Turkey : Part Tres :)

(heavily moderated)

Turkey : Part Tres :)

Postby Exit40 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:31 am

**** Long read, but very interesting geopolitical analysis. D. ****

17:56, 24 November 2011 Thursday
Syria-Iran-Turkey: New war scenarios in the Middle East

While there were good connections and relations between Syria and Turkey only a year ago, today we began to talk different scenarios about the NATO intervention led by Turkey against Syria.

Most commentators suggest that Syria came to the end of the road... Interestingly, old-friend Turkey is among the states which raise their loud voices against the Syrian Assad regime. "Our wish is that the Assad regime, which is now on a knife-edge, does not enter this road of no return, which leads to the edge of the abyss," Turkish prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, said. "No regime can survive by killing or jailing. No one can build a future over the blood of the oppressed."

While there were good connections and relations between Syria and Turkey only a year ago, today we began to talk different scenarios about the NATO intervention led by Turkey against Syria.

Although the Turkish position is being portrayed as a defender of oppressed Syrian people in the world media, there are some questions which cannot be answered independently of war scenarios led by the U.S. against Iran.

Today, we will try to look at the roots of Turkey's position on events in Syria and its connection with the plans of global actors on the Middle East and new war scenarios in the region.

Looking at the Syrian Case from Different Viewpoints...

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Re: Turkey : Part Tres :)

Postby Exit40 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:56 am

Iraq, Turkey end bans on flights, open skies to other country's planes
From Mohammed Tawfeeq, CNN
November 25, 2011 -- Updated 1128 GMT (1928 HKT)

Baghdad (CNN) -- Iraq and Turkey have agreed to allow flights between their countries, ending a mutual ban that began with a dispute about how an Iraqi government oil company owed millions of dollars to Turkey, Iraqi officials said Thursday.

Turkish planes resumed flights to Iraq on Thursday and were landing at the Baghdad airport, Iraq's Ministry of Transportation said.

Iraqi airliners will begin landing in Istanbul on Friday, officials said.....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:00 am

Is Turkey Using the Courts to Silence Critics?
By Pelin Turgut / Istanbul Thursday, Nov. 24, 2011

Nine months after they were first detained, two well-known and internationally acclaimed Turkish investigative journalists finally appeared before a judge on Tuesday in a trial that has become a rallying point for critics of Turkey's curbs on freedom of expression. Ahmet Sik and Nedim Sener are among 13 defendants, including editors of a hard-line secularist website, accused of seeking to overthrow Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's Islamic-leaning government — charges that international observers say have little evidence to support them.

"The prosecutors had promised to produce hard evidence to justify [the journalists'] pretrial detention. Where is it?" said Johann Bihr, head of Reporters Without Borders' Europe desk, outside the Istanbul courthouse. "Contrary to what was always claimed, the case against them is based on their work as journalists."

Held up as an example of secular democracy for the Middle East, Erdogan's government is increasingly under fire for its treatment of journalists, pro-Kurdish advocates and opposition activists. There are more than 1,000 cases before the European Court of Human Rights concerning the Turkish government's alleged quashing of freedom of expression, according to officials. "This situation has a chilling effect on journalism and journalists in Turkey," said Thorbjorn Jagland, secretary-general of the Council of Europe.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:43 am

Turkey fears Syria concealing humanitarian crisis

By Safak Timur (AFP) – 1 hour ago

ISTANBUL — Syria's failure to respond to an Arab League ultimatum for an observer mission raises concerns Damascus is trying to conceal a worsening humanitarian situation, Turkey said Friday.

Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu had described the ultimatum to accept a mission of several hundred observers or face sanctions as a last chance for President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

"Syria was expected to yes to the observers... unless there is a reality it hides about the situation in Syrian cities," Davutoglu was quoted as saying by the Anatolia news agency after the deadline's expiry.

"As it said no, it increased... the concerns on the humanitarian situation," he said.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:29 am

Assad: Turkey seeking to recapture imperial days

Syrian president lashes out against Ankara's criticism of his regime, says Turkey 'still clinging to its dream of reinstating Ottoman Empire'

Roee Nahmias
Published: 11.26.11, 14:51 / Israel News

Syrian President Bashar Assad lashed out at his Turkish critics on Saturday, remarking that "some in Turkey are still clinging to the dream of reinstating the Ottoman Empire."

The Turkish leaders, he added, "Know that this dream is impossible, so they are trying to exploit parties with a religious agenda to expand their influence on the Arab world."

Speaking to the Arabic-language website Arab Press, Assad called on his supporters not to vandalize any Turkish symbols: "I ask you – don't burn Turkish flags. The Turkish people are a proud nation." ...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:21 am

Leaders to meet as defiant Syria shuns ultimatum
November 26, 2011 01:52 AM
By Daily Star Staff

ISTANBUL/BEIRUT: Foreign ministers from the Arab League and Turkey will meet in Cairo Sunday to discuss Syria’s failure to respond to an ultimatum to allow an observer mission or face sanctions, Turkey said Friday, as the Syrian military vowed to “cut every evil hand” that targets the country’s security.

Anatolia news agency quoted Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu as saying he would be attending the Cairo meeting, adding that Turkey already had some measures in hand against Damascus.

With the deadline gone, Turkey said Syria’s failure to open its doors to an observer mission heightened concern that Damascus was trying to conceal a worsening humanitarian situation.....

**** Snip ****

The League also for the first time said it wants U.N. help in its showdown with Assad. The United Nations said Friday it is ready to support the proposed Arab League 500-strong peace monitoring mission to Syria, providing human rights staff to assist the mission, if it goes.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:41 am

Turkey signs anti-female violence bill

25/11/11 22:33 CET

In an historic move Turkey has become the first country to ratify a Council of Europe agreement to prevent violence against women.

The convention, the first of its kind in the world, outlaws all forms of violence, and criminalises practices such as forced marriage, female genital mutilation, sexual harassment, forced abortion, sterilisation and stalking.

This is a particularly hot issue in Turkey as this year alone over a hundred women have been killed by family members....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:38 am

Controversy over Dersim killings apology widening

Friday, November 25, 2011
ANKARA

Turkey’s main opposition has challenged the government to open discussion on atrocities committed against the country’s Alevis while the deputy prime minister has claimed that special tribunals were responsible for many massacres in the early republican period.

The comments come amid a stormy debate between the opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) and the government over the military’s operation against Alevis in Dersim in the 1930s. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan apologized for the massacres on Nov. 23, but the act only enflamed the debate....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:32 pm

Turkey’s Syrian Ambit: New War in the Making
By
Media Watch
– November 26, 2011Posted in: Democracy, Diplomacy, Headlines

By Jeremy Salt – Ankara Nov 18/2011

Possibly for the first time in the life of the Turkish republic, a Turkish government has adopted a policy of open, unprovoked confrontation with a neighboring country. The citizens of that country, Syria, are flabbergasted. Turkey spent years repairing relations with neighbors under the banners of soft power, strength in depth and ‘zero problems’. At every level, the outcome was very positive. Some months ago, however, under the impact of the so-called ‘Arab spring’, that policy was abandoned virtually overnight. It has been replaced by threats, belligerence and support for an armed group seeking the overthrow of a government with which Turkey had friendly relations until very recently.

While calling on the Syrian government to ‘end the violence’, the Turkish Prime Minister and his Foreign Minister make no mention of the violence for which the Syrian government is not responsible. Armed gangs – some apparently salafists and some apparently causing chaos for money – have been attacking soldiers, police and civilians virtually since the beginning of the protest movement. The government can pull all its tanks off the streets but that won’t stop the violence of these gangs (and now ‘army defectors’) and may even be seen as a sign of weakness and encourage it. Of the 3500 Syrians said to have been killed in the past seven months, a great many, including many civilians and more than 1100 soldiers, have fallen victims to these gangs. The violence has completely undermined the peaceful movement for reform, and together with the recent attack on Libya has alerted Syrians to what is in store for their country if the US and its allies ever get their foot through the door. Bashar al Assad has an undeniably strong base of personal popularity and if anything, especially after the hostile decisions taken by the Arab League, under the influence of Qatar, the Syrian people are closing ranks behind the government. They are facing the spectre of armed intervention in their country and devastation on a scale that would eclipse what has just been delivered to Libya in the name of a ‘responsibility to protect’.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Douggg on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:05 pm

The purpose of this thread is blurry to me. I want to know what are the purpose of the news clippings? What is trying to be proved. I went back and read NJ's original 2004 posts. 7 years later and Turkey is not a member of the EU.

Do any of you guys actively play the stock market? If so, you would know what is going on in the EU. The EU is in big trouble of falling apart. It is all over the business channels. Do you guys know that? Sovereign debt crisis. Do you know what that means? Sovereign debt is the money the Governments borrow to operate. The borrowing is done in the form of bonds that pay an interest to those who buy them. The risk is so high that the countries can't pay back the debt, which is held by the private banks of the EU mostly, that those countries have to pay exorbitant interest rates - exacerbating the problem. It is like living off your credit card, and paying the penalty rate. It is almost impossible to get out of that hole. And just last Wednesday, Germany, the most financially sound of the EU countries, couldn't find buyers for their bonds - and their banks had to step in and buy their own bonds. That was a disaster. So our stock market dropped 235 points. And our country is heading the direction as the Europeans, as the so called super committee to resolve our debt problems - failed this last week also. So where's the Antichrist man - he's not coming out of Turkey.

The EU countries over there could fall like dominoes, bankrupt. The EU currency could become worthless. How is Turkey fitting into any of that? That's what I want to know. Give me some business channel commentary on Turkey joining the EU right now. I don't see any chance of it happening. The EU is currently formed like the United Nations of Europe, not the United States of Europe. When the ten king alliance forms, which it appears the EU is going to change to, it will be like the United States of Europe, and the Antichrist man is going to have power to directly remove any leader who doesn't play ball.

I firmly believe that Turkey will be a main player as a part of Gog/Magog pretrib war. But Turkey is not the origin of the Antichrist. Nor is there going to be a muslim Antichrist. Could you please in your post regarding Turkey make some tie of the new clippings with bible prophecy. I am trying to figure out what is going on in your mind, because I just don't get it.

Doug
Douggg

Postby Exit40 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:27 am

Hi Doug.

I firmly believe that Turkey will be a main player as a part of Gog/Magog pretrib war. But Turkey is not the origin of the Antichrist. Nor is there going to be a muslim Antichrist. Could you please in your post regarding Turkey make some tie of the new clippings with bible prophecy. I am trying to figure out what is going on in your mind, because I just don't get it.

Doug

Not trying to be short here, but if you believe that you will miss the point of the news articles, which I believe most contain bits and pieces of the ever emerging Turkey rising in power and influence in the ME, and internationally also. We have had many discussions of Scripture regarding Turkey and it's possibilities, most of which you disagree with, including a Turkic central caliphate, extending his power to the East, and the South, and towards the pleasant land as Turkey is doing now, and on and on. Regarding Turkey and the EU, candidacy is more possible now than it ever was. The Question for Turkey is, will the risk of going down with that ship outweigh their presumed ability to straighten them out, Turkish islamic style. And considering Turkey's NATO partnership and their actions within, can you see the beginnings of a beast empire under the auspice of R2P sponsored by the UN ? Example: Libya. Turkey, with the help of GCC nations, especially Qatar and Saudi Arabia, is being asked by the West to try manage the ME for them, eventually including Israel, but for now it is Syria and Iran and proxies. Now, by means of Turkish involvement, the toothless Arab League is joining the fray, hoping to use someone else's muscle. What a story this is turning out to be.

Like I have said, I can go on and on, about what current events seem to be pointing to regarding Prophecy and an islamic paradigm turning into a world beast empire. You may have noticed I do not hold to the standard paradigm. I don't believe we can figure it all out on a precise timeline, step by step, until it has happened or is happening. I will try post Scripture that appears to be relevant to our current situation, but I am afraid we are ahead of the curve, as is every paradigm, so relevancy could be interpreted as just opinion. As for figuring out what is in my mind, good luck there. I am still working on that myself, but 'me' gets in the way of my understanding. The hardest thing for me to do is let go of something I have believed and accept what appears to be something else happening that also appears Prophetic. I don't have all the answers, just trying to be a good watcher on the Eastern wall. If you would like to have a few discussions about the relevancy of Turkey I will be happy to join in.

God Bless You Brother

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:35 am

Iran adopts ‘wait-and-see’ policy, eyes Turkey in Syrian crisis
27 November 2011, Sunday / TODAY’S ZAMAN WITH REUTERS,

Iran has chosen a “wait-and-see” policy in its approach to the Syrian crisis as it eyes Turkey, its competitor for influence in the Middle East, condemn the Syrian government’s violent crackdown on the uprising against its rule.

With its crucial anti-Israel alliance with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in danger, Iran has decided thus far to take a back seat until the crisis has cleared so as to not alienate a possible successor. Iran has criticized Assad for his use of violence and has called for an “understanding,” but it is clear, analysts argue, that Iran is cautiously tip-toeing the line between its ally and a potential new ruler.

Turkey, on the other hand, has condemned outright its former ally Assad over his military crackdown on protesters that has left thousands dead.

As Turkey and Iran compete to be the next hegemon in the new Middle East, each presents a very different model -- one Islamic, the other secular and democratic -- for Arab revolutionaries.....

Continues

**** Doug, would you agree Iran is named as an also ran nation in the gog/magog coalition ? If so, what do you think the outcome of this shia/sunni conflict is going turn out to be regarding Syria, Lebanon, and Iraq, the three most prominent nations in the shia crescent influenced by Iran ? D. ****

Eze 38:5 Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya with them; all of them with shield and helmet:
Eze 38:6 Gomer, and all his bands; the house of Togarmah of the north quarters, and all his bands: [and] many people with thee.

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Douggg on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:23 am

Exit40 wrote:Hi Doug.

Doug

Not trying to be short here, but if you believe that you will miss the point of the news articles, which I believe most contain bits and pieces of the ever emerging Turkey rising in power and influence in the ME, and internationally also. We have had many discussions of Scripture regarding Turkey and it's possibilities, most of which you disagree with, including a Turkic central caliphate, extending his power to the East, and the South, and towards the pleasant land as Turkey is doing now, and on and on. Regarding Turkey and the EU, candidacy is more possible now than it ever was.

What makes you say that Turkey becoming part of the EU is more possible now than it ever was? Why would the Europeans want more muslim takeover of their own countries? The desire is to keep Turkey out, not let Turkey in. Over at Islamicity, the Muslims complain about the anti-muslim sentiment in Europe.

I watch the business channels, Bloomberg TV, and CNBC, 2 to 8 hrs a day... and Turkey is not part of any of the conversation. It is all EU and their debt crisis and contagin. Even the muslims are talking about the EU and their debt crisis. An article linked at Islamicity site...http://www.islamicity.com/m/news_frame. ... ceID=61575

Do you ever go to Islamicity site, btw?
The Question for Turkey is, will the risk of going down with that ship outweigh their presumed ability to straighten them out, Turkish islamic style. And considering Turkey's NATO partnership and their actions within, can you see the beginnings of a beast empire under the auspice of R2P sponsored by the UN ? Example: Libya. Turkey, with the help of GCC nations, especially Qatar and Saudi Arabia, is being asked by the West to try manage the ME for them, eventually including Israel, but for now it is Syria and Iran and proxies. Now, by means of Turkish involvement, the toothless Arab League is joining the fray, hoping to use someone else's muscle. What a story this is turning out to be.

No, I cannot see the beginnings of a 10 nation caliphate beast empire. I don't recall Turkey being a major player in the air support to dethrone Kadafi. I ahven't heard Obama talking about Turkey in any of his speeches. It was the Europeans that enabled the overthrow of Kadafi.

As far as a military force, if Turkey and ten middle east Arab states came up against Europe, they would be smashed. How many nuclear subs and aircraft carriers does the caliphate have?

What I see developing is the Psalms 83 nations undergoing major change... more so than Turkey. The Psalms 83 nations are the muslims nations that have a common border with Israel. Bill Salus is a author on the topic. Out of that war, will come the peace in Israel that is necessary for the Gog/Magog invasion, of which Turkey and Libya will be a part of Gog/Magog. And it is the 7 years following that is the 7 years of the Antichrist. Turkey's armies will be destroyed before the Antichrist confirms the covenant.

The Gog/Magog countries makeup the muslim countries that don't have a common border with Israel.
Like I have said, I can go on and on, about what current events seem to be pointing to regarding Prophecy and an islamic paradigm turning into a world beast empire. You may have noticed I do not hold to the standard paradigm. I don't believe we can figure it all out on a precise timeline, step by step, until it has happened or is happening. I will try post Scripture that appears to be relevant to our current situation, but I am afraid we are ahead of the curve, as is every paradigm, so relevancy could be interpreted as just opinion. As for figuring out what is in my mind, good luck there. I am still working on that myself, but 'me' gets in the way of my understanding. The hardest thing for me to do is let go of something I have believed and accept what appears to be something else happening that also appears Prophetic. I don't have all the answers, just trying to be a good watcher on the Eastern wall. If you would like to have a few discussions about the relevancy of Turkey I will be happy to join in.

David, if I did that, I would have everyone in this thread upset. And I don't wish to ruin someone's else's enjoyment of this site. So I will just start another thread. The irritant to me is that I see a pinned dedicated thread - that is news clippings in the prophecy debate forum - based on a forgone conclusion that the Antichrist will come out of Turkey and that his ten nation alliance will be a renewed Caliphate. That the pinned Turkey news thread(s) are in this forum is not your fault. To me this thread should be moved to... the Prophecy Watch Zone... to a dedicated Turkey forum there, and then post away. What you and the other Turkey news post regulars in this thread are doing is Prophecy Watch. Do you agree or disagree with that?

Doug
Douggg

Postby mrgravyard49 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:28 am

Im I wrong in thinking that God will takeout Turkey as well as the other invading nations with a WORLDWIDE Earthquake at the end of EzK: 38?
mrgravyard49

Postby Exit40 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:13 am

HI Doug.

What makes you say that Turkey becoming part of the EU is more possible now than it ever was? Why would the Europeans want more muslim takeover of their own countries? The desire is to keep Turkey out, not let Turkey in. Over at Islamicity, the Muslims complain about the anti-muslim sentiment in Europe.

I watch the business channels, Bloomberg TV, and CNBC, 2 to 8 hrs a day... and Turkey is not part of any of the conversation. It is all EU and their debt crisis and contagin. Even the muslims are talking about the EU and their debt crisis. An article linked at Islamicity site...http://www.islamicity.com/m/news_frame. ... ceID=61575

Do you ever go to Islamicity site, btw?

NATO. The desire is to stabilize the MENA nations, and let the cheap oil flow, they hope. Turkey, being a NATO member is being given the opportunity to attempt this with NATO, and the rest of the West's blessings, and with the help of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and likely Jordan, including quietly a few othe GCC nations. Turkey's purported moderate islamic democracy still needs some polishing for sure, and quite likely the new constitution there will assuage some fears in the EU. Turkey has the potential, again with the west's backing, to become a major energy transfer corridor, they are well on their way, and nestled safely within the EU would be a good place to have them, all in the name of peace, safety, and prosperity. Will they become a member ? I believe they will, eventually, in time. It seems reasonable the EU would want them in as they would be a friendly bridge nation to the ME energy sources.

I would expect those stations to report on the EU debt situation, that is their purpose, report on this crisis. Maybe if they looked a little further east they would see the islamic nations pouring money into Turkey in the banking sector, the goal being to set up Istanbul as a global financial center. There is apparently so much opportunity there even little Lebanon is investing.

I go to islamicity occasionally, I have many sources. Been to Al Jazeera lately ? If you had you would see the decidedly noticable turn to the west the have been showing, based in Qatar BTW. Some muslims are complaining about it.

No, I cannot see the beginnings of a 10 nation caliphate beast empire. I don't recall Turkey being a major player in the air support to dethrone Kadafi. I ahven't heard Obama talking about Turkey in any of his speeches. It was the Europeans that enabled the overthrow of Kadafi.

As far as a military force, if Turkey and ten middle east Arab states came up against Europe, they would be smashed. How many nuclear subs and aircraft carriers does the caliphate have?

What I see developing is the Psalms 83 nations undergoing major change... more so than Turkey. The Psalms 83 nations are the muslims nations that have a common border with Israel. Bill Salus is a author on the topic. Out of that war, will come the peace in Israel that is necessary for the Gog/Magog invasion, of which Turkey and Libya will be a part of Gog/Magog. And it is the 7 years following that is the 7 years of the Antichrist. Turkey's armies will be destroyed before the Antichrist confirms the covenant.

The Gog/Magog countries makeup the muslim countries that don't have a common border with Israel.

Look further ahead, I believe we have more time than the current world is attempting to give us. Turkey is a NATO member, why would they even want to come up against Europe ? No, their goal is to gain membership and infiltrate the major institutions, interjecting islamic ways as they go. Then who does the aircraft carriers belong to ? The empire, same as now, but with a ME twist. Interestingly, a muslim caliphate of MENA nations joined together with the EU, paints a picture of the old Roman empire.

I'm not sure I agree with Bill Salus, although he presents a possibility of future events. Ps 83 is what everyone wants to avoid, and I think it can be, although it looks a little grim right now. I think the push is for the Arab spring to continue through Syria and into Iran, Iraq will come along too out of necessity. And what of Kurdistan ? Not exactly a wild card, but I believe they will gain complete control of the vast oil and gas riches in their territory as Turkey and the west will be in support. The scramble for this is going on right now, contracts have been signed and exploration is ongoing, even though Iraq does not have a revenue sharing law, nor any apparent control of that situation within their own borders. Back to Ps 83, if that happens the dust will still be in the air when the other muslim nations join in the attack on Israel. They will come in anger, barely contained now, and with intent to wipe out Israel. I can't imagine Israel getting away with an unanswered victory, and there will be peace in the land for any time at all. Although I believe it is a possibility for Israel and Turkey to sit out while the west/NATO accomplishes the destruction. But I think this unlikely, at least on the grand scale of the Scripture.

Without getting into the potential for wars, although we will likely see a few more, Turkey does not want to get muslim
( brotherhood ) blood on their hands. They want to be the humanitarian modern moderate muslim role model for the next century, and killing their muslim brothers is contradictory to that. This is getting lengthy, sorry.

David, if I did that, I would have everyone in this thread upset. And I don't wish to ruin someone's else's enjoyment of this site. So I will just start another thread. The irritant to me is that I see a pinned dedicated thread - that is news clippings in the prophecy debate forum - based on a forgone conclusion that the Antichrist will come out of Turkey and that his ten nation alliance will be a renewed Caliphate. That the pinned Turkey news thread(s) are in this forum is not your fault. To me this thread should be moved to... the Prophecy Watch Zone... to a dedicated Turkey forum there, and then post away. What you and the other Turkey news post regulars in this thread are doing is Prophecy Watch. Do you agree or disagree with that?

Doug

I have talked with mods about this situation, trying not to get a special status for Turkey threads, yet they seem to have that on their own. There is much information contained for researchers in this area, original Turkey thread still gets many hits, and it will likely be the same for closed Part Deaux. I understand your sentiment about this. My stand is with the mods, wherever they want the Turkey threads is alright with me. But you are correct, there is more watching going on here than debate. Turkey in Prophecy tends to show up in other threads. Perhaps if the Turkey readers posted debate topics in this thread it would alleviate some concerns. By the same token, debate topics might have a tendency to get lost in this thread. I'm not sure of the answer to the issue, or even if it is a problem that needs to be addressed. But like I said, I'll go along with whatever the mods decide.

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:21 am

mrgravyard49 wrote:Im I wrong in thinking that God will takeout Turkey as well as the other invading nations with a WORLDWIDE Earthquake at the end of EzK: 38?

Nope. Along with some other devastating effects such as giant hail, fire, brimstone, the sword, trampling of the winepress, and the Brightness of His coming.

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:41 am

First Published: 2011-11-28
Turkey and Iraqi Kurdistan: Time to Buttress Relations

The considerable Iranian leverage in Iraq is already a headache for Turkey whose relations with Iran remain uneven despite improving under Erdogan’s governments, writes Idrees Mohammed.

On the verge of the US troop withdrawal from Iraq, Turkey and the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) need to strengthen their relations. President Obama’s determination to withdraw the army is not much different from his predecessor’s decision to send troops into Iraq in 2003, in that both failed to meet US expectations. This resolve, by increasing Kurdish unease and causing Turkish concern about its stake in Iraq, should serve to bring the KRG and Turkey closer.

For the KRG, Turkey is extremely important. The Kurds cannot forget the US negative attitude towards them in the mid-1970s when Henry Kissinger voiced America’s anti-Kurdish stance. Then, in the early 1990s the United States again showed its animosity towards the Kurds when, the Kurds and Shiites, heeding a call by Bush senior, staged an uprising against Baghdad’s Ba’ath regime, only to have it cruelly put down following an implicitly expressed preference by the US to retain the Saddam regime in power.

The current US President has now become a cause of frustration for the Kurds as his administration recalls all US troops from Iraq by the end of the year, thus implying that the US has rejected the possibility of keeping a military presence inside the KRG zone. While the Kurds willingly supported the 2003 US invasion of Iraq and continue to make a contribution towards the protection of American stake in the country, the US is now demonstrating an underlying Machiavellian attitude towards the Kurds. Its failure to meet Kurdish willingness to have US troops in the Kurdistan region causes one to question US intentions towards the KRG: Is the United States cheating the Kurds again?....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:56 am

RPT-Turkey would open ports to Cyprus, no diplomatic strings

Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:27am EST By Ralph Boulton and Asli Kandemir

Nov 28 (Reuters) - Turkey offered to bow to EU demands and open its ports, airports and airspace to Cyprus under what it called a "Taiwanese-style" diplomatic arrangement to help drive Cypriot reunification talks resuming on Monday under U.N. pressure for a breakthrough.

The European Union Ankara seeks to join demands Turkey end an embargo on Greek Cypriot traffic that damages Nicosia's economy. Turkey for its part says the EU should ease isolation of breakaway Turkish northern Cyprus, something Greek Cypriots reject as implicit recognition of a renegade state.

Turkish EU minister Egemen Bagis told Reuters he believed a simple arrangement could help free up talks over the east Mediterranean island that has brought NATO partners Greece and Turkey to the brink of war on several occasions.

Exploration for natural gas around the island, and disputes over sovereign rights, has again raised international concerns.....

**** Snip ****

Asked if Turkey had a 'plan B' if talks to reunite the island failed, Bagis replied: "Turkey has a 'plan B', Turkey has a 'plan C' a 'plan D' and even a 'plan F'. But let's keep it to ourselves for now."

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:08 am

Turkey Supports Decisions of Arab League Regarding Syria: FM
2011-11-28 05:36:32 Xinhua Web Editor: Zhangxu

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said on Sunday that Turkey and Arab League could not remain silent regarding developments in Syria where civilians were killed, Turkey's Anatolia news agency reported.

Turkey supported decisions and measures taken by the Arab League regarding Syria, Davutoglu was quoted as saying after the meeting foreign ministers of Arab League in the Egyptian capital of Cairo.

There was a full consensus between the Arab League and Turkey, he said.

As to what attitude Turkey would assume, if the league takes the matter to the UN, Davutoglu said Turkey would back decisions of the Arab League...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:35 am

Iran, Turkey to expand consular ties
English.news.cn 2011-11-29 16:45:48

TEHRAN, Nov. 29 (Xinhua) -- Iran and Turkey signed a cooperation agreement to increase the level of consular interactions, the English language satellite Press TV reported on Tuesday.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Consular, Parliamentary, and Iranian Expatriates' Affairs, Hassan Qashqavi, and the visiting Turkish deputy foreign minister for consular affairs, Naji Koru, inked the accord in Tehran on Monday, said the report.

The agreement is comprised of 16 articles, each stipulating an element of cooperation in different consular matters and related affairs.....

Continues

**** This article is a bit suspicious. First, it is from PressTV, an Iranian outlet. Then , the Turkish signatory is a lower level deputy foreign minister who afterwards gets to meet Iranian FM Salehi. While this is a possible good example of Turkish soft power, it seems like it is being slipped under the radar, or PressTV, famous for making biased statements, is printing another fairy tale. I'll keep looking for updates or confirmations from reliable sources. D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:09 am

Turkey considers Iraq as alternative trade route

By ELIZABETH A. KENNEDY, Associated Press
Tuesday, November 29, 2011

(11-29) 01:58 PST BEIRUT, Lebanon (AP) --

Turkey said Tuesday it will consider using Iraq as an alternative transit route for trade with the Middle East, cutting out Syria entirely as Damascus faces broad economic sanctions over its deadly crackdown on an 8-month-old uprising.

Syria has been a main transit route for Middle East trade, which Damascus hopes will help cushion the effects of tough new sanctions from the Arab League and Turkey. On Monday, Syria warned that Damascus could use its strategic location to inflict economic damage of its own.

But Turkey's transport minister said there are alternatives to Syria....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:18 am

Are there ‘zero problems’ for Turkey?
November 29, 2011 01:46 AM
By Peter Harling, Hugh Pope
The Daily Star

Turkey arguably ranks highest on the outside players’ score sheet after a year of Arab revolts. Ankara responded fastest to the region’s paradigm shift, taking the lead in calling Egypt’s Hosni Mubarak to step down; defined clear principles, pushed for sweeping reforms and denounced repression; avoided rushing into a questionable war to oust Libya’s Moammar Gadhafi but emerged on the winning side; satisfied the Arab public’s mood by challenging Israel and downgrading relations with the Jewish state, even though this occurred for mostly unrelated reasons; and could flaunt the “Turkish model” as a conveniently ill-defined way forward. The prize: Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan could tour the Arab world to a hero’s welcome.

Erdogan’s soaring personal popularity has however eclipsed the fact that Turkey’s foreign policy has been turned on its head, and that Turkish and Western commentaries about the triumphant progress of this “model” remain premature. Turkey’s valuable if misleadingly named doctrine of “zero problems” with its neighbors, which rested on a slow buildup of pragmatic diplomatic engagement with all parties, economic integration, and people-to-people outreach, laid the groundwork for its current appeal in the region.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:39 am

Turkey ready for "any scenario" in Syria - minister

By Ece Toksabay

ISTANBUL | Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:42pm IST

(Reuters) - Turkey said on Tuesday it did not want military intervention in Syria but was ready for any scenario while Damascus cracks down on protests against President Bashar al-Assad, including setting up a buffer zone to contain any mass influx of refugees.

A former friend of Syria, Turkey is now a vocal critic of Assad and his military action against protesters calling for his overthrow. Turkey has said it will follow the Arab League in imposing sanctions on Damascus.

"If the oppression continues, Turkey is ready for any scenario. We hope that a military intervention will never be necessary. The Syrian regime has to find a way of making peace with its own people," Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said in an interview with television broadcaster Kanal 24.

"If tens, hundreds of thousands of people start advancing towards the Iraq, Lebanon, Turkey borders, not only Turkey but the international community may be required to take some steps such as a buffer zone. We don't want that to happen but we must consider and work on that scenario."....

Continues

**** This is what Turkey is hoping for, a crisis where they can respond as humanitarians, in true muslim fashion, and still achieve their goals of regime change in Syria, all with international backing. Even Russia and China will have to go along with this. D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:59 am

US official cautions Iran against issuing threats over NATO’s missile installation in Turkey

By Associated Press, Updated: Tuesday, November 29, 6:49 AM

ANKARA, Turkey — A senior U.S. official has dismissed Iran’s threats against NATO missile defense installations in Turkey ahead of a visit by U.S. Vice President Joe Biden to the key U.S. ally and linchpin of NATO’s southern flank.

An Iranian general said Saturday that Tehran would target NATO’s early warning radar in Turkey if the U.S. or Israel attacks the Islamic Republic after an International Atomic Energy Agency report said for the first time that Tehran was suspected of conducting secret experiments whose sole purpose was the development of nuclear arms.

Antony Blinken, national security adviser to Biden, told a teleconference briefing from Washington on Monday that “making threatening statements doesn’t serve anyone’s purpose, least of all the Iranians.”

“Turkey shares our goal of preventing a nuclear-armed Iran,” Blinken added, according to a transcript posted on the U.S. embassy website.....

Contiues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 am

Turkey slaps economic sanctions on Syria
By Elizabeth A. Kennedy and Suzan Fraser
Associated Press / November 30, 2011

BEIRUT—Turkey slapped tough economic sanctions on Syria on Wednesday, freezing assets of officials involved in the government's crackdown on an 8-month-old uprising, suspending ties with the nation's central bank and banning all military sales.

The move comes on top of sanctions already imposed by the Arab League, the United States and the European Union. Turkey is Syria's neighbor and largest trading partner, but its leaders have turned on Damascus because of its violent campaign to crush the revolt.

"Every bullet fired, every bombed mosque has eliminated the legitimacy of the Syrian leadership and has widened the gap between us," Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told a news conference in Ankara, Turkey. "Syria has squandered the last chance that it was given."....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:49 am

Luxembourg FM says EU needs Turkey to become global actor
29 November 2011, Tuesday / TODAYSZAMAN.COM ,

Luxembourg's foreign minister voiced support on Tuesday for Turkey’s European Union membership bid, saying the 27-member bloc needs Ankara’s membership in the union if it wants to become a global player.

“Europe is now a regional player, but we need Turkey if we want a global role. Europe could become a global player together with Turkey,” Jean Asselborn, who is also Luxembourg’s deputy prime minister, told a joint news conference with his Turkish counterpart, Ahmet Davutoğlu, following their bilateral talks in Ankara on Tuesday.

Asselborn said most EU member states favor the continuation of Turkey's accession negotiations, adding that Europe needs Turkey's membership not only for political reasons but also for economic concerns....

Continues

God bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:20 am

Love him or hate him, Turkish PM ranked among 100 global thinkers
29 November 2011, Tuesday / TODAY'S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyıp Erdoğan
Turkey's prime minister and foreign minister have been included among a US magazine's 2011 list of top 100 global thinkers, a nod to the pair's success in “imagining a new role for Turkey in the world -- and making it happen.”

The Foreign Policy ranking underscores the growing international profile -- and increasingly polarizing image -- of Prime Minister Recep Tayyıp Erdoğan, who was featured on the cover of TIME magazine earlier this month. Erdoğan, who the TIME article said has been greeted “like a rock star” by democracy-hungry protesters on his tours of the Middle East this year, is presently the leading candidate in TIME's person of the year poll. The poll shows Erdoğan as both revered and hated by respondents, who have made him by far the leading recipient of both “yes” and “no” votes for the award.

In Foreign Policy magazine's announcement of its top 100 global thinkers on Monday, Erdoğan and Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu were jointly ranked as the 16th most influential thinkers of the year. The rank was especially notable given that only one other statesman, US President Barack Obama, was listed ahead of the pair at number 11.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:40 am

Turkey-Egypt partnership?
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has listed nine points as part of sanctions targeting Syria until the Bashar al-Assad regime is gone. While the world increasingly monitors what is going on in Syria, and for that matter what Iran would do, Turkey has taken a critical step toward establishing a strategic alliance with one of the Middle East's most important players, Egypt.

A month ago, Davutoğlu gave an interview to The New York Times and predicted a partnership between Turkey and Egypt, two of the region's militarily strongest, most populous and influential countries, which he said could create a new axis of power at a time when American influence in the Middle East seems to be diminishing. “This is what we want,” Davutoğlu told The New York Times.

“This will not be an axis against any other country -- not Israel, not Iran, not any other country, but this will be an axis of democracy, real democracy,” he said, adding, “This will be an axis of democracy of the two biggest nations in our region, from the north to the south, from the Black Sea down to the Nile Valley in Sudan.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:40 am

Syria's opposition, rebels hold talks in Turkey

By Safak Timur (AFP) – 3 hours ago

ISTANBUL — Syria's civilian opposition and army rebels have agreed to coordinate their struggle against President Bashar al-Assad's regime, an official said Thursday.

The first meeting between the Syrian National Council and the Free Syrian Army earlier this week in Turkey appeared to mark a change of tack from the SNC's previous reluctance to back the armed struggle.

"It is agreed that it would be a coordinated movement, there would be coordination," the SNC's Khaled Khoja told AFP.

He said the meeting in the southern Turkish province of Hatay on November 28 was attended by SNC head Burhan Ghaliun and FSA chief Riyadh al-Asaad, whose forces comprise deserters from the Syrian military.

"The council recognised the Free Syrian Army as a reality, while the army recognised the council as the political representative" of the opposition, Khoja said.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:16 am

Will The New Turkey Become The Model For A New Europe?

What a difference an economy makes.

Visiting Istanbul last week, I could feel the toss of a new wind approaching. Suddenly, it seems, many Turkish politicians – and much of the Turkish public – are starting to look away from the long-cultivated association with the EU and hopes to join the community of European states.

With Europe’s continuing financial woes, along with the increasing conservatism of Turkish culture, the EU no longer holds the allure it once did, particularly in view of Turkey’s own vibrant economy. Rather, in fact, some wonder whether they shouldn’t turn away from Europe entirely – or do what they can to make Europe come, instead, to Turkey.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:57 am

Turkey: Turks Discover They Are a (Sort of) Nuclear Power
December 1, 2011 - 4:08pm, by Yigal Schleifer

The homepage of the (newly, and poorly, redesigned) Hurriyet Daily News features a fairly provocative headline today: "Turkey given possession of nuclear warheads, report says." So has Turkey just become the Middle East's newest nuclear power? The real story is a lot less sensational, yet also much more interesting, than that.

Turkey, as a member of NATO, has in fact hosted tactical nuclear weapons since the 1950's. Today, NATO keeps an estimated stockpile of 60-70 nuclear bombs at the Incirlik air base in southern Turkey, down from 90 in 2001. Most of these (some 50) are designed to be delivered by United States aircraft (which are not housed at Incirlik and would have to be flown in and armed for any mission). The rest are earmarked for Turkish fighter jets, although it appears that Turkish pilots are currently not being trained for nuclear missions. (Hurriyet's sloppy story follows up on a more carefully written one that appeared the day before in the Vatan newspaper, written by Washington correspondent Ilhan Tanir.)

From an interesting report published at the end of last year by the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, which looked at the status of the the US's tactical nuclear weapons in Europe, especially in light of NATO's newly-developed "Strategic Concept," which places less importance on these weapons:....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:56 am

The EU and Turkey: steering a safer path through the storms
By Eleven EU foreign ministers Published on December 3, 2011

THE EU is currently focused on the turmoil in the eurozone. That poses severe risks to economic growth across our countries. But these tumultuous economic and political times should not lead to the EU turning its back on its neighbourhood.

In particular, Turkey is an important partner as a new economic powerhouse for the single market and a growing regional power that could contribute to our shared foreign policy effort. We believe strongly in the benefits the Turkish accession process has brought both to the EU and Turkey and in its continued importance for driving progress towards shared goals such as economic competitiveness, energy security and regional stability.

Since the start of the new millennium, Turkey has grown in influence and authority as a regional power in the Western Balkans, Central and South Asia and the Horn of Africa. Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davuto?lu has been a key interlocutor, not least on Afghanistan where he made a huge personal contribution to last month’s conference in Istanbul. With Turkey as host, for the first time, Afghanistan’s neighbours have agreed to implement political and security measures to underpin the cause of reconciliation. The ‘Arab Spring’ underlines the strong interests the EU and Turkey have in working together to ensure the region changes for the better. We welcome Turkey’s increasing participation in EU foreign policy discussions, where Turkey’s insight and influence have shown how the EU’s global reach can be strengthened by Turkey at a time of global uncertainty.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:03 am

Turkey's Changing Regional Role
Posted: 12/ 3/11 10:23 AM ET

In just one year, relations between the United States and Turkey have moved from tension to cooperation. This was the focus of remarks by a Turkish journalist speaking at the opening session at the second convention of the Turkic American Alliance. After reviewing the differences in the bilateral relationship, then and now, he asked rather pointedly, "What happened to account for this change and where will it lead us?"

The journalist recalled that when he had appeared at the group's founding conference, in 2010, relations were at an all-time low. Turkey had broken with Israel over its blockade of Gaza and its deadly assault on the Gaza-bound flotilla. And the U.S. was none too happy with Turkey's efforts to negotiate a compromise that might ease international concerns with Iran's nuclear program. In reaction, Congress and the Administration had been harshly critical of Turkish "meddling" and Turkey's new "anti-Israel" bent.

Today, in contrast, relations seem warmer than ever. President Obama and Prime Minister Erdogan speak often, as do their respective staffs, and there appears to be some degree of cooperation in dealing with critical regional issues from the continuing conflict roiling Syria to the imminent departure of U.S. forces from Iraq....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:13 am

Turkey turns on Syria
(DP-News - bostonherald )

Turkey’s economic sanctions against Syria will greatly increase the pressure on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to quit and could be followed by a new tactic in a one-two punch.

Turkey’s sanctions, about which the Obama administration was consulted, were co-ordinate with those of the Arab League announced two days earlier. There are similar travel bans for Syrian leaders, a prohibition on dealings with the Syrian central bank, an embargo on arms shipments, an end to credits for the Damascus government and a diversion of trade flows away from crossing Syrian territory. (European Union and U.S. sanctions already have crippled Syria’s oil exports.)

If the killing of Syrian anti-government demonstrators does not stop, Turkey might send its army, not to attack President al-Assad’s forces but to establish “safety zones” in Syria on its borders with Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon and Jordan, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said last week.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:30 am

A New Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Morocco Axis ?
12/03/11

Washington / Morocco Board News-- The GCC announcement about talks for accession of Morocco and Jordan to the Gulf Cooperation Council has developed a hitch. The United Arab Emirates is apparently apprehensive about the adhesion of both countries, a project that is being pushed through by both Qatar and Saudi Arabia. The UAE position that has taken the Moroccan Government by surprise.

Morocco Based news site " Maghreb intilegence (MI)" is reporting that Saudi sources are talking about an upcoming Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Morocco political and economic "axis" and that the recent victory of the moderate Islamist party PJD in the November 25th elections in Morocco is an additional argument for this axis.....

Continues

**** The Eastern alliance continues to grow. D..****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 am

Turkey: Arabs, Turks attempt to redefine Arab uprisings, political trajectories

05-12-2011

(Today's Zaman)

A large gathering of Turkish and Arab intellectuals discussing the uncertain political trajectories of post-revolution Arab states has kicked into gear in a southeastern Turkish city on the border with Syria -- a country that has put Turkey's assertive foreign policy to a difficult test in the face of unrest that has been rocking the Middle East for nearly a year.

It was the 25th in a series of gatherings organized by Zirve University and the Abant Platform, yet this time participants found a rare opportunity to discuss political developments elsewhere and the possible role Turkey might have in this political turmoil.

Comprising largely Turkish intellectuals both from Turkey and from around the world, Arab and Western commentators, activists and professors also joined in during the three-day event. Discussions primarily centered on redefining the Arab Spring, ways to cushion the pain of the transition period in post-revolution Arab nations and Turkey's contribution to political developments participants hoped signaled the birth pangs of consolidated democracies. ....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:04 am

Turkey acts as mentor for emerging Islamists in Middle Eastern region
Dec 8, 2011 11:12 EST

As Islamist groups emerge triumphant in Tunisia, Egypt and Morocco, Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party under Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan seems decided to act as their mentor — and to throw its weight behind the Syrian opposition seeking to oust President Bashar al-Assad, a former ally.

Ankara’s evolving response to the upheavals of the Arab Spring is broadly in harmony with its NATO and European Union allies, who had balked at the AKP’s previous “zero problems with the neighbors” policy, that indulged Syria and its ally Iran, and which some derided as a neo-Ottoman turn away from Turkey’s long-standing Western ties.

Both Turkey and its Western allies now hope the success of the AKP in transiting from Islamist roots to a sort of Muslim version of Christian Democracy, and in running a dynamic economy that has doubled the income of its people, will be an attractive model to Arab Islamist parties now coming to the fore....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:12 am

Turkey's bid to restore balance

Despite the historic animosity between the two neighbours, the recent shift in Ankara's Syria policy is due to geo-political factors

By Marwan Kabalan, Special to Gulf News
Published: 00:00 December 9, 2011
Gulf News

Since they emerged as new states after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire following the First World War, relations between Syria and Turkey were marked by animosity. The history of Syria and Turkey would reveal that most of these relations have contributed to their physical insecurity with regard to each other, and their persistent endeavours to achieve their security requirements.

Border dispute was perhaps the thorniest issue. Both Syria and Turkey claim unquestionable sovereignty over Uskandaron province (Turkey calls it Hatay) which came under Turkish control in 1938. Dispute over water distribution — the problem of the Euphrates, Orontes and Tigris rivers — had also hindered the establishment of good relations between the two countries. This is especially an important issue wherein both sides try to meet their developmental requirements....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 am

CIVETS Watch: Global Crisis Spurs US, Eurozone to See Turkey in New Light
By Carol Kopp Dec 08, 2011 10:10 am
Fast emerging as an economic and political powerhouse, Turkey is drawing closer to the US.

Turkey is one of the world’s fastest-growing nations, still steaming ahead economically despite the troubles spreading around the world. Literally straddling West and East, it has deep ties with both. Since 1987, it has been eager to cement its links with Europe by joining the European Union. Suddenly, that doesn’t look like such a good idea.

The door to Europe has not closed for good, by any means, but for the first time the negotiating strength is on the Turkish side. While the eurozone is in crisis, the Turkish economy is expected to grow by 7.5% this year. If the Turks are snickering, though, they’re doing it in private. Europe remains its largest single trading partner, meaning that economic stagnation could easily seep across its borders. Economist Daron Acemoglu is quoted by NPR as saying that the eurozone debt crisis is a “ticking time bomb” for Turkey.

Although popular support is waning, the Turkish government remains committed to joining the EU. “Hold on Europe,” its minister for European Union affairs told The New York Times. “Turkey is coming to the rescue.”....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:48 am

Turkey to EU: say goodbye to democracy and start printing money

By Andrew Rettman

BRUSSELS - Eurozone countries will have to give up on normal democracy and the European Central Bank (ECB) will have to print money if the euro is to survive, Turkey's ambassador to the EU has said on the eve of the EU summit. Noting that EU leaders are going in "the right direction" by proposing central control over national budgets in return for help from the ECB, Selim Kuneralp told EUobserver in an interview on Wednesday (7 December) that traditional democratic structures have no future in post-crisis Europe.

"In an election campaign, you have one party that says 'I'm going to reduce taxes and invest in this or that, to build nuclear power plants or spend money on renewable energy, build more schools and better hospitals.' And the other party says 'I'm going to do everything this guy is promising, but more.' So you have a race on who is going to spend more. But if you have this kind of mechanism [of central control] they won't be able to do it."

"That means you would have such a loss of sovereignty as to make election campaigns meaningless," he added. "I don't see any other option - either you have a single currency with fiscal union or you don't have a single currency at all."....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:48 am

Fri Dec 9, 2011 10:42am EST
By Douglas Hamilton

BEIRUT, Dec 9 (Reuters) - Turkey warned Syria on Friday it would act to protect itself if a Syrian government crackdown on protesters threatened regional security and unleashed a tide of refugees on its borders.

At least 14 Syrians were shot dead as protesters took the streets following Friday prayers and ahead of a general strike called for Sunday, according to a network of anti-government activists reporting events to a website based in Britain. Other activist sources put the toll as high as 30 dead. Nine were killed in Homs, the hub of the nine-month-old revolt, where demonstrators against President Bashar al-Assad chanted "Syria wants freedom" and "Bashar is an enemy of humanity", Qatar based Al-Jazeera television said.

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu did not say what action Ankara might take, but he made clear Turkey would not hesitate to insulate the region's security from tumult in Syria. Turkey shares a 900 km (560 mile) border with Syria....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:40 am

Turkish president criticizes EU ‘negligence,’ contrasts with his country’s economic dynamism

By Associated Press, Updated: Friday, December 9, 9:27 AM

VIENNA — European Union “negligence” is to blame for the financial crisis roiling the continent, Turkey’s president said Friday, contrasting the EU’s malaise with his country’s economic and political dynamism.

Abdullah Gul also called for revamping the U.N. Security Council, suggesting its permanent members no longer reflected the shift in influence from the postwar equation when the five nuclear powers effectively steered world policy. His comments, to the World Policy Conference’s three-day session, were a restatement of Turkey’s claim to prominence — in the Middle East, the Mediterranean, and beyond.

His blunt criticism of the EU — a group Turkey has been prevented from joining mainly due to years of German and French opposition — also suggested that the Turkish government was increasingly disenchanted with the failure of its efforts....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:29 am

Turkey Uneasy Over Rising Tension in Gaza Strip

Saturday, 10 December 2011

ANKARA (A.A) - Turkish Foreign Ministry expressed uneasiness over the rising tension in Gaza Strip.

Releasing a statement on Saturday, the ministry recalled that Israel launched an air strike on a vehicle in Gaza Strip two days ago, and expressed deep concern over the re-escalation of the tension in Gaza Strip as well as breaking the cease fire which had been settled last month thanks to contribution of Egyptian officials....

Conrtinues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:40 am

Armenian supporters skeptical of ties between Turkey, Indian tribes

By Michael Doyle
McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — The perennial political fighting between Armenian-Americans and Turkey has migrated to Indian country.

In a diplomatically creative but controversial move, Turkey wants preferential access to start commercial ventures on selected U.S. tribal lands. In theory, tribes would get business and Turkey would gain friends. "We're trying to build bridges with other communities," G. Lincoln McCurdy, the president of the Turkish Coalition of America, said in an interview. "If this works, it would be good for everybody."

But not everybody thinks so. Lawmakers in states with large Armenian-American populations, such as California and New Jersey, think a legislative proposal that's now before the House of Representatives extends an undeserved favor to a country still associated with a long-ago slaughter. "We could not let that pass ... without some acknowledgment of the Armenian genocide," Rep. Jim Costa, D-Calif., said Friday.

The bill in question would allow six Indian tribes to lease land to Turkish companies without securing the usual, often time-consuming Bureau of Indian Affairs approvals. The tribes would be selected competitively by the Interior Department, and would develop their own guidelines for leasing land him.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:58 am

Turkey Gets EU Advice as Croatia Gets Assent
Saturday, 10 December 2011

Two countries intent on entering the European Union, Croatia and Turkey received contrasting news Dec. 9 from the 27-nation organization. As Zagreb signed its accession treaty with the bloc, Turkey received only mild criticism and advice from the EU despite its half-century wait at the union’s door.

The EU council’s draft conclusion circulated Dec. 9 is likely to disappoint the Turkish government as it includes criticisms on issues including Cyprus and press freedom. Turkey’s accession process is at a standstill despite a robust economic performance that shines compared to many EU countries that have been struggling with a crippling debt crisis. Croatia is set to join the bloc July 1, 2013.

Croatia will be an “active observer” in all EU forums until it becomes a full member 18 months from now, according to EU president Herman Van Rompuy.

Having applied for EU membership in 2003, Croatia became a candidate in early 2004 whereas Turkey first applied to the union back in 1959 when it was called The European Economic Community (EEC).....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:14 am

Turkey: Materials likely destined for Iran nuclear program seized (video)

Turkey is determined to prevent Iran from possessing a nuclear weapon, Namik Tan, Turkey's ambassador to the US, said Thursday. It intercepted materials Iran might have used to advance its nuclear program, he says.

By Howard LaFranchi, Staff writer / December 8, 2011

Turkey has intercepted materials destined for Iran that could have been used to advance Tehran’s nuclear program, Turkey’s ambassador to Washington said Thursday.

The Turkish official, Namik Tan, said Turkey, as Iran’s neighbor, is perhaps more determined than other more distant countries to keep Iran from possessing a nuclear weapon, and he suggested that Turkish-Iranian relations are deteriorating over the nuclear issue.

“Some other countries have tried to transfer certain goods which would help Iran’s nuclear program, and we have stopped them,” Ambassador Tan said at a Monitor breakfast gathering of reporters.

Tan refused to divulge any other information about the interception, including what the materials were, when it happened, and the country of origin, but he insisted that Turkey would never accept the existence of a nuclear bomb next door in Iran.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:25 am

Turkey: Dissecting Ankara's Nuclear Program and Plans
December 9, 2011 - 4:18pm, by Yigal Schleifer

In a recent post, I took a look at the interesting story behind the presence of NATO nuclear bombs at Turkey's Incirlik airbase and how they fit into Ankara's strategic and security calculations. Those interested in diving deeper into the question of Turkey's nuclear policy might want to take a look at a new report released today by the Centre for Economics and Foreign Policy Studies (EDAM), an Istanbul-based think tank. The takes a comprehensive look at Turkey's nuclear policy, from its current plans to start producing nuclear energy to its position on regional non-proliferation.

From the paper's executive summary of Turkey's non proliferation and nuclear diplomacy policies:....

Continues

**** Contains link to Edam report, 236 page pdf... D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:15 am

December 11, 2011, 2:35 PM CET
Turkey Waltzes With Itself in Vienna
By Goran Mijuk

Vienna–It takes two to tango. But Turkey choose to waltz with itself at the World Policy Conference in Vienna, where political and industrial leaders stressed the need for increased partnerships around the globe. Emboldened by the country’s growing global economic importance and political levy in the fast-changing Arab world, Turkish President Abdullah Gül this weekend called for the European Union and United Nations to adapt to new realities.

Embittered that talks to join the E.U. are being blocked by a number of countries, including France and Germany, Gül blamed the eurozone for having failed to play up to its own rules and called on the United Nations to reform its structure to reflect the growing importance of emerging economies.

All but pointing to Turkey as a potential new member of a revamped U.N. Security Council, Mr. Gül also offered the country as a role model and “inspiriation” for the Arab world, touting Turkey’s tradition of religious freedom, secularism and openness, much in line with the high-flung visions traded at the Vienna meeting....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:01 am

Erdoğan says no peace, stability in Mideast with dictators

11 December 2011, Sunday / SERVET YANATMA, DOHA
The Turkish prime minister has strongly criticized authoritarian rulers in the Middle East, claiming that they are the chief obstacle to achieving peace and stability in the region, in a message he released for a UN conference in Doha.

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, in his recorded video messages for the UN's Alliance of Civilizations meeting in Doha on Sunday, said that so long as there are dictators in the Middle East who shower their people with gunfire, kill their own people en masse, and tolerate no opposing views or actions, peace and stability will not be restored.

Erdoğan, whose government was relatively silent in the face of unrest sweeping across the Middle East, has sharpened his tone against authoritarian rulers, including Syria's embattled President Bashar al-Assad, whom he called “a good friend” earlier this year.

He urged finding the solution to what he termed the “chronic problems” of the Middle East in order to not only restore peace in the region but also around the world. “Bloodshed and tears must end in the Middle East,” Erdoğan told participants from more than 130 countries, including UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:12 am

DECEMBER 12, 2011, 5:18 A.M. ET
UPDATE: Turkey Growth Surges Again, Doubts On Current Account Linger
By Joe Parkinson

ISTANBUL (Dow Jones)--Turkey's economy expanded 8.2% in the third quarter, again smashing economists' expectations and underscoring its reputation as Eurasia's rising tiger at a time when many of Ankara's neighbors in the Middle East and Europe struggle with political turmoil and bailouts.

Monday's official growth figure, compared with the year-earlier period, easily beat market expectations of a 6.6% rise in output and followed an unrevised 8.8% expansion in the second quarter.

According to data from Turkey's statistics agency, output also expanded 1.7% on the quarter, its tenth successive quarterly expansion. Following an upward revision to the first-quarter output data, the fast-growing economy has now expanded 9.6% in the first nine months of 2011, the statistics agency data showed.

Separate data released Monday showed that the deterioration of Turkey's current account eased in October, with figures from the central bank confirming a $4.2 billion annual expansion, down from a $6.8 billion rise in the previous month.
That figure also bettered market expectations of a $5 billion expansion.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Next

Return to Prophecy Debate Area