Turkey : Part Four

(heavily moderated)

Re: Turkey : Part Four

Postby Exit40 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:30 am

Five things to know about Turkey's rift with Trump
BY ELLEN MITCHELL - 07/21/19 09:12 PM EDT

The United States' relationship with Turkey hit a low point this week after a rift over a Russia missile system that has taken the two nations’ alliance to a new level of animosity.

Washington on Wednesday officially booted Ankara from the F-35 fighter jet program over the NATO ally’s purchase of the Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile defense system.

The move drew the ire of Turkey, whose government said the move went counter to the “spirit of alliance,” and called on Washington to reverse the decision.

“We call on the United States to come back from this mistake that will cause irreparable damage to our strategic ties,” Turkey’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

But the Trump administration’s move was hardly a surprise as it has threatened such retaliation for months if Turkey took delivery of the first shipment of S-400 parts, which it did on July 12.

This also marks yet another fracture in the relationship between the two nations, after years of brewing tensions and deteriorating goodwill marked by disagreements over foreign allies, sanctions and leadership style.

Here are five things to know about the latest rift and previous clashes between the two countries....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:42 am

Erdogan Economics Weaponized as Central Bank Looks to Cut Rates
Bloomberg Cagan Koc Bloomberg•July 24, 2019

(Bloomberg) -- Turkey is about to embark on one of the greatest central banking experiments in emerging markets -- and the timing couldn’t be better.

Long a believer that high interest rates cause inflation, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is finally putting that unconventional theory into practice by installing Murat Uysal as governor this month after firing his predecessor for failing to cut sooner.

As the drumbeat of political pressure grows on central banks from the U.S. to India, Erdogan has one-upped his counterparts thanks to broad new powers granted to his office after last year’s general election. A policy meeting on Thursday will show just how sharp a pivot the central bank is prepared to make.

Turkey is ripe for monetary easing. A dovish turn in monetary policy globally and a downswing in inflation has left Turkey with the world’s highest real rate. Powerful base effects will likely continue to choke off price growth in the months ahead....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:01 am

JULY 24, 2019 / 4:45 AM / UPDATED A DAY AGO
Turkey has 'no patience left' with U.S. on Syria safe zone
Tuvan Gumrukcu

ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Wednesday that new U.S. proposals for a safe zone in northern Syria fall short and Turkey was running out of patience as Washington appears to be stalling in efforts to seal an agreement.

U.S. special envoy for Syria James Jeffrey held talks in Ankara this week on the zone and other issues, including progress on a roadmap agreed last year for the northern town of Manbij to be cleared of the Kurdish YPG militia.

The militia has been the main U.S. ally on the ground in Syria during Washington’s fight against Islamic State.

However, Turkey has been infuriated by U.S. support for the YPG, which Ankara considers a terrorist organization, and has repeatedly demanded that Washington cut its ties.

Following the U.S. decision to withdraw from northern Syria, the NATO allies agreed to create the safe zone, which Turkey says should be controlled by its forces and also cleared of the YPG.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:25 am

Turkey Threatens to Reignite European Migrant Crisis
by Soeren Kern July 31, 2019 at 5:00 am

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1462 ... ant-crisis

"We are facing the biggest wave of migration in history. If we open the floodgates, no European government will be able to survive for more than six months. We advise them not to try our patience." — Turkish Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu.

"Turkey is fully committed to the objective of EU membership... The finalization of the Visa Liberalization Dialogue process which will allow our citizens to travel to the Schengen area without a visa, is our first priority." — Statement released by the Turkish Foreign Ministry, May 9, 2019.

"This doesn't mean that I have anything against the Turks.... But if we begin to explain it — that Turkey is in Europe — European school students will have to be told that the European border lies in Syria. Where's common sense? ... Can Turkey be regarded a European country culturally, historically, and economically speaking? If we say that, we want the European Union's death." — Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

If the EU approves the visa waiver, tens of millions of Turks will gain immediate and unimpeded access to Europe's passport-free zone. Critics of visa liberalization fear that millions of Turkish nationals may end up migrating to Europe. The Austrian newsmagazine, Wochenblick, reported that 11 million Turks are living in poverty and "many of them are dreaming of moving to central Europe."...

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:41 am

Russia, Turkey, Iran: Adversaries of the West's NATO Alliance
by Con Coughlin August 5, 2019 at 5:00 am

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1465 ... aries-nato

Germany's outright rejection of Washington's request [to support Washington's proposal for a maritime protection force in the Arabian Gulf to protect shipping from attacks by Iran] is likely to inflame tensions further between Washington and Berlin. U.S. President Donald J. Trump is already at odds with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on a range of issues, from Germany's obstinate refusal to meet its Nato funding commitments to its pursuit of closer energy ties with Russia through the construction of the controversial Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline.

Mr Trump is highly critical of the project. He argues that it will make Europe, and especially Germany, too dependent on Moscow for its energy needs, which could undermine the resolve of the Nato alliance to take a robust stand against Moscow in any future confrontation.

So, at a time when the Western alliance is already struggling with how to respond to Turkey's deepening military ties with Russia, Germany's refusal to fulfil its obligations to protect shipping in the Gulf will be interpreted by adversaries of the West such as Moscow and Tehran as yet further evidence of what would doubtless please them very much: deepening divisions within the Western alliance....

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby keithareilly on Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:46 pm

:snack:
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:28 am

OPINION/TURKEY
Understanding the 'S-400 crisis'
The purchase of the S-400 does not mean Turkey is 'turning its back' on NATO.
Verda Ozer by Verda Ozer 24 hours ago

On July 31, the deadline the United States set for Turkey to abandon its deal with Russia for the S-400 missile system expired. As Ankara continues its efforts to negotiate with Washington and convince it not to impose sanctions, pundits in the West have started to talk about a major shift in Turkish foreign policy. Some have gone as far as to suggest that Turkey has "turned its back on the US" and is gravitating closer to Russia.

While this is not the first time a NATO member has bought a military system from Moscow - Greece purchased the S-300, the older version of the S-400, in 1996 - the Turkish-Russian deal comes at a time of heightened tensions between the West and Russia and increasing fractures within the transatlantic alliance. It has caused a "first of a kind" internal crisis in the alliance and has gotten Washington worried.

The purchase of the S-400 will indeed affect Turkey's strategic alliance with the US, but it will not break it. In the future, Ankara will have to balance between its 67-year-old NATO membership and other partners, rather than replacing one with the other....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:28 am

ISIS, Assad, and Turkey Are Waging a Shadow War on U.S. Allies in Syria
Arson, bombs, spies, and propaganda stoke tensions in northeast Syria as Turkish troops mobilize along the border for a threatened invasion.

Kevin Knodell Benedetta Argentieri Published 08.08.19 5:05AM ET

QAMISHLO, Syria—An enormous fire raged across several wheat fields outside this town on July 6. It was a dry summer day and dark smoke towered over the countryside as the flames spread across the farmland. Some locals watched in awe at the inferno. Others tried to fight back with shovels and rakes. They had little success. They watched the blaze consume their livelihood. Locals told The Daily Beast that the fire started near Turkish military checkpoints along the border and made its way south across Kurdish farms.

Scenes like this have become commonplace this summer as fires have burned across Northeast Syria (or “Rojava” as it is known to the Kurds and their supporters). They have been particularly destructive this year and suspiciously concentrated in contested territories that make up the lines between between U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), Turkish troops and Syrian pro-regime forces—as well as scattered fires near former ISIS strongholds.

Now, as Turkish leaders threaten to invade this region, things could heat up even more....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:30 am

Western allegations over Turkish economy debunked a year after lira plunge
DAILY SABAH ISTANBUL Published 09.08.2019 Updated 09.08.2019

A money changer counts Turkish lira bills at an currency exchange office in Istanbul December 16, 2014. (Reuters Photo)
A money changer counts Turkish lira bills at an currency exchange office in Istanbul December 16, 2014. (Reuters Photo)
"Some analysts have suggested Turkey should seek support from the IMF," read a line from a piece published in Financial Times on Aug. 10, 2018, when the Turkish economy was under heavy pressure from the strengthening dollar.

The emerging markets editor in the FT, Jonathan Wheatley, claimed that only way out for President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his administration was to "raise interest rates, turn to the IMF, impose capital controls or wait it out."

"Judging by his actions so far, Erdoğan's next move will be to impose capital controls," Larry Elliott, the Guardian's economics editor, also alleged in a piece published just two days later....

Snip... "It's 1 year after the big Turkish lira blowup of 2018, the lira is 25% stronger than its worst levels, rates are at 18 month lows, and as usual Turkey has defied repeated predictions of economic collapse," he said in a tweet....

Continues

**** We should note that while this seems a positive report, Daily Sabah is a very pro govt source. D ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:48 am

Turkey's Erdogan to visit Moscow after convoy targeted in Syria
Surprise meeting comes after the leaders agreed to 'activate mutual efforts' to ease situation in Idlib, says Kremlin.
16 hours ago

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will visit Moscow on Tuesday for a meeting with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, the Turkish presidency has said, days after a Turkish convoy was nearly hit by air raids in the Syrian province of Idlib.

Friday's announcement came as Syrian forces, backed by Russia, continue to make advances into the last rebel stronghold in Syria's northwest region that borders Turkey. Since late April, Syria and Russia have escalated their bombardment of Idlib, with more than 500 civilians being killed in the hostilities, according to the United Nations....

Snip... The visit will come just weeks before Erdogan is set to host Putin and Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani for a summit on Syria in Ankara on September 16....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:27 am

Erdogan eyes 'inferior' Putin warplanes to defy Trump as S-400 Russian missiles arrive
VLADIMIR PUTIN defied Donald Trump again as he entered talks with Turkey officials over the sale of Russian Su-57 fighter jets – but analysis suggests that Ankara will be receiving an inferior product compared to US warplanes.
By KUMAIL JAFFER PUBLISHED: 10:52, Fri, Aug 30, 2019 | UPDATED: 12:56, Fri, Aug 30, 2019

Putin showed off Russia's latest hi-tech stealth fighter jet to Turkish President – and new ally – Tayyip Erdogan this week. Turkey is banned from buying any US F-35 fighter planes due to a long-standing dispute with the Trump administration over Ankara's decision to purchase Russian S-400 missiles. However, despite optimism from Turkish officials, military analysis claims that the US jet dwarfs its Russian counterpart.
Russia showed off its latest Su-57 model earlier this month, boasting that it was far better than earlier versions.

However, the evidence shows the US F-35 fighter jet is superior in a number of areas.

An F-35 has a far larger detection radar range – it would be able to strike an Su-57 while remaining undetectable by the Russian plane.

And while the Su-57 can travel higher, faster and for longer, the US plane has a significantly faster rate of climb, meaning it can reach vast heights in record time....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:21 am

Erdoğan's Elections: Heads I Win, Tails You Lose
by Burak Bekdil September 2, 2019 at 5:00 am
https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1478 ... ons-losses

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan promised party fans a clear election victory in Istanbul [on the June 23 rerun] -- but lost, this time, by a margin of more than 800,000 votes, compared to only 13,000 in the original race.

"Your wrath stems from the fear in you." — Meral Danış Baştas, Kurdish MP, replying to Erdoğan.

By using an administrative decision as a pretext to oust elected mayors, Erdoğan is effectively nullifying millions of Kurdish votes. Moreover, if the ousted mayors actually had proven links to terrorist organizations, why were they allowed to run in an election in the first place?

This drama will probably continue: Kurds will elect their leaders, Erdoğan will sack them. Kurds again will elect their leaders, Erdoğan will sack them too. Kurds will vote for other leaders and Erdoğan will sack them too.

Erdoğan should sit down, think and find out: why do his country's 20 million or so Kurds insist on invariably electing "terrorists" as mayors to their cities and towns, and defying his calls to do otherwise?...

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:10 am

TURKEY HAS U.S. NUCLEAR WEAPONS, NOW IT SAYS IT SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HAVE SOME OF ITS OWN
BY TOM O'CONNOR ON 9/4/19 AT 6:13 PM EDT

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has argued that his country should be allowed to develop nuclear weapons as other major powers have.

Addressing the Central Anatolian Economic Forum in the central province of Sivas, Erdogan lauded the expansion of the Turkish defense industry, especially recent conversations with the United States and Russia, while hinting at future talks with China. He then recalled how "some countries have missiles with nuclear warheads" and "not just one or two."

"But I cannot possess missiles with nuclear warheads? I do not accept that," Erdogan said. "Right now, nearly all the countries in the developed world have nuclear missiles."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:11 am

Erdoğan: I'll let Syrian refugees leave Turkey for west unless safe zone set up
Turkish president threatens to ‘open the gates’ in face of footdragging from US and EU
Peter Beaumont and Helena Smith in Athens Thu 5 Sep 2019 06.52 EDTLast modified on Thu 5 Sep 2019 13.30 EDT

The Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, is threatening to “open the gates” to allow Syrian refugees to leave Turkey for western countries unless a controversial “safe zone” inside Syria is established soon.

Erdoğan’s comments come amid growing tension with Washington over delays in establishing the safe zone – first proposed by Donald Trump – not least over the fate of a key US-allied Kurdish militia, the YPG, which Ankara regards as a terrorist organisation.

Ankara has been threatening to move its troops unilaterally into the safe zone unless progress is made.

With Turkey hosting some 3.6 million Syrian refugees, Erdoğan’s threat raised the spectre of a surge of people into Europe that could dwarf even the recent migration crisis at its peak....

Snip... “The big question is what happens next to the EU-Turkey statement,” the Greek civil protection minister, Michalis Chrysochoidis, said referring to the expiration of the EU deal at the end of the year.

“Right now nobody knows what will happen.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:37 am

SEPTEMBER 7, 2019 / 7:11 AM / UPDATED A DAY AGO
Turkey calls on U.S. to lift barriers to boost trade

FILE PHOTO: A Turkish flag is pictured on a boat in Istanbul, Turkey, June 22, 2019. REUTERS/Murad Sezer
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey asked the United States to lift trade barriers between the two countries during talks on Saturday aimed at sharply increasing bilateral commerce, Turkey’s trade minister said.

Washington and Ankara have set an ambitious goal of quadrupling their trade to $100 billion a year, despite the prospect of U.S. sanctions over Turkey’s recent purchase of Russian missile defense systems.

Trade Minister Ruhsar Pekcan said she expressed Turkey’s “clear expectation” to U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross over the removal of “certain barriers and policies as implemented by the U.S. administration that constitute (an) obstacle to enhancing our bilateral trade.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:45 am

Turkey’s Radical Plan: Send a Million Refugees Back to Syria
By Carlotta Gall Sept. 10, 2019 Updated 10:12 a.m. ET

GAZIANTEP, Turkey — Turkey, which for eight years has welcomed millions of Syrian refugees, has reversed course, forcing thousands to leave its major cities in recent weeks and ferrying many of them to its border with Syria in white buses and police vans.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is pushing a radical solution — resettling refugees in a swath of Syrian territory controlled by the United States and its Kurdish allies. If that does not happen, he is threatening to send a flood of Syrian migrants to Europe.

Mr. Erdogan has long demanded a buffer zone along Turkey’s border with Syria to keep out Kurdish forces, whom he considers a security threat.

But he has repackaged the idea for the zone as a refuge for Syrians fleeing the war — pushing it as resentment against Syrians in Turkey has increased, and a Syrian and Russian offensive in Syria has sent hundreds of thousands more refugees fleeing toward the Turkish border....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:02 am

SEPTEMBER 15, 2019 / 6:41 AM / A DAY AGO
Leaders of Turkey, Russia, Iran set to tackle Syria turmoil
5 MIN READ

ANKARA (Reuters) - The leaders of Turkey, Russia and Iran meet on Monday to try to secure a lasting truce in northwest Syria following attacks by the government that risk deepening regional turmoil and pushing a new wave of migrants toward Turkey.

The summit in Ankara, bringing together countries whose Syrian allies are combatants in a ruinous eight-year-old war, will focus on the Idlib region, the last remaining territory held by rebels seeking to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and Iran’s Hassan Rouhani have backed Assad against the rebels. Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, along with the United States, European and Arab allies, has supported different rebel factions in the conflict....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 am

Why isn’t the media covering Turkish President Erdogan’s ties to ISIS
By Kenneth R. TimmermanSeptember 21, 2019 | 2:32pm

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has pitched his tent at New York’s glitzy Peninsula Hotel this week, where he will be dining (but not wining) American Muslim leaders on the sidelines of UN meetings.

During his 2017 New York visit, Erdogan met with then-freshman U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN). This past July, state-run media chiefs called on Turks around the world to donate to her re-election campaign, which is illegal if they are not U.S. citizens or green-card holders.

But what should disturb Americans most about Erdogan is not his efforts to influence Congress, his abysmal record as a jailer of journalists, his genocidal war against the Kurds, or even the $100 million mosque he has constructed in Lanham, Maryland....

Snip... The evidence of Erdogan’s direct, personal and institutional support for ISIS and related jihadi groups is so extensive, the wonder is why the American media is not paying more attention to it.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Ready1 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:50 pm

The evidence of Erdogan’s direct, personal and institutional support for ISIS and related jihadi groups is so extensive, the wonder is why the American media is not paying more attention to it.

What does the media pay attention to other than Trump? :grin: :grin: :grin:
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Postby Exit40 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:20 am

Ready1 wrote:
The evidence of Erdogan’s direct, personal and institutional support for ISIS and related jihadi groups is so extensive, the wonder is why the American media is not paying more attention to it.

What does the media pay attention to other than Trump? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Same for most news agencies.

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:35 am

SEPTEMBER 24, 2019 / 8:36 AM / UPDATED 19 HOURS AGO
Turkey's Erdogan says nuclear power should either be free for all or banned

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday said nuclear power should either be free for all states or banned completely, and warned that the “inequality” between states who have nuclear power and who do not undermines global balances.

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan arrives to speak during the 2019 United Nations Climate Action Summit at U.N. headquarters in New York City, New York, U.S., September 23, 2019. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
Turkey signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty in 1980, and has also signed the 1996 Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty, which bans all nuclear detonations for any purpose.

Erdogan has hinted in the past that he wanted he same protection for Turkey as Israel, which foreign analysts say possesses a sizable nuclear arsenal....

Snip... In his speech, Erdogan also called on the international community to help securing peace and safety in the Syrian city of Idlib, adding that establishing a “safe zone” in northern Syria will save millions of lives....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Ready1 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:27 am

In his speech, Erdogan also called on the international community to help securing peace and safety in the Syrian city of Idlib, adding that establishing a “safe zone” in northern Syria will save millions of lives....

Any guesses as to who will be the first to call for the international community to help secure "peace and safety" in Jerusalem?
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Postby Exit40 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:46 am

Ready1 wrote:Any guesses as to who will be the first to call for the international community to help secure "peace and safety" in Jerusalem?

My personal belief is, it will be a muslim who says this. Erdogan ? Who knows. I believe what peace and safety means to this muslim leader will be, 'convert to islam and you will have peace', the muslim saying is aslim taslim. This is an 'or else' statement. Shortly thereafter will come the destruction from above, according to the following....

1Th 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:56 am

SEPTEMBER 25, 2019 / 12:19 PM / UPDATED 19 HOURS AGO
Seeking deals not sanctions, Turkey's Erdogan attends Trump reception

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey’s President Tayyip Erdogan met President Donald Trump at a reception in New York on Wednesday, the last day of a trip to attend the U.N. General Assembly that Erdogan had said would include meeting Trump to discuss buying U.S. Patriot missiles.

Turkey’s presidency said on Twitter that Erdogan had attended the reception and provided a picture showing the Turkish leader and his wife Emine with Trump and first lady Melania. It gave no other details and did not say whether the two leaders only met or also had talks.

Turkish markets have been watching Erdogan’s trip closely for any signs that a meeting between the NATO allies might be able to dispel the threat of U.S. sanctions over Ankara’s purchase of Russia’s S-400 missile defense system....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:13 am

Syria says US, Turkish troops must withdraw 'immediately'
At UNGA, Syrian finance minister also says 'no deadline' should be imposed over a constitutional body proposed recently.
15 hours ago

Syria has demanded the immediate withdrawal of all foreign forces from its territories and stated that it reserves the right to take action if they remain inside the country.

"The United States and Turkey maintain an illegal military presence in northern Syria," Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem said in his address to the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on Saturday.

"Any foreign forces operating in our territories without our authorisation are occupying forces and should withdraw immediately," he said.

Syria's devastating eight-year civil war has drawn numerous foreign militaries and thousands of foreign fighters battling for power....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:35 am

Erdogan: Turkey has no choice but set up Syria 'safe zone' alone
Deadline set by Turkey for action with US expires, bringing prospect of unilateral military intervention closer.
22 hours ago

Turkey has no choice but to act alone given too little progress has been made with the United States in forming a "safe zone" in northeastern Syria, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said, in his most direct indication of a cross-border offensive.

After eight years of war in neighbouring Syria, Ankara and NATO ally Washington have agreed to establish a zone along 480km (300 miles) of the border that Turkey wants to be 30km deep (19 miles).

Under the Turkish plan, up to two million Syrian refugees would be settled in the area that would be cleared of the Syrian Kurdish militia People's Protection Units (YPG), which Ankara deems "a terrorist organisation"....

Snip... "We plan to settle two million people in the safe zones we will establish. We calculated the costs and we will carry out efforts to improve. We will start taking steps as soon as the region is saved from the invasion of terror," he said....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:18 am

Turkey: Ergodan Has Badly Overplayed His Hand in the Khashoggi Affair
by Con CoughlinOctober 5, 2019 at 5:00 am

Mr Erdogan, who has been the main driving force behind efforts to cause the Saudis maximum discomfort, now has an abundance of problems of his own, challenges which could spell the end of his 16-years in charge. After Mr Erdogan's Islamist AKP party lost badly in last April's mayoral election for control of Istanbul, the Turkish leader now finds himself trying desperately to salvage Turkey's battered economy, where the currency is in free fall, foreign debts remain vast, and inflation and joblessness are alarmingly high.

Many Turks blame their country's plight on Mr Erdogan's obsession with pursuing his radical Islamist agenda, which includes supporting groups like the Muslim Brotherhood.

Many prefer him to concentrate instead on addressing their domestic concerns, a view the Turkish president would be well-advised to take on board if he intends to remain in power....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:51 am

Stalin Had Gulags, Turkey Has Courts
by Burak Bekdil October 8, 2019 at 5:00 am

[Canan] Kaftancıoğlu [now under arrest for old tweets] came to prominence only after her critical role in defeating Erdoğan's Justice and Development Party (AKP) in Istanbul's municipal elections on March 31 and June 23, ending Islamist rule in Turkey's biggest city after 25 years.

On September 20, a Turkish court held its first hearing of a case against two Bloomberg reporters accused of "trying to undermine Turkey's economic stability.".... "They've been indicted for accurately and objectively reporting on highly newsworthy events," said Bloomberg Editor-in-Chief John Micklethwait.

Thirty-six other defendants, including prominent economist Mustafa Sönmez and journalist Sedef Kabaş, are also on trial for their social media comments on Turkey's economy and banks.

In May, Erdoğan said that Turkey was still committed to full membership in the European Union. He must have forgotten that, among hundreds of other hair-raising democratic deficits, he is the president of a country that has banned more than 245,000 websites and domains....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:29 am

Turkey: Military preparations for Syria incursion 'complete'
Al Jazeera confirms movement of Turkish forces and heavy weapons along border with Syria as operation imminent.
an hour ago

Preparations for a major military operation in northeast Syria are complete, Turkey announced on Tuesday after the United States started pulling back troops and opened the way for a Turkish attack on Kurdish-led forces long allied to Washington.

But US President Donald Trump warned he would "obliterate" the NATO ally's economy if it took action in Syria that he considered "off limits" following his decision on Sunday to pull 50 American special forces troops from the border region.

The US withdrawal will leave its Kurdish-led partner - the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) - vulnerable to an incursion by Turkey's military, which brands them "terrorists" because of their links to Kurdish fighters who have waged a decades-long resistance inside Turkey....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:22 am

Turkey Flooding Europe with Migrants
by Soeren Kern October 10, 2019 at 5:00 am

The Greek government has said that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan personally controls the migration flows to Greece and turns them on and off to extract more money and other political concessions from the European Union. In recent months, the Turkish government has repeatedly threatened to open the floodgates of mass migration to Greece, and, by extension, to the rest of Europe.

"If they [the European Union] do not give us the necessary support in this struggle, then we will not be able to stop the 3.5 million refugees from Syria and another two million people who will reach our borders from Idlib." — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

"If we open the floodgates, no European government will be able to survive for more than six months. We advise them not to try our patience." — Turkish Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu.

More than six million migrants are believed to be waiting in countries around the Mediterranean to cross into Europe, according to a classified German government report leaked to the newspaper Bild... More than three million others are waiting in Turkey....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Abiding in His Word on Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:06 pm

David, please check your pm's. :grin:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:34 am

Turkish public, politicians voice support for Syria military push
Citizens and political parties rally behind President Erdogan's Syria move, in defiance of international condemnation.
by Andrew Wilks 24 hours ago

Ankara, Turkey - The Turkish public and political elite have largely thrown their support behind the country's forces fighting in northern Syria, standing in defiance against voices in the international community condemning Ankara's operation in the region.

The attack on the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) was widely praised on the front pages of Turkish newspapers on Thursday, with TV stations showing soldiers heading for the border being cheered by flag-waving crowds.

Special prayers for the operation's success were read in 90,000 mosques across Turkey, the pro-government Sabah newspaper reported....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:36 am

Turkish President Erdoğan lays a trap for Trump
by Kaylee McGhee October 10, 2019 11:01 AM

In his “great and unmatched wisdom,” President Trump has opened the Pandora’s box that is Turkey.

Within 72 hours of U.S. withdrawal in northern Syria, Turkish forces moved into the region and attacked our Kurdish allies. Trump claimed he could contain Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, threatening to tank Turkey’s economy if Erdoğan ordered an attack without U.S. approval. And Erdoğan responded in kind, threatening to release millions of Syrian refugees into Europe if the West labeled Turkey’s military incursion as an occupation.

“We will open the gates and send 3.6 million refugees your way,” Erdoğan said in a speech yesterday.

This is exactly the kind of threat Trump’s national security and military advisers warned him about. Erdoğan is an unpredictable, authoritarian ruler who would extend his reach to every corner of the Middle East if given the chance....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:41 am

Israelis see Trump’s Syria pullout as a ‘betrayal’ that could help unravel the region
By Steve Hendrix Oct. 11, 2019 at 6:57 a.m. PDT

JERUSALEM — The abrupt withdrawal of U.S. troops from northeastern Syria and subsequent Turkish attacks on Kurdish fighters have badly rattled Israel’s national security experts, who decried President Trump’s action as a betrayal of loyal allies and evidence that Israel’s most vital supporter is a fickle friend at best.

Israeli officials reportedly had no warning of the withdrawal, which the White House announced Sunday after a call between Trump and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Other than expressing support for the Kurds, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said little publicly about Trump’s move, which came just as Israel was marking the anniversary of the 1973 Arab-Israeli war. But Israeli media have been dominated by critics from all parts of Israel’s fractious political spectrum worried that American dependability is cracking at a volatile moment in the region....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:42 am

ISIS's Turkish Homecoming
by Con Coughlin October 12, 2019 at 5:00 am

It is, therefore, the epitome of hypocrisy for Mr Erdogan to offer to take responsibility for the ISIS fighters being held in Kurdish-run detention camps... If that really were to happen, and the ISIS captives were repatriated to Turkey, it would, for some, be more like a homecoming.

The far more worrying prospect is that the captives may be able to escape, and return to the ranks of ISIS's terrorist infrastructure....

The ISIS caliphate might no longer exist, but the terrorist organisation itself still continues to operate. Indeed, the latest intelligence assessments are that ISIS is regrouping in countries such as Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Yemen, with the aim of launching a fresh wave of terror attacks against Western targets.

Mr Trump's claim that the war against ISIS is over may prove to be short-lived....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:57 am

Why Turkey Took the Fight to Syria
The Turkish foreign minister says the military operation is necessary for national security and to help displaced Syrians return home.
By Mevlut Cavusoglu Oct. 11, 2019

Mr. Cavusoglu is the foreign minister of Turkey.

ANKARA, Turkey — It is dismaying that Turkey’s military operation in northeastern Syria is being spun in the American news media as an attack on Kurds, as weakening the fight against the remnants of Daesh (or the so-called Islamic State) and hurting America’s credibility with its allies. I am compelled to set the record straight because the 67-year-old NATO alliance that Turkey has with the United States is not temporary, tactical nor transactional.

Turkey started the operation to ensure its national security by removing the danger posed by terrorists along its border regions. This operation will liberate Syrians living there from the tyranny of terrorist organizations and eliminate the threat to Syria’s territorial integrity and political unity. These two developments would facilitate the safe and voluntary return of displaced Syrians.

Turkey has never accepted a corridor run by a terrorist group on its border. We have repeatedly proposed establishing a safe zone, including at the United Nations General Assembly. We have called on the United States to stop providing material support to terrorists....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:45 am

How Erdogan Planned This Ethnic Cleansing All Along
by Malcolm Lowe October 16, 2019 at 5:00 am

As the Voice of America itself reported on January 23, Erdogan's plan was to resettle three million or more refugees from other parts of Syria in this "security zone" extending twenty miles deep into Syria. Twenty miles may not sound much, but – the VOA omitted to mention – almost all the Kurdish towns of northeastern Syria lie within that area. So Erdogan's intention to annihilate the Kurdish presence in that area and replace it with others has been manifest ever since the beginning of 2019.

A whole series of Trump's Republican supporters in the Senate expressed outrage over his decision, starting with Lindsey Graham ("Pray for our Kurdish allies who have been shamelessly abandoned by the Trump Administration") and continuing with Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, who remarked: "As we learned the hard way during the Obama Administration, American interests are best served by American leadership, not by retreat or withdrawal."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:47 am

Turkey, Russia, Iran: Filling the Vacuum
by Erick Stakelbeck October 16, 2019 at 4:00 am

The U.S. Congress is looking to push back against Erdogan's brazen foray into northeastern Syria. For months, there has been a bi-partisan effort on Capitol Hill to convince the Trump administration to implement sanctions on Turkey in the wake of its purchase of the Russian S-400 missile system. The events of this past week will likely only escalate pressure by Congress against the Erdogan regime.

"We defeated ISIS," a Peshmerga general said, "only to see Iran and its Shia militias become stronger. They are filling the vacuum."

Islamist-led Turkey has now joined those same Iranian-led forces in filling that vacuum — with the full acquiescence of the United States....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Interesting Turkey days...

Peace,
Seeker
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Seeker

Postby Ready1 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Seeker wrote:Interesting Turkey days...

Peace,
Seeker

Whew, its been quite a while since I've seen that name on these boards...
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Postby Seeker on Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:18 am

Hey how's it going? Yes been awhile for sure. Nice to see lots of familiar faces still here. Turkeys adventures caught my eye recently. Amazes me that Mr. Erdogan has retained power all this time. Haven't really been following the news much lately until someone at work mentioned Turkey and military actions. So took a little time to catch up on the news. Was reading Isaiah 10-17 again because it speaks of the Assyrian attacking Syria near the time Israel returns to their God.

Regional middle east skirmishes with Turkey are one of the signs I have been looking for. There are many scriptures that indicate the 4th Kingdom will conquer many parts of the middle east in the early days of the final 7 years. Isaiah 10-17 discusses parts of that, I believe anyway. Daniel 11 talks about the kings of the North and South battling it out in several different campaigns prior to the AOD. Syria appears to be conquered earlier than Israel so naturally these recent events are very interesting from my perspective.

Peace,
Seeker
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:12 am

Seeker wrote:Interesting Turkey days...

Peace,
Seeker

Indeed ! Good to hear from you Seeker, been quite a while. One thing about Erdogan, even though he appears to have lost Istanbul, he presses on as if he hasn't, maintaining control of the so called 'hidden masses', the muslim heart of Turkey. They largely do not like or trust the Kurds, thus their support for this latest incursion into Syria. That and their dislike for the Syrian refugees who are taking jobs away from Turks, not a racist thing, or nationality thing. Rather, a simple support for their president, who has masterfully played them into those concepts. Reminds me of the saying, the only friend of a Turk is another Turk.

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:37 am

Erdoğan vows to halt Turkish offensive if Kurds pull back
BY TAL AXELROD - 10/16/19 08:15 AM EDT 253

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said Wednesday he would end Turkey’s offensive in northeastern Syria if Kurdish forces there surrender their weapons and pull out of a planned “safe zone.”

Erdoğan warned that Ankara’s operation would not end until his conditions are met and that he is not willing to negotiate, according to Reuters. He gave the Kurdish groups until Wednesday evening to meet his demands.

The Turkish offensive has sparked bipartisan backlash in Washington, with several lawmakers on Capitol Hill saying they’ll introduce sanctions legislation against Ankara....

Snip... “Turkey’s military offensive is endangering civilians and threatening peace, security, and stability in the region,” said Trump. “I have been perfectly clear with President Erdoğan: Turkey’s action is precipitating a humanitarian crisis and setting conditions for possible war crimes.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Hey David great being here and seeing the thread goes on thx to you. Part Four amazing.

even though he appears to have lost Istanbul,

I really haven't followed any news for quite awhile can you give me a quick Cliff note version concerning Istanbul. Istanbul is vital from my perspective. Thanks!

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:30 am

Seeker wrote:Hey David great being here and seeing the thread goes on thx to you. Part Four amazing.

even though he appears to have lost Istanbul,

I really haven't followed any news for quite awhile can you give me a quick Cliff note version concerning Istanbul. Istanbul is vital from my perspective. Thanks!

Peace,
Seeker

Hi Seeker. The last election cycle in March '19 AKP's nomination was closely out voted in favor of The Nation Alliance (formed of the Republican People's Party (CHP) and the İYİ Party) who fielded their initial candidate Ekrem İmamoğlu. The governing People's Alliance (formed by the AKP and the Nationalist Movement Party) nominated their candidate Binali Yıldırım. Erdogan called for a rerun over supposed irregularities, and İmamoğlu won that one by a substantial margin in the June '19 election. Thus the loss politically of Istanbul. Quite the slap in the face to Erdogan, it was thought Istanbul's mayor may run for president in the 2023 election cycle with a good chance of winning, so it seems at this point. So Erdogan did a reshuffle of cabinet and minister positions, most of which I don't remember, in his effort to squash opposition, and continue with his quest for unobstructed power as president. He's still running the show, but his control is a bit tarnished on the international scene. He still maintains his relationship with Russia and Iran, but the situation is really weird, especially now as the US military was pulled out of Syria. He still hates the Kurds, but maintains a quiet relationship with the Iraqi Kurds, for now. His desire to remove Assad from Syria is on the shelf, also for now, as Russia still has the control levers in Damascus and surrounding provinces. Much more has been reported in this thread, too much for one post.

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:43 am

Kurds say Turkey is violating hours-old 'ceasefire' in northern Syria
By Kareem Khadder, Mohammed Tawfeeq and Eliza Mackintosh, CNN Updated 8:49 AM ET, Fri October 18, 2019

(CNN)Clashes continued on the border between Turkey and Syria on Friday, according to eyewitnesses and Kurdish fighters, despite US Vice President Mike Pence's announcement that he and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had brokered a five-day ceasefire there.

Shelling and artillery fire was reported Friday in the border town of Ras al-Ain, one of the targets of Turkey's week-old offensive against Kurdish fighters, who have long been backed by the United States.

The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) told CNN that shelling by the Turkish military and the Syrian rebel proxies supporting them has hit a number of civilian areas in Ras al-Ain, including a hospital. The SDF says five fighters were killed in the attack....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:43 am

Hi Seeker. The last election cycle in March '19 AKP's nomination was closely out voted in favor of The Nation Alliance

Thx David much appreciated. Gives me a date to start from will check out the election stuff. Need to research Istanbul some anyway been years since I searched for Istanbul news. I still firmly believe it to be the city on 7 hills so perked my interest when I saw you mention it will check it out thx again.

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:18 am

Kurdish forces agree to withdraw from Turkey-Syria border
SDF official says forces will pull back 30km from the border in accordance with deal once Turkey lifts siege. 11 hours ago

A senior Syrian Kurdish official has said his forces will pull back from a border area in accordance with a US-brokered deal after Turkey allows the evacuation of its remaining fighters and civilians from a besieged town in northeast Syria.

Redur Khalil, a senior official of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), said the plan for evacuation from the town of Ras al-Ain was set for Sunday if there were no delays.

The SDF largely consists of fighters from the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG), a group Ankara considers "terrorists" linked to Kurdish separatists on its soil....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:53 am

The US is pulling out of Syria which doesn't bode well for Syria I would think. Syria is a major player in endtime events as well is Turkey. I would have thought the US would hang around as a buffer of sorts. This could get interesting and very terrible for Syria. Kurds pulling back should ease the tensions near term though.

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:41 am

Seeker wrote:The US is pulling out of Syria which doesn't bode well for Syria I would think. Syria is a major player in endtime events as well is Turkey. I would have thought the US would hang around as a buffer of sorts. This could get interesting and very terrible for Syria. Kurds pulling back should ease the tensions near term though.

Peace,
Seeker

All this kinda fell into the hands of Russia. Iran and Turkey have their hands full with them too. One has to wonder, how long can this go on. So many people are affected, refugees of this religion of peace. Very few Christians are left in this war zone. For them, great tribulation has come upon them. And it hardly makes the news cycles.

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

PreviousNext

Return to Prophecy Debate Area