically—the way Jesus did.</p><i></i>
Chris

great tribulation

Postby njfish17 on Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:47 am

Is not " the tribulation of those days" not referring to the tribulation that Christ just spoke about previous to Matthew 24:29?<br>
Nathan <p></p><i></i>
njfish17

Re: great tribulation

Postby RocColon on Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:59 pm

I also agree that the great tribulation, or as some refer to it the time of "Jacob's trouble", really begins when the abomination that causes desolation stands in the Holy place, as per Matthew 24:15. Also Paul seems to have this in mind in 2 Thessolonians 2:3, when the man of lawlessness is revealed, and sets himself in God's temple (The rebuilt Solomon's Temple). But prior to the full revelation of the anti-christ there must be political and legal persecution of all fundametalists, as has already begun to prepare the way for the Inter-faith one world religion and world goverment. So maybe some in prophecy study also consider this as part of the tribulation... <br>
Roc <p></p><i></i>
RocColon

great tribulation

Postby Looking4acity on Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:40 pm

It is much easier to refer to the 7 year period as the 'tribulation' instead of being more specific saying '3 and a half years of peace and 3 and a half years of terror'.<br>
<br>
But - just because there is military peace in the first half does not mean that it is without trouble.<br>
<br>
The earth will begin her travail from the beginning.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Looking4acity

Return to Prophecy Questions/Answers