Turkey : Part Tres :)

(heavily moderated)

Re: Turkey : Part Tres :)

Postby Exit40 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:36 am

Turkey expects Gülen’s extradition, end support to YPG from new US administration
DAILY SABAH ISTANBUL Published 11 hours ago

Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said yesterday Turkey has three expectations from the new U.S. administration, which are the extradition of the leader of the Gülenist Terror Group (FETÖ), Fetullah Gülen, ceasing arms support to the PKK's Syrian offshoot the Democratic Union Party (PYD) and its armed wing the People's Protection Units (YPG) and repairing its negative image in the eyes of the Turkish public that came after the failed July 15 coup attempt.

Speaking to media representatives in the Parliament, Yıldırım said that Turkey is hopeful for a shift in the U.S.'s approach toward the Middle East.

"They [U.S.] are saying that they will work closer with Turkey for the future plans because their sphere of influence has been degrading in the region. They are good things. My adviser, İhsan Durdu, went to the U.S. because he was invited to the inauguration."

The prime minister underscored three expectations from the U.S. "First, it should extradite the head [Fetullah Gülen] of the Gülenist Terror Group."...

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:31 am

Turkey’s Parliament Approves Enhanced Powers for President
Lawmakers pass constitutional overhauls sought by Erdogan; public vote is next
By YELIZ CANDEMIR and MARGARET COKER Updated Jan. 20, 2017 10:49 p.m. ET

ISTANBUL—Turkey passed a sweeping constitutional reform package early Saturday that could amplify the powers of the presidency and give President Recep Tayyip Erdogan the possibility of extending his authority by at least a decade.

The bill, which passed through the final vote with 339 votes in parliament, will be submitted to a national referendum in the spring. All 18 articles of the legislation easily amassed more than enough support from the ruling party and its allies in earlier rounds of voting, making its passage in the final stage appear certain.

Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party, or AKP, has described the referendum as a popular vote on Mr. Erdogan himself. Victory would allow him to seek two more five-year terms after his current one ends in 2019, and give him or any future leader more direct influence over parliament as well as the judiciary.

The president’s supporters say the overhauls are the nation’s best path to stability at a time when it is facing fears of a prolonged economic slump, counterterrorism fights at home and across its borders, and the fallout from a failed coup in July....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:59 am

U.S. Under Trump Won’t Send a Delegation to Syria Talks
State Department cites demands of transition for decision not to send a delegation to Kazakhstan
By JAY SOLOMON Jan. 21, 2017 12:27 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON—The Trump administration has decided against sending a U.S. delegation to Kazakhstan for talks on the war in Syria, despite receiving a formal invitation from the Kazakh government with the backing of Russia and Turkey, the State Department said Saturday.

Instead, the U.S. will be represented in Astana only by its ambassador to Kazakhstan.

“The United States is committed to a political resolution to the Syrian crisis through a Syrian-owned process, which can bring about a more representative, peaceful, and united Syria,” the State Department said in a statement. “Given our presidential inauguration and the immediate demands of the transition, a delegation from Washington will not be attending the Astana conference.”...

Snip ... “This is probably the cause of some disagreement between Moscow and Tehran,” Mr. Peskov told the BBC. “It is obvious that without the United States it is impossible to resolve the Syrian issue.”...

Continues

God Bless'

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:14 am

Turkey: Erdogan buoyed by vote for powerful presidency
By SUZAN FRASER and DOMINIQUE SOGUEL
Posted: Jan. 21, 2017 8:00 am Updated: Jan. 21, 2017 11:06 am

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday began campaigning for constitutional reforms that would greatly expand the powers of his office, only hours after a vote in parliament cleared the way for a national referendum on the issue.

Speaking in Istanbul, he hailed the assembly's early-morning decision saying a more powerful presidency will catapult Turkey to a position of strength. "God willing the people will give the true decision, the final decision," Erdogan said.

After an all-night session capping almost two weeks of acrimonious debate, Turkish lawmakers passed the controversial set of 18 articles. The measures still need to be approved in a national plebiscite slated for April. The bill would abolish the role of the prime minister and introduce a presidential system that critics fear lacks effective checks and balances.

A change to the presidential system would be a crowning achievement for Erdogan, who has outmaneuvered and crushed all his major foes....

Snip ... "If this presidential system passes, the state of chaos, crisis, instability, clashes, polarization we've experienced in the past 1½ to 2 years will become institutionalized and made permanent," Hisar Ozsoy of the HDP said in a motion to dismiss the bill. The HDP also demanded that their leaders and representatives jailed on "terrorism-related" charges be allowed to cast votes — a request that was ignored....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:26 am

Britain ‘putting arms sales to Turkey above human rights’
Campaigners say UK pursues profits as Erdoğan continues crackdown
Jamie Doward Saturday 21 January 2017 19.05 EST Last modified on Saturday 21 January 2017 19.07 EST

Britain has sold almost £50m-worth of arms to Turkey since the crackdown on opposition groups by the government of Recep Tayyip Erdoğan after last year’s failed coup attempt.

Newly published export statistics confirm that Turkey is now a major buyer of UK-made weapons.

Between 1 July and 30 September, the UK sold Turkey £26m-worth of ML13 licences, which relate to exports of armoured plate, body armour and helmets. In addition, Britain sold Turkey £8.5m-worth of ML10 licences, for aircraft, helicopters and drones, and almost £4m-worth of ML4 licences, for missiles, bombs and “counter-measures”.

Since 2015 the UK has sold Turkey £330m-worth of arms. The country is on the Department for International Trade’s list of “priority markets” for arms exports. But the sales come amid mounting concerns about the abuse of human rights. Last week Turkish MPs held a second and final round of voting on constitutional changes to give President Erdoğan sweeping new powers. Under the plans, he will be able to choose ministers and judges and the post of prime minister will be axed. Critics have seen the move as a power grab....

Snip ...“The political situation in Turkey is unstable, and the crackdown has meant that the repression is getting even worse,” said Andrew Smith, of Campaign Against Arms Trade. “This should be a time for caution and the promotion of human rights, not arms sales. The government is always telling us how rigorous its arms export criteria supposedly are, yet it continues to arm and support repressive governments across the world....

Contitnues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:55 am

January 23, 2017, 12:04 am
Intelligence will be back — and a likely shootdown of a North Korean test missile aimed at us.

Now that our national nightmare — the perennial presidential horse-race — is interrupted, we have entered the two-year period in our four-year election cycle when we can actually deal with the realities beyond the media’s nose. There’s a lot of SGO for President Trump to deal with and think about. Most of it is already landing on his desk with a loud thump....

... Skip ...

...Erdogan has been gradually realigning Turkey away from its NATO membership and toward cooperation with Russia. Erdogan has conferred with Putin in Moscow (and otherwise) several times, engaging in failed peace talks supposedly aimed at a settlement of the almost six-year long Syrian war....

... Russia is, of course, partnered with Iran as well as with Turkey. Erdogan, an Islamist, is a Sunni Muslim. Iran is his — and Turkey’s — enemy in a religious war that has been going on for about thirteen hundred years. Erdogan is apparently a Palmerstonian, believing that Turkey has no permanent friends or enemies, only permanent interests that he must pursue. Those interests are a mixture of Sunni dogma and Turkish nationalist ambitions. He has, for example, declared that once Mosul is liberated from ISIS, only Sunni Muslims should be permitted to live there.

That interest is contrary to those of the United States....

... Whatever Putin’s motive, Trump would have found that he has no influence to bring to bear in the talks.

It’s not in the interests of the United States to sit at the kids’ table and only be able to watch negotiations unfold. To do so would trap us into agreeing with the results, which we can predict won’t be consistent with our interests. Unless and until we can have a major influence on them, we shouldn’t participate in any such negotiations....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:27 am

Investors to pour $5.2 bln into terror-hit Turkish regions: PM Yıldırım
ANKARA Tuesday,January 24 2017, Your time is 4:19:41 AM

Ankara has collected initial applications from 1,200 investors for 19.6 billion Turkish Liras ($5.22 billion) of regional projects to benefit government incentives, Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said on Jan. 24.

“The goal of the Attraction Centers Program is to make the regions that are disturbed by terrorism secure and launch already-late investments at the same time to curb migration,” Yıldırım told a news conference in Ankara regarding the program.

“As of Jan. 11, pre-requests from 1,200 applications for our Attraction Centers Program in 23 provinces has reached 19.6 billion liras,” he said.

The demand for such projects is expected to create an estimated 112,400 jobs in the country’s eastern and southeastern provinces, the prime minister added.

The government announced last June that it would introduce hassle-free investment zones for companies in eastern Turkey, where some of the country’s most under-developed provinces are located....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:34 am

Will the ‘Troika format’ of Astana talks bring peace to Syria?

Representatives of the Syria regime and rebel groups along with other attendees take part in the first session of Syria peace talks at Astana’s Rixos President Hotel on January 23, 2017. (AFP)
By Fuad Shahbazov Tuesday, 24 January 2017 Text size A A A
On January 23, the next phase of peace talks started in the capital of Kazakhstan, Astana. Syria’s government and opposition forces are to meet in Kazakh capital Astana for the first time since the fall of Aleppo.

Negotiations between the Syrian government delegation and rebel fighters, sponsored by Russia and Turkey – who have been backing different sides of the conflict – are expected to last three days.

One of the most significant points of the talks is that this time Syrian opposition is represented mainly by the militant groups, which fight in Syria, not just by secular, and political forces. Nevertheless, uncertainty prevails over all aspects of the talks - from the attendant list to the agenda of the meeting....

Snip ... Apparently, Astana talks could be seen as a new phenomenon in the history of Syrian talks, as a new “neutral platform” of peace negotiations make possible to quit “Geneva platform” – also neutral but de-facto led by the West. The new tendency in peace process allowed to dislocate the centre of negotiations directly to the East, which is very suitable for the members of Troika....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:45 am

Russia and Turkey push Syria's warring sides to seal truce
By Denis Dyomkin and John Irish | ASTANA Tue Jan 24, 2017 | 3:07am EST

Syria's warring sides met for their first talks in nine months on Monday, with their Russian and Turkish backers pushing to cement a ceasefire that could pave the way for political talks.

The meeting in the Kazakh capital comes at a time when Turkey, which backs the rebels, and Russia, which supports Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, each want to disentangle themselves from the fighting.

That has led them into an ad-hoc alliance that some believe represents the best chance for progress towards a peace deal, especially with the United States distracted by domestic issues.

After facing each other to make opening remarks on Monday, the rival delegations spent the rest of the day negotiating indirectly through intermediaries and at times trading barbs. But the rebel side expressed optimism about Moscow's position.

"We noticed a real understanding on the part of the Russians," Yahya al-Aridi, an opposition spokesman, told reporters....

Snip ... But he added: "There is momentum now. The Russians hold the keys. It's now time to use them."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:57 am

‘Conservative, religious, nationalist’ bloc to dominate Turkey’s future
BARÇIN YİNANÇ Tuesday,January 24 2017, Your time is 4:38:50 AM

‘Conservative, religious, nationalist’ bloc to dominate Turkey’s future
A recent poll conducted by Kadir Has University (KHAS) shows that there has been a huge consolidation on the right-wing of Turkish politics, with grassroots support for the ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) leadership reaching very high levels, according to Hasan Bülent Kahraman.

Nearly 60 to 70 percent of society is made up of conservative, religious, and nationalist voters, and it will be this bloc’s ideology that will continue to dominate Turkey for the foreseeable future, said Kahraman, who is the vice president of KHAS.

What did you find particularly striking in this year’s poll?

One of the most important findings is that Turkey, once again, can be regarded as a society divided into two groups: One is the conservative, religious and nationalist group which has around 60 percent of people and may even go up to 70 percent. This is a huge figure.

In the 1970s Turkey was considered a society where 70 percent were on the right of center and 30 percent were on the left of center. This was the amount of votes that parties on the moderate right and moderate left could get in elections. We are once again back to that point....

Snip ... People put their personal ideas, feelings and frustrations before the facts, but the facts are very obvious: There is a 70 percent majority in Turkey and it is their way of thinking, their ideological thinking, that is already dominating and will dominate in the future....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:19 am

Why the West ‘failed to understand’ Turkey
By Ramazan Güveli Jan 25, 2017

The ‘coup attempt’ has very conveniently allowed the Turkish regime to accelerate and extend purges, imprisonments, and property confiscation to ever widening sectors of society and dismantle the separation of powers, writes Ramazan Güveli.

The government of Turkey has been repeatedly blasting the West for not understanding Turkey and its actions after the failed coup. It accuses the European Parliament of being naïve for its vote to freeze Turkey’s accession temporarily. According to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his government, there is no doubt that the coup was solely the work of Gülenists, who have infiltrated the army, and they must be cleansed from the state. But what the Turkish government fails to understand is that the West does not see the picture as its painter sees it, and the closure of media outlets and arrest of journalists, academics, opposition politicians and other critical voices are not justified in their eyes.

A report by the EU intelligence centre Intcen was recently leaked by The Times. The content took few by surprise, but rather endorsed public opinion in Europe regarding the coup. The report concluded that President Erdoğan planned to purge opposition forces in the military before July’s attempted coup and that the coup was mounted by a range of opponents to Erdoğan and his ruling AK Party. This contradicts the Turkish government’s claim that exiled preacher Fethullah Gülen was behind the plot to overthrow the Turkish government.

President Erdoğan and his government are expending a great deal of effort and money on lobbying in the US and Europe to convince their leaders and public opinion to hold Gülen and his movement responsible for the coup and take punitive action against them....

Snip ... Erdoğan is now trying to extend his power beyond Turkey’s borders, using the same propaganda methods abroad, and aims to take over Gülen movement affiliated schools in Africa and Asia, which would help him to extend his influence: his critics portray him as hoping to become the new ‘Sultan’ of the Muslim world....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:37 am

Russia's knockout game in Syria
A series of successful wiles and meticulous manoeuvring allowed Russia to become the main architect of Syria's future.
SYRIA'S CIVIL WAR YESTERDAY

Russia and Turkey recently concluded talks in Astana about Syria. It was a remarkable cooperation given that Turkey shot down a Russian fighter jet just over a year ago, damaging relations between the two countries.

What tactics has Russia used to manage such delicate relationships and become the main architect of the future of Syria? If we look at the past and present, we can see a successful pattern of Russian manoeuvring.

In July 2015, the commander of Iran's elite Quds force, Qassem Soleimani, visited Moscow, after which Russia entered the Syrian war. Russia then moved towards working with the Obama administration as co-partners in developing ceasefires, an International Support Group for Syria, and a United Nations-led Geneva process. The cooperation with the US did not work; however, Russia achieved its goal of appearing an equal to the US globally....

Snip ... Will Turkey, like the US and the UN before it, then get knocked out of the game after Russia achieves its aims of a ceasefire. Will it be left behind as Vladimir Putin clambers up the ladder of control in Syria?...

Continues

**** Hard to find any concrete news on the Astana meetings. So far, this opinion piece is about it. D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:03 am

Turkey puts Fethullah Gulen, 269 others on trial over coup bid
Updated: Jan 30, 2017, 06.00 PM IST

ANKARA: Turkey on Monday opened the biggest trial yet over the failed July coup aimed at ousting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, trying 270 suspects including, in absentia, the alleged mastermind Fethullah Gulen.

The suspects, 152 of whom are in pre-trial detention, include ex high-ranking military officials like former Aegean Army Command Chief of Staff Major General Memduh Hakbilen, the state news agency Anadolu reported.

The "number one" suspect is US-based Islamic preacher Gulen who is charged with ordering the failed July 15 coup, an accusation he strongly denies.

Ankara also accuses the movement Gulen leads of being a "terror organisation" although the group insists it is a peaceful organisation promoting moderate Islam....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby ToledoDebbie on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:44 am

We have all been closely watching the events play out in Turkey. I just read an interesting article from Joel Rosenberg this morning. Still digesting the conclusions he has drawn, but, wanted to share here:
http://www.prophezine.com/index.php?opt ... -and-tubal
ToledoDebbie

Postby Jericho on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:19 am

This thread has been viewed over 300,000 times. :shock:
Formerly SwordOfGideon
Jericho

Postby Ready1 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:57 pm

ToledoDebbie wrote:We have all been closely watching the events play out in Turkey. I just read an interesting article from Joel Rosenberg this morning. Still digesting the conclusions he has drawn, but, wanted to share here:
http://www.prophezine.com/index.php?opt%20...%20-and-tubal

Please note that this is NOT Joel Rosenburg.

This is Joel Richardson
Just observing.

E.
Ready1

Postby ToledoDebbie on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:25 pm

Ready1 wrote:
ToledoDebbie wrote:We have all been closely watching the events play out in Turkey. I just read an interesting article from Joel Rosenberg this morning. Still digesting the conclusions he has drawn, but, wanted to share here:
http://www.prophezine.com/index.php?opt%20...%20-and-tubal

Please note that this is NOT Joel Rosenburg.

This is Joel Richardson

Thanks for the correction!!
Debbie
ToledoDebbie

Postby Exit40 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:41 am

Jericho wrote:This thread has been viewed over 300,000 times. :shock:

Yes, 10,000 in just the last month. With Part Deaux it is 662,000 plus, and with the original Turkey thread it is well over a million. It crossed that threshold some time ago. I wonder if the originator njfish, Nathan, has any idea of what he started. While there is not much discussion of late, occasionally it gets heated up and we grt going again. From all the news articles of the past it is apparent Presidents Erdogans rise to power and soon to become near dictatorial authority is a masterful piece of sociopolitical legerdemain regionally. He has a huge goal for Turkey in the millennial year 2023, and it remains to be seen of course how all this is going to work out. Certainly the 6 year war in Syria has played deeply into this. At this point what is interesting to me is the lack of information coming out of the Astana agreement on the sharing of powers and duties in Syria between Assad, Putin, Khamenei, and Erdogan, not to mention Netenyahu and now Trump. All these are major players in end items Prophecy, if now is the actual time of the end.

God Bless

David
Last edited by Exit40 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:48 am

http://www.prophezine.com/index.php?opt ... -and-tubal

I am of the belief all the battles of Ps 83, the early chapters of Isaiah, Ezekiel 38-39, and numerous other Scriptures, are part of the conflagration culminating in Armageddon, all taking place in the final 3.5 years of the Great Tribulation which commences at the AoD. Thanks for the link ToledoDebbie, I always enjoy reading Joel's take on things.

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby kirthril on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:55 am

Exit40 wrote:
Jericho wrote:This thread has been viewed over 300,000 times. :shock:

Yes, 10,000 in just the last month. With Part Deaux it is 662,000 plus, and with the original Turkey thread it is well over a million. It crossed that threshold some time ago. I wonder if the originator njfish, Nathan, has any idea of what he started. While there is not much discussion of late, occasionally it gets heated up and we grt going again. From all the news articles of the past it is apparent Presidents Erdogans rise to power and soon to become near dictatorial authority is a masterful piece of sociopolitical legerdemain regionally. He has a huge goal for Turkey in the millennial year 2023, and it remains to be seen of course how all this is going to work out. Certainly the 6 year war in Syria has played deeply into this. At this point what is interesting to me is the lack of information coming out of the Astana agreement on the sharing of powers and duties in Syria between Assad, Putin, Khamenei, and Erdogan, not to mention Netenyahu and now Trump. All these are major players in end items Prophecy, if now is the actual time of the end.

God Bless

David

I'm mind blown at this. 10,000 in the just the last month? On just this one thread?
It can't just be us. We must have a large lurker following.

C'MON OUT YALL! :grin: :grin:
"It is not who I am...But what I do that defines me" -Batman, Batman Begins
kirthril

Postby Exit40 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:39 am

kirthril wrote:I'm mind blown at this. 10,000 in the just the last month? On just this one thread?
It can't just be us. We must have a large lurker following.

C'MON OUT YALL! :grin: :grin:

Concurrent with the surge here, there are a couple threads of ST's that had huge mega numbers of hits, dwarfing this ones. Noticeably, there were no extra comments though. This went on for a while, but has since diminished. ST, care to chime in here on this ?

God Bless you

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:17 am

Turkish FM: FETO will 'pay the price' at home, abroad
Cavusoglu meets with Paraguayan counterpart; looks to increase cooperation against FETO
ASUNCION, PARAGUAY - JANUARY 31: By Mustafa Keles ASUNCION, Paraguay

Turkey continues to fight the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) "at home and abroad", that country’s foreign minister said late Tuesday.

The terror group "will pay the price everywhere it functions”, Mevlut Cavusoglu said at a joint news conference with his Paraguayan counterpart Eladio Loizaga.

Paraguay showed "great solidarity" with Turkey after the failed coup attempt last summer, Cavusoglu said.

"I presented my friend [Loizaga] about FETO's structuring in Paraguay during a meeting in New York, therefore he followed the situation closely," said Cavusoglu. "Now we have updated our list so our cooperation against FETO will continue to increase."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:45 am

Turkey’s Moves Against Dissent
Purges in the country are an expression of an authoritarian transition underway for years, analysts say.
By Nick Ashdown | Contributor Feb. 1, 2017, at 1:07 p.m.

ANKARA, Turkey — When pressed to recall the police detentions she has faced during the past two months, Nuriye Gülmen says they are so frequent that she now has trouble counting the interval from one to another.

"Was it six days ago that we were last taken into custody?" the 34-year-old leftist academic asked her comrade, 27-year-old Semih Özakça, in late December. Both have been protesting being dismissed from their positions for alleged ties to illegal organizations.

The two academics are among more than 125,000 people that Reuters reported were fired or suspended across Turkey in government-led purges following an attempted military coup last summer that has led to an ongoing state of emergency.

Following action in late January by Turkish lawmakers to expand President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's authority, analysts say the purges are part of a broader movement to eliminate public criticism. This week, Freedom House, a Washington, D.C.,-based nongovernmental organization, issued a report stating that the country is experiencing its worst decline in personal freedom in more than a decade.

"I tend to see the coup (attempt) as having acted as a radical accelerant to a transition that's been underway for a number of years," says Howard Eissenstat, an expert on Turkey who teaches at St. Lawrence University....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:58 am

Turkey violated Greek airspace 138 times in one day – Defense Ministry
Published time: 2 Feb, 2017 03:41

Tensions between Greece and Turkey - both NATO members - are mounting after Athens accused Ankara of violating Greek airspace above historically disputed islets, and with the fallout over Greece’s refusal to hand over coup suspects to Turkey still fresh.
The Greek Defense Ministry said it has registered 138 violations of the country’s airspace on Wednesday, Reuters reported citing the minister who claimed that all the violators have been “intercepted.”

“We want peace, we are not looking for a fight or for trouble in the Aegean, but there won't be an aircraft which will not be intercepted,” Greek Defence Minister Panos Kammenos told Antenna Television.

All the airspace violations occurred in the central and southern Aegean above tiny Greek islets, disputed by the two countries.

The already strained relations between the two NATO nations escalated quickly after the Greek Supreme Court last Thursday, blocked the extradition of Turkish military officers whom Ankara accused of involvement in the botched coup attempt in July 2016....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:22 am

Erdogan rebukes Merkel over 'Islamist terror' comment

ANKARA - Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Thursday rebuked German Chancellor Angela Merkel for using the expression "Islamist terrorism", saying the phrase was not correct and saddened Muslims.

Speaking after a critical bilateral meeting with Erdogan, Merkel spoke of the need for Turkey and Germany to cooperate even further to fight against terror, including "Islamist terrorism" and Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militants.

"We spoke in detail about... the questions of the fight against Islamist terrorism, against every form of terrorism, also the terrorism of the PKK," she said alongside Erdogan at his palace in Ankara. "We agree we want to cooperate, we are all affected by this. We agreed to have closer cooperation in the future," she said. Erdogan, sitting next to Merkel, was stony-faced as she spoke.

Muslims oppose any equating of Islam and terror, arguing those who commit crimes purportedly in the name of Islam have nothing to do with a religion that espouses peace.

"This expression 'Islamist terror' seriously saddens us Muslims," Erdogan replied, glancing sternly at the German chancellor. "Such an expression is not correct because Islam and terror cannot be associated. The meaning of Islam is peace."

Snip ... Germany is home to some three million people of Turkish origin, the biggest population of Turks in the world outside Turkey....

Continues

**** See next post for the translation of the word, islam. D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:30 am

What is the meaning of the word "islam" ?
By ROSEMARY PENNINGTON
Posted October 1, 2008

Many religions have a concept of surrendering to God.

In Arabic, the word “Islam” means submission or surrender – however, it was derived from the root word “salam”. From this root word, you can also derive the words 'peace and safety'. Many people feel that Islam implies some sort of enslavement to Allah, but others find it more helpful to define the word “Islam” as surrender.

http://muslimvoices.org/word-islam-meaning/

**** Check out this thread from 2008 : A Different Take on Peace and Safety . D ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:40 am

Alexander Dugin - The one Russian linking Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin and Recep Tayyip Erdogan
‘He’s seen as a brilliant philosopher, but brilliance and madness are very close to each other.’
Henry Meyer, Onur Ant 4 hours ago

The Russian ultra-nationalist dubbed “Putin’s Rasputin” by Breitbart News when it was run by President Donald Trump’s chief strategist, Steve Bannon, has emerged as an unlikely foreign-policy fixer for the Kremlin.

Alexander Dugin, whose bushy beard gives him a passing resemblance to the Siberian mystic who bewitched the last czar’s family, says he played a key but largely clandestine role in patching up Russia’s relations with Turkey, an account confirmed by a senior figure in Ankara. And with people he calls ideological allies now in the White House, Dugin says he’s bullish on better ties with the US, too....

Snip ... Dugin, who’s been described as everything from an occult fascist to a mystical imperialist, lost his prestigious job running the sociology department at Moscow State University in 2014 after activists accused him of encouraging genocide. Thousands of people signed a petition calling for his removal after a rant in support of separatists in Ukraine in which he said, “kill, kill, kill.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:26 am

A tough campaign ahead of Turkey’s Erdoğan
MURAT YETKİN Tuesday,February 7 2017, Your time is 6:17:50 AM

There was an important meeting between President Tayyip Erdoğan and Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım in Istanbul on Feb. 5.

There are a number of high-priority issues in the dossiers of the two from the ongoing military operation in Syria to the prospective one in Iraq, and from the tension with Greece over the Aegean to the growing headache with the Donald Trump administration in the United States.

But the highest priority for Turkish leaders these days is possibly the April referendum over the constitutional shift to the executive presidential system.

The two met for three hours last week, apart from a National Security Board (MGK) meeting and an opening ceremony in the southern province of Mersin, and it was reported that the main issue of that three-hour meeting was the referendum.

The “yes” campaign of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Parti) is expected to start tomorrow on Feb. 7, and all indications show that it is going to be a difficult one for them. And that is not because of the strength of the already fragmented “no” campaigners. It is because of the uncertainties within the “yes” camp....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:29 am

Ottoman princess stumps for Erdogan
Author Amberin Zaman Posted February 6, 2017

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan makes no secret of his yearning for the Ottoman Empire that was abolished by Kemal Ataturk, the founder of the modern republic, with the stroke of a pen. Critics say this nostalgia and Erdogan’s seeming unquenchable thirst for power indicate he wants to become a latter-day sultan with all the position’s glory and accoutrements.

His campaign to endow himself with constitutionally enshrined executive authority — many call it one-man rule — is being cheered on by a real Ottoman princess. But Nilhan Osmanoglu’s blessing has had unintended effects, signaling that it won’t all be smooth sailing for Erdogan.

A referendum on the package containing the constitutional amendment that is meant to clear Erdogan’s path to an executive presidency is due to be held in early April. But some recent opinion polls put the no votes, albeit narrowly, ahead of the yes. This may explain why Erdogan has yet to approve the package, which has been sitting on his desk for several days after being rammed through the parliament. There is speculation that he may tweak it in the hopes of winning more support.

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origina ... z4Y0f5TOxs

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:49 am

Erdogan, Trump agree to act jointly against Islamic State in Syria: Turkish sources
Wed Feb 8, 2017 | 3:38am EST

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and U.S. President Donald Trump agreed in a phone call overnight to act jointly against Islamic State in the Syrian towns of al-Bab and Raqqa, both controlled by the militants, Turkish presidency sources said on Wednesday.

The two leaders discussed issues including a safe zone in Syria, the refugee crisis and the fight against terror, the sources said. They also said Erdogan had urged the United States not to support the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia.

Trump spoke about the two countries' "shared commitment to combating terrorism in all its forms" and welcomed Turkey's contributions to the fight against Islamic State, the White House said in a statement, but it gave no further details.

The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), an alliance of U.S.-backed militias, started a new phase of its campaign against Islamic State in Raqqa on Saturday....

Snip ... The Turkish sources said new CIA Director Mike Pompeo would visit Turkey on Thursday to discuss the YPG, and battling the network of U.S.-based Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Turkey accuses of orchestrating a July coup attempt....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:12 am

Readout of the President's Call with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan of Turkey

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... Fan-turkey

**** Our not so normally closed lip President has something up his sleeve, methinks. D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:21 am

Shaking it up: Gulen accused of plotting earthquakes in Turkey
Published February 8th, 2017 - 12:00 GMT via SyndiGate.info

The US-based cleric who was blamed for last year's failed coup attempt in Turkey could be plotting earthquakes in the region, the mayor of Ankara suggested on Tuesday.

Fethullah Gulen, who had allegedly planned an earthquake before, could be behind recent tremors felt in Turkey, Mayor Melih Gokcek claimed in a series of tweets published on Twitter.

"No matter what they say, we continue to worry about the possibility of an artificial earthquake," Gökçek wrote, accusing "the Gulenist terrorist organisation (FETO) of previously attempting quakes".

"Their plan was failed after the strategy was disclosed to the public on that time. But currently they are trying to originate an economic crisis with the help of the major earthquake (artificial)," he wrote in English.

Meanwhile, a pro-government commentator accused the Gulen group and "deep NATO" - specified as the United States and Britain - of involvement in recent earthquakes, as part of what he described as a "multi-dimensional" coup plot....

Continues

**** Turks continue to love their conspiracy theories. D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:40 am

Turkey confirms April 16 as referendum date
Referendum on key constitutional changes will be held on April 16, chairman of Election Board says
ANKARA 11.02.2017 Ankara

The chairman of Turkey’s Supreme Board of Elections officially announced on Saturday that the upcoming referendum on major constitutional changes will be held on April 16.

Sadi Guven's press conference came one day after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan approved the constitutional amendment package to shift Turkey’s existing parliamentary system to a presidential one.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim had announced the date Friday shortly after Erdogan's approval....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:45 am

Turkey’s Erdogan Approves Referendum on Presidential Power
Public to get say in vote on constitutional changes that would give leader more authority
By NED LEVIN Updated Feb. 10, 2017 1:33 p.m. ET

ISTANBUL—President Recep Tayyip Erdogan gave official approval for a national vote on changes to Turkey’s constitution that would concentrate authority in his office.

His signing of a referendum bill on Friday set the stage for a public showdown between a leader who has steadily sought more power and detractors who say to give it to him would be dangerous.

The referendum will likely be held on April 16, Turkish officials said.

Mr. Erdogan’s supporters say the changes would streamline the government and better equip it to deal with security challenges and a sputtering economy. The government launched a massive crackdown following a failed coup attempt in July, while the country has seen an increase in attacks by the Islamic State terror group and by Kurdish separatists. Turkey’s economy contracted in the third quarter of last year for the first time since 2009.

A video released by the ruling Justice and Development party, or AKP, promised that a yes vote would result in lessened bureaucracy, faster growth and lasting political stability. “Terror will fall off Turkey’s agenda,” the video’s narrator says....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:05 am

Syria conflict: What is at stake in the battle of al-Bab?
By Fabrice Balanche 11 February 2017 Washington Institute for Near East Polic

The Syrian town of al-Bab was rather insignificant until it emerged as a strategic stake between the Syrian president and his allies (Russia and Iran), Turkey, the Kurdish PYD (Democratic Union Party) and the so-called Islamic State group.
Situated just north-east of Aleppo, this small administrative centre of the larger al-Bab district has about 100,000 inhabitants, in addition to 50,000 people living in its suburbs.

Al-Bab was quickly occupied by rebels in spring 2012, and subsequently seized by IS during the winter of 2013-2014, which eliminated the other rebel factions. The town has since become an IS stronghold, home to many foreign jihadists and their families. It has served as the basis of IS's offensives against the Syrian army and the rebels in Aleppo province.
Today, the city and its suburbs (Qabasin, Bizaa and Tadif) are almost surrounded. Operation Euphrates Shield forces, led by the Turkish army, are closing in from the north, while the Syrian army, which has quickly advanced over the last two weeks, moves in from the south.

The Russian air force has also bombed the IS positions south of al-Bab, leaving Turkish aviation to strike targets in the city itself. This suggests that rather than competition between the Syrian army and the Euphrates Shield forces for al-Bab, there is coordination and a shared area of influence....

Snip ... President Assad is not pleased with Turkey creating a zone of influence in the north, less than 30km (20 miles) from Aleppo. Al-Bab was expected to have fallen to the Syrian army, which has been only 10km south of the city since January 2016. But the Russo-Turkish agreements seem to have decided otherwise....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:48 am

Erdogan to consult Saudi leaders on regional issues
GHAZANFAR ALI KHAN | Published — Monday 13 February 2017

RIYADH: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who on Sunday kicked off his three-nation Gulf tour in Bahrain, will arrive in the Saudi capital on Monday for consultations with top Saudi officials on key bilateral and regional issues.

“The visit of the Turkish president to the Kingdom comes at a significant time and context,” Turkish Ambassador Yunus Demirer told Arab News on Sunday.

“Cooperation between the Kingdom and Turkey is today more relevant and crucial than ever, taking into consideration regional and global challenges. Turkey and Saudi Arabia share identical views on regional issues such as Syria, Iraq and Yemen, as well as issues like terrorism.”

He said Erdogan will also visit Qatar during the tour. The president’s talks with Gulf leaders will include cooperation in energy, trade and investment. One of the top issues that will be discussed will be Ankara’s fight against terrorism....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:00 am

Turkish opposition subsidizes scores of state lawmakers' trips
Liz Essley Whyte Published 10:01 a.m. ET Feb. 9, 2017 | Updated 1:27 p.m. ET Feb. 9, 2017

More than 150 state legislators from places like Idaho and Texas accepted subsidized junkets from a Turkish opposition group that the country’s government now blames for an attempted coup.

State legislators who rarely get involved in foreign policy matters were courted with international trips.

The invitations came from a powerful religious movement that until recently ran media outlets and a bank before falling out with the government in Turkey, a pivotal U.S. ally that serves as the gateway to the Middle East. Though followers of the movement deny having supported the failed coup, Turkey has asked the United States to extradite its leader, Fethullah Gulen, a reclusive Islamic cleric who lives in a compound not in Ankara or Istanbul but in the woods of Pennsylvania.

The Center for Public Integrity documented the extent of the trips, which in some cases cost more than $7,000, and found that some state lawmakers who took them later introduced resolutions supporting Gulen’s controversial Hizmet movement. Some even have supported charter schools that are part of a network from the nation's capital to California of roughly 160 taxpayer-financed schools that friends of the movement run....

Snip ... One Gulen-movement member estimated that more than 7,000 movement-sponsored trips for North Americans occurred between 2003 and 2010, at an estimated cost of $17.5 million. The trips included mayors, university professors, journalists and other community leaders from across the United States....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:45 am

Erdogan caught between Trump, Putin in Syria war
Author Cengiz Çandar Posted February 13, 2017

On Feb. 9, when I heard reports that a Russian aircraft had accidentally bombed a Turkish position in al-Bab, killing four soldiers and wounding 10 others, I did not immediately think that it might not have been an accident. I thought that way because I am generally immune to the conspiracy theories that are rampant in Turkey, just as they are in most Middle Eastern countries.

The Turkish army quickly issued a communique saying the bombing was an "accident." However, there was no mention of an “accident” in the Russian version that came later. In the Russian version, there was no mention of “regret” either. A day later, the Russians were a bit more articulate. They issued another statement, implicitly putting the blame on the Turkish side for having given the wrong coordinates on the deployment of Turkish troops, resulting in the casualties.

The Turkish General Staff quickly rebutted the Russian “interpretation,” pointing out that the coordinates of the location where the Turkish casualties occurred had been given to the Russian side eight days previously and also the night before....

Snip ... Perhaps the timing of the Russian Foreign Ministry’s statement regarding the Syrian Kurdish forces People’s Protection Units (YPG) was not a coincidence as well. The statement emphasized that the Kurdish presence is necessary for the quest of a peaceful and lasting settlement of the Kurdish issue and that Russia does not consider the Syrian Kurdish groups to be terrorist organizations. The statement came on the same day when the Turkish position was hit by Russians and only hours after it was announced that Erdogan had asked Trump to stop cooperating with the Syrian Kurds....

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origina ... z4YfPo874R

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:22 am

Germany investigates possible anti-Gulen spies
Date 15.02.2017

German police have raided apartments of four men suspected of carrying out espionage on behalf of the Turkish government. The men, said to be clerics, are accused of spying on supporters of cleric Fethullah Gulen.

German authorities said on Wednesday that they had raided the apartments of four imams suspected of spying on opponents of the Turkish government.

The Federal Public Prosecutor's Office (GBA) said the raids, in the states of North Rhine-Westphalia and Rhineland-Palatinate, were to find evidence. No arrests were made.

The GBA said the imams were believed to have given information to a Turkish diplomatic mission about followers of the cleric Fethullah Gulen. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused US-based Gulen of instigating a failed military coup in July last year, and has launched a crackdown on his supporters inside Turkey....

Snip ... German Justice Minister Heiko Maas said the four men were members of Ditib, Germany's largest association of mosques. The group brings imams from Turkey to serve Germany's Turkish community, which numbers some three million people.
"It is very clear that the influence of the Turkish state on Ditib is big," said Maas in a statement. "The association must plausibly disengage itself from Ankara."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:50 am

Turkey’s economy and a timely Gulf trip
Dr. Manuel Almeida | Published — Friday 17 February 2017

This week’s Gulf tour by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is another indicator of how much the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) has invested in deepening Turkey’s relations with the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states.

In part, this leap toward the GCC bears the imprint of Ahmet Davutoglu. The former prime minister and minister of foreign affairs was the main architect of AKP’s foreign policy doctrine, based on a neo-Ottoman vision and Islamic (namely Sunni) identity and solidarity. Close ties with the West were gradually replaced by a suspicion about Western values and a greater focus on the Middle East.

Despite disagreements between Turkey and some of the GCC states over political developments in Egypt since the Arab uprisings, events in the region over the last few years have pushed the two sides closer. This is reflected in the delegation of key ministers and many businessmen traveling alongside Erdogan in this week’s visits to Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Qatar, as well as the variety of issues discussed....

Snip ... An almost perfect storm has fallen on Turkey. The impact of and involvement in the war in Syria, terrorist attacks across the country, the revival of the Kurdish insurgency, and the botched military coup of July 2016 have built a great sense of instability. The failed coup was followed by a purge of hundreds of businessmen allegedly linked to Fethullah Gulen, the hugely influential Turkish preacher accused by the government of orchestrating it....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:53 am

Turkey Ruling Party Resigns over ‘Civil War’ Warning
20 hours ago February 16, 2017

A senior regional official with Turkey’s ruling party resigned Thursday after saying the country risked civil war if there was not a ‘yes’ vote in a referendum on giving President Recep Tayyip Erdogan greater powers.

Turkey is to vote on April 16 on whether to approve changes in the constitution to create an executive presidency in the country that critics warn could lead to one-man rule.

But Ozan Erdem, deputy head of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) in the western province of Manisa, this week warned that “if we don’t get 50 percent… prepare yourself for civil war.”

His comments were lambasted by the opposition but also troubled conservatives as tensions increase in Turkey’s already polarised society ahead of the referendum.

Erdem resigned from his job on Thursday, while contending that “my comments were not presented in a way that reflected what I wanted to say.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:07 am

FM Çavuşoğlu, US Secretary of State Tillerson discuss FETÖ, PYD and Cyprus

DAILY SABAH WITH ANADOLU AGENCY ISTANBUL Published 10 hours ago

Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu and the U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson met for the first time on Thursday in Bonn, Germany to discuss several issues concerning both countries.

The top diplomats met on the sidelines of the G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting and discussed the bilateral relations between the U.S. and Turkey, the ongoing Cyprus talks, the PYD/YPG's activities in Syria as well as the Gülenist terror group (FETÖ).

As Turkey looks to open a fresh chapter with the new administration in Washington, the first disagreement Ankara wants to resolve with Washington is the U.S.'s support for the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which is predominantly led by the PKK terror organization's Syrian offshoot the PYD/YPG.

"The new [U.S] administration is aware of the mistakes of the previous administration. We will continue to work together to find ways to correct those mistakes and to develop more powerful strategies," Çavuşoğlu told reporters after his meeting with Tillerson....

Continues

God Bless
'
David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:48 am

Erdogan Biopic to Hit European Screens in March
ADEM ALTAN 14:18 19.02.20173

A movie about the life of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is slated to hit theaters on March 3. Already released in Turkey, the film will now be playing across Europe.

According to the Turkish newspaper Star, the movie “Reis” (Leader), directed by Hüdaverdi Yavuz, was filmed in Istanbul and also at various locations in Cyprus.

Erdogan, The Movie! New Biopic to Glorify Early Life of Turkey's President
The biopic opens with the news of former Prime Minister Adnan Menderes' execution and focuses on President Erdogan’s childhood years and his rise in politics.
The film’s makers used fourteen heavy trucks to transport their equipment and props from Istanbul to Cyprus....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:34 am

Did Turkey order spying in German classrooms?
Date 23.02.2017 Author Chase Winter
Turkish consulates in Germany may have urged teachers and parents to inform on instruction critical of the government. The state of NRW is looking into the allegations.

Authorities in North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) have asked prosecutors to assess whether there is enough evidence to open an investigation into allegations Turkish consulates urged parents and teachers to inform on any content in school lessons that is critical of the Turkish government, a spokesperson from the NRW interior minister told DW on Thursday.

The Education and Science Labor Union (GEW), which represents educators, said on Thursday that it had received reports from some members that Turkish consulates in Germany's most populous state instructed Turkish teachers and parents to spy on other teachers and inform on the content of instruction.

GEW said parents, members of teaching associations and imams from mosques affiliated with the Turkish government had been invited by consulates in the state to information sessions, during which they were urged to pass on any lesson content that was critical of the Turkish government and President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Even students may have been urged to spy on teachers....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:46 am

Turkish leaders meet for second time in week with Iraqi Kurdish leader Barzani
Sevil Erkuş - ISTANBUL Sunday,February 26 2017, Your time is 7:43:40 AM

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan met with Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) President Massoud Barzani on Feb. 26 for the second time in a week.

Barzani and Turkish officials’ frequent meetings come amid evolving plans for the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Iraq, and a new deal between Tehran and Baghdad for the transfer of energy resources in Kirkuk to world markets through Iran. Barzani seeks support from the U.S. and some European countries for his resumed plans to set a referendum on the KRG’s independence from Baghdad.

The Iraqi Kurdish leader is also expected to meet Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım in Ankara on Feb. 27.

The two sides are expected to discuss a plan to deploy Syrian Kurdish fighters, dubbed as the Rojava peshmargas, in areas where Kurds are concentrated the most in Syria. With the help of Barzani and Turkey, the Rojava peshmargas were formed by the Syrian Kurdish National Assembly. However, the Syrian Kurdish Democratic Union (PYD) has blocked the 7,000-fighter group from entering lands controlled by them. The U.S. does not yet support the deployment of the Rojava peshmarga fighters in Syria due to concerns of possible clashes with the People’s Protection Units (YPG), the PYD’s military wing....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:41 am

Turkish President Erdogan to visit Pakistan for ECO summit
National2 HOURS AGO BY WEB DESK

ISLAMABAD: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will arrive in Pakistan on Wednesday to attend the 5th International EcoSummit in Islamabad.

According to reports, Erdogan will hold bilateral meetings with leaders of member countries to discuss and exchange ideas on ongoing regional and international developments....

Snip ... ECO was established in 1985 by Pakistan, Iran and Turkey. Later on, Azerbaijan, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazikstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan were also included....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:55 am

Change, not status quo, primary objective of Turkey’s Kurdish voters in referendum
ALI ÜNAL ANKARA Published 7 hours ago

AK Party Deputy Chair Cevdet Yılmaz told Daily Sabah that Kurdish voters will favor the constitutional changes in the referendum against the maintenance of the status quo and the call by terror groups to vote ‘no'

Political parties have launched their campaigns for the constitutional referendum on April 16. The ruling Justice and Development Party's (AK Party) campaign mottos and songs were announced Saturday to the public in a meeting that took place at Ankara Arena. Talking to Daily Sabah about their referendum strategies, AK Party Deputy Chair Cevdet Yılmaz, who is a deputy from predominantly Kurdish province Bingöl, said they will be pursuing a positive campaign strategy, consolidating "yes" votes, while trying to persuade others. Yılmaz stated that Turkey's Kurdish citizens will vote for change in the referendum and not the status quo. He added that they are calling all citizens to vote "yes" for faster development, peace, the eradication of tutelage and the reformation of the bureaucracy.

Change, not status quo, primary objective of Turkey’s Kurdish voters in referendum

DS:Could you inform us about the details of the campaign you launched on Feb. 25?

We officially launched our campaign at the weekend. This is not a parliamentary or mayoral election, but it is much more important than both of those elections. We are at the crossroads of history and on the eve of a vital referendum. As a general strategy, we have explained the benefits of the presidential system to all our provincial and central organizations, we have asked the members of our organization to go out on the streets and talk to the people about the referendum. We have made presentations to 970 provincial chairs in Ankara and answered their questions. Moreover, we came together with all local administrators in our party in Antalya and discussed the issue. For a healthier dissemination of information, we have educated and appointed three orators for each city in Turkey. All of them were instructed by experts, learning what benefits the presidential system entails. These orators will be informing the provincial party organizations and members of the provincial organizations will disseminate this information to the public....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:47 am

President Tayyip Erdogan publicly criticised prominent Turkish newspaper Hurriyet on Tuesday, sending its shares and those of parent company Dogan Holding tumbling.
By Tuvan Gumrukcu and David Dolan | ISTANBUL Tue Feb 28, 2017 | 2:09pm GMT

Hurriyet has come under fire after a Feb. 25 article saying the government had not sought the opinion of the army before lifting a ban on the headscarf in the military, with a headline seen as implying discord between the army and government.

Erdogan, who has spent much of his career battling the military's outsize influence over politics and in July batted back an attempted coup by rogue soldiers, described the headline of the article - "Headquarters are uneasy" - as "very ugly".

"This story seriously bothered the Turkish Armed Forces, just as it has bothered us," Erdogan told reporters at a news conference before departing for an official visit to Pakistan.

"Nobody has the right to pit those in the state against each other, everyone should know their place. You are being disrespectful... Whoever is trying to pit us against each other will pay a heavy price."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:20 am

Erdogan sews up Turkey’s ‘second revolution’
A referendum in April could give the president power beyond the scope of even Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
FEBRUARY 27, 2017 by: Mehul Srivastava

When Turkey’s children returned to school in September, there was something new on the curriculum: a week-by-week syllabus, mandated by the minister of education, celebrating what many call Turkey’s “second revolution”.

Course materials included two slickly produced patriotic videos laced with references to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s success in putting down the attempted coup on July 15. The first opens with an image of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey, superimposed over the nation’s red flag as Mr Erdogan’s sonorous voice recites the national anthem, the “Independence March”.

The second is perhaps more telling. A cinematic recreation of Ataturk’s triumph at Gallipoli in 1915 — a victory that set the stage for the creation of Turkey — segues into images of the violence of last year’s coup and Mr Erdogan’s moves to quash it. The message is clear: Ataturk was the creator, Mr Erdogan the protector....

Snip ... “For all his years in power, [Erdogan] has felt like he had to move the weight of mountains to get even the simplest things done,” says the one-time ally. “Even as president, he feels like he is in opposition, that the system is designed to stop him from achieving anything. All of that changed on July 15 and now he finally feels free to do what his supporters want.”

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:20 am

Angela Merkel faces calls to ban Erdoğan over jailed German journalist
German chancellor is under pressure to stop the Turkish President from entering the country while German-Turkish reporter Deniz Yücel is held in Istanbul prison
2 March 2017, 8:11amPrint Version

German chancellor Angela Merkel is facing calls to ban the Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, from entering Germany while a German journalist continues to be held in an Istanbul prison.

Erdoğan, who campaigned in Germany in 2011 and 2014, was rumoured to be planning a political rally to secure the symbolically important diaspora vote before April’s referendum in Turkey on giving him greater powers.

But Merkel’s government is under increasing pressure from German coalition and opposition parties to stand up to the Turkish President after the Turkey correspondent of Die Welt newspaper, Deniz Yücel, last month became the first German citizen to be arrested as part of Erdogan’s crackdown on the press.

Ralf Jäger, the interior minister of North-Rhine Westphalia and a member of the Social Democratic party that forms a coalition with Merkel’s CDU, called on the government to “ensure that such rallies take place neither in North-Rhine Westphalia or elsewhere in Germany”. Stephan Mayer, of the Bavarian party CSU, said a Turkish president who imprisoned German journalists was “not welcome as a guest in Germany”....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

PreviousNext

Return to Prophecy Debate Area