Turkey part deaux :)

(heavily moderated)

Re: Turkey part deaux :)

Postby Seeker on Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:16 am

Hey David,

Sorry they have kept me busy over in the pre-wrath thread for a bit. Then when I decide to get over here yesterday no internet...lol. Someone it seems decided to dig through a major fiber optics line a few miles from here and knocked out the internet all day. All is well now it seems though. I had kind of followed it when they were getting the temporary status but they were sort of minding their manners back then and weren't quite so bold in their criticisms. I think it reflects the personality change you mentioned with Mr. Erdogan. Even the press photos of him seemed to have changed and mostly depict angry looking speech podiums. Before he always had an ear to ear smile it seemed like in photo opps now even his appearance seems to be changing. He has to begin courting Israel again as we know there is a covenant so this may indeed be the beginning of that. I bet he was furious inside and probably openly when the US strong armed him into easing up on Israel. I don't think he will ever forget that and it will likely eat at him while he buys his time. Turkey and Mr. Erdogan have been fiercely independent these past few years and especially contrary to the US interests. For them to back off from Israel had to irritate him. Turkey is becoming a lot more interesting to follow these days at least...lol. Well got to run take care.

Later,
Seeker
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:03 am

Saturday, 15 October 2011, 11:03 GMT
PKK: Maliki shouldn't make himself a victim of Turkey's internal problem

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said sending Iraqi troops to the Iraqi Kurdistan Region borders with Iran is the best option to push out Kurdish separatist Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) and Free Life Party of Kurdistan (PJAK) militants who operate in the mountainous border areas.

PKK spokesman Ahmed Denis, said PKK sees Maliki's statement as a political statement, mainly pointed at Kurdistan Region leaders, rather than PKK. Denis believes Maliki is using all cards available to push Iraqi Kurdish leaders to solve their problems with Baghdad.

In interview with Reuters, the Iraqi prime minister said, "Sending Iraqi troops to the north of Iraq was the best option to push out Kurdish separatist PKK and PJAK militants who have hidden for years in Iraq's mountains. Logic says the way to end their presence, to end the Turkish and Iranian intervention in Iraqi affairs, is sending troops or creating enough Iraqi measures to prevent their presence on Iraqi territory." He added, "When and how we send them depends on our military capabilities and the nature of our situation, when there will be opportunity we will be there."

Turkish authorities have described Maliki's statement as positive. "Mr. Maliki's statement is positive. We have already demanded it.....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:10 am

Assad ‘eyes sectarian, ethnic fight’ in Turkey

Friday, October 14, 2011
GÖKSEL BOZKURT / SERKAN DERMİRTAŞ
ANKARA - Hürriyet Daily News

Syria is looking to stir up ethnic and sectarian unrest in Turkey, Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) co-chair Selahattin Demirtaş has warned, urging Ankara to reconcile with Turkey’s Kurdish population or face the risk of plunging deeper into conflict.

“Syria is about to explode. The unrest is continuing. The threats of [President Bashar] al-Assad’s regime to Turkey should not be underestimated. He has given a message: ‘We have religious and ethnic differences, so does Turkey. If we have domestic disturbances, then so will Turkey,’” Demirtaş said in an interview with the Hürriyet Daily News on Oct. 13.....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Erdoğan and Obama’S phone chats reveal Turkey’s ascent
16 October 2011

"International relations experts agree the United States and Turkey’s well-established alliance and Turkey’s ascent in the international arena explain why President Barack Obama has chatted with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan more than almost any other world leader despite fissures in a number of policy areas and differences between the two leaders’ governing styles.

The Los Angeles Times reported last week that Obama has placed more calls to Erdoğan than to any other world leader this year next to British Prime Minister David Cameron.

“It is remarkable to hear how often they speak,” former New York Times bureau chief in İstanbul Stephen Kinzer told Sunday’s Zaman in an exclusive interview. “I think that it’s due above all not to a personal relationship between the two but to Obama’s realization of the role that Turkey has come to play in the region and in the wider world. He understands what Turkey has become, and I think he understands Turkey’s potential to project into other Muslim countries ideals the West would like to see projected but cannot do itself,” Kinzer explained.".....

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-259995- ... scent.html
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Seeker

Postby Seeker on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Prime Minister Erdoğan lashes out at EU over latest progress report, Cyprus
Sunday, October 16, 2011
KIZILCAHAMAM - Hürriyet Daily News
Turkish prime minister blamed EU for unfair treatment to Turkey in its recently published progress report and warned to cut dialogue with the EU if the Greek Cypriots take over its rotating presidency next year.

.......“The progress report has once again shown the serious eclipse of reason at the EU. Turkey is closer to EU norms than ever and we all know why things are actually stuck,” Erdoğan said in a speech at his party’s gathering at Kızılcahamam, near Ankara, at the weekend.

“And their state of affairs is evident: they are crumbling, their currency is in disarray. But Turkey is up on its feet, and not thanks to them but to its own people,” he said........

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php? ... 2011-10-16

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:22 am

Cyprus to do more gas research-newspaper
Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:16am GMT

NICOSIA Oct 17 (Reuters) - Cyprus will carry out plans for more offshore oil and gas research in the next two to three weeks, a pro-government newspaper said on Monday, in a move sure to rile Turkey at loggerheads with the island over existing plans."......

http://af.reuters.com/article/energyOilNews/idAFL5E7LH08R20111017

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:35 am

Davutoğlu says Prime Minister Erdoğan, Obama argue over Iran
Monday, October 17, 2011
KIZILCAHAMAM, Ankara - Hürriyet

"Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan told U.S. President Barack Obama that his government "acted as Israel's lawyer," Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said yesterday.

Davutoğlu addressed deputies from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) during the party's gathering in the hot springs retreat of Kızılcahamam near the capital Ankara.

The Turkish foreign minister said Obama had phoned Erdoğan 11 times during the last nine months and a brief encounter took place during one of their conversations, when Obama complained about Turkey's role in Iran's uranium swap deal, asking why Erdoğan protected Iran.".....

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php? ... 2011-10-17

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:15 am

Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
Predating Stonehenge by 6,000 years, Turkey's stunning Gobekli Tepe upends the conventional view of the rise of civilization
By Andrew Curry
Photographs by Berthold Steinhilber
Smithsonian magazine, November 2008

"Six miles from Urfa, an ancient city in southeastern Turkey, Klaus Schmidt has made one of the most startling archaeological discoveries of our time: massive carved stones about 11,000 years old, crafted and arranged by prehistoric people who had not yet developed metal tools or even pottery. The megaliths predate Stonehenge by some 6,000 years. The place is called Gobekli Tepe, and Schmidt, a German archaeologist who has been working here more than a decade, is convinced it's the site of the world's oldest temple.".............

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... z1b2yrGxGe
-----------------------------------------------------------
Hey David looks like another pagan temple found in Turkey. When you return check out the article it has pictures of what they have dug up. Ancient Turkey is riddled with various pagan temples that have been found. That is one of the reasons I think that Satan has a home base of sorts.

Rev 2:12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;
Rev 2:13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.

This ties into Rev 17 where we see the progression of Satan's kingdoms of the past. All those previous kingdoms (Assyrian,Egyptian,Babylonian,Media-Persian,Greek,Roman,Ottoman) were all located in the same geographic region. It makes sense to me that Satan has sort of a headquarters as Rev 2:13 appears to imply. Everywhere they dig around Turkey they find ancient pagan temples. The pagan religions are all of Satan which would tell me that Satan has had a long and prosperous career in the ancient Turkish area. If you overlap all those previous kingdoms the core area contains what we know as Turkey. Pergamos is the modern city of Bergama, Turkey. I think there has been a passing of a baton from kingdom to kingdom. Each kingdom that arises in the area seems to fall victim to pagan religions. Today we have the modern pagan moon god religion called islam in that very same area.

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Turkey is a model for democracy and new relations with the West
October 18, 2011 12:59 AM
By Dilip Hiro
The Daily Star

In the changing contours of the Middle East, swept along by the Arab Spring, nothing has perhaps been as dramatic as the rise of Turkey. Several factors, both domestic and foreign, have coalesced to lift the nation’s standing in the region to new heights. Turkey’s rising trajectory was highlighted by the rock-star reception accorded to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan during his recent tour of the Arab Spring states of Egypt, Tunisia and Libya and his high-profile meetings during the annual session of the United Nations General Assembly.

By achieving landslide victories in three successive general elections since 2002 – the latest in June of this year – has Erdogan set a record at home in Turkey. He has also caught Arabs’ imagination as they struggle for a suitable input in the running of their countries. Many find the Turkish model enticing, with the moderate Islamic Justice and Development Party, known as AKP, in office; a secular constitution in place; a strong military that is subservient to the elected civilian authority; and an economy that has been expanding.

Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Opinion/Com ... z1b6KSyj28
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:58 am

Erdogan Facebook Critic May Get Two Years in Jail, Star Says
By Emre Peker - Oct 18, 2011 5:15 AM CT

Turkish prosecutors want a person jailed for two years on charges of insulting Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Facebook Inc., the world’s largest social network, Star newspaper said.

The chief prosecutor’s office in Ankara is leading an investigation into the allegations, Star reported, citing a legal complaint. Prosecutor Adem Can started preparing charges against the suspect after an e-mailed tip to the prime minister’s communications office, the newspaper said.

Police raided the defendant’s home and reviewed computer files seized during the operation, Star reported. Prosecutors are suing the person for insulting Erdogan, Parliament Speaker Cemil Cicek, ministers and lawmakers verbally, in writing and with images and videos, the complaint says, according to the newspaper."......

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-1 ... -says.html

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Istanbul: A World Financial Centre?
18th October 2011

"The Turkish government iѕ pursuing аn ambitious goal tо turn Istanbul into а global financial centre, where international investors соuld trade аll kinds of investment tools.....

....Large public banks suсh аѕ Halkbank аnd Vakifbank аre moving their headquarters tо Istanbul frоm Ankara аnd the Capital Markets Regulatory Board іѕ аlѕo planning tо move tо Istanbul.

To house thе nеw project, a 430 acre plot on thе Asian side of the city hаs beеn designated. There аre аlsо new regulations оn thе waу to deregulate Turkish financial markets аnd make thеm mоre appealing fоr investors."

http://southerndailypress.com/istanbul- ... tre/21198/

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:24 am

Turkey launches incursion into Iraq
By SELCAN HACAOGLU, Associated Press – 45 minutes ago

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — "Turkish soldiers, air force bombers and helicopter gunships launched an incursion into Iraq on Wednesday, hours after Kurdish rebels killed 24 soldiers and wounded 18 others in multiple attacks along the border.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey had launched large-scale operations, including "a hot pursuit within the limits of international law."
He did not elaborate, but added, "We will never bow to any attack from inside or outside Turkey.".....

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... ca5d9fcdae

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:58 am

The Real Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Morton Abramowitz | October 19, 2011

"Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been something of a rockstar not only in the Middle East but also in New York. His recent trip to the U.N. General Assembly was marked by high-profile interviews with Fareed Zakaria and Charlie Rose as well as by numerous articles proclaiming him the man of the hour and Turkey a new power, no longer dependent on the West and with its own agenda.

Erdogan has transformed Turkey in a way that no other leader has since Ataturk. The country is more dynamic, democratic and freer than it has ever been. Turkey’s vast economic growth has enabled it to again become a significant international player. He has particularly re-engaged with the Middle East and elevated Turkey as a model for the area. His activism and his anti-Israel stance are immensely popular domestically and in most Middle East countries. By all accounts Mr. Obama sees Erodgan as a constructive partner, speaks with him frequently by phone and seeks his views on the region.".....

http://nationalinterest.org/commentary/the-real-recep-tayyip-erdogan-6031

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:53 am

Turkey uses large offensive against Kurdish rebels
By SELCAN HACAOGLU
The Associated Press

ANKARA, Turkey — About 10,000 elite Turkish soldiers were taking part in a ground offensive against Kurdish rebels in southeastern Turkey and across the border in Iraq on Thursday, making it the nation's largest attack on the insurgents in more than three years, the military said.".......

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/tu ... 06119.html

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:00 am

FIELDS: Turkey’s abrupt about-face
Erdogan pivots from secular West to Islamist East

ISTANBUL.

A young American man with black hair and dark brown eyes checked into a small hotel in Capadaccio, where visitors to Turkey flock to see the famous lava formations carved into the landscape.

“Are you Muslim?” the clerk asked, acknowledging his Semitic features.

“No, I’m Jewish,” the young man replied, smiling and assuming the question was asked in good faith and good humor.

“Oh, the clerk replied, disappointment in his voice. “This is not a good time for Jews in Turkey.”........

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... bout-face/

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:56 am

Turkey $2 Billion Lira Defense Fails to UBS as Reserves Sink
Steve Bryant and Selcuk Gokoluk, ©2011 Bloomberg News
Thursday, October 20, 2011

Oct. 19 (Bloomberg) -- Turkey may lack resources to stop the lira's tumble after selling more than $2 billion this week to prop up the currency, extending a two-month campaign to end the declines, according to UBS AG and Commerzbank AG.

Central bank reserves fell more than 9 percent from a record high of $93.9 billion on July 8 to $85.1 billion on Oct. 7 as policy makers accelerated dollar sales. Turkey's foreign- exchange holdings equal about four months of imports and represent 42 percent of the government's annual external financing needs, Timothy Ash, the head of emerging-market research at Royal Bank of Scotland Group Plc in London, said in an e-mailed report.

"We are skeptical that intervention will be sufficient to arrest the lira's decline," Manik Narain, an emerging-market strategist at UBS in London, said by e-mail yesterday. "The central bank of Turkey's foreign-exchange reserves ammunition is weak when one takes short-term external debt into consideration.".....

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... z1bQNMOBSs

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:06 am

Turkey, Iran vow to collaborate against Kurdish rebels together as Turkish offensive proceeds
By Associated Press, Updated: Friday, October 21, 4:56 AM

ANKARA, Turkey — Turkey and Iran vowed Friday to collaborate in their fight against Kurdish rebels, as thousands of Turkish troops pressed ahead with an air and ground offensive against the militants in northern Iraq for a third day.

The foreign ministers of Iran and Turkey announced plans to cooperate against rebels of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, or PKK, and its Iranian wing, the Party of Free Life of Kurdistan, or PJAK, during a joint news conference in Ankara. Both groups, labeled as terrorist organizations by the United States, have been fighting for Kurdish autonomy in their respective countries.

“Our joint determination to struggle against the PKK and the PJAK will continue in the strongest way,” Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said. “From now on, we will work together in a joint action plan until this terrorist threat is totally eliminated.”.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mid ... story.html

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:12 am

Kabul prepares for Istanbul Conference
By Sediq Amarkhil
2011-10-20

KABUL – Preparations for the November 2 Istanbul Conference are under way in Afghanistan, said Janan Musazai, spokesman for the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

“The main purpose of the conference is to strengthen and improve co-operation among the ‘heart of Asia’ countries to bring enduring security and trust in the countries of the region,” Musazai told Central Asia Online.".........

http://centralasiaonline.com/en_GB/arti ... wsbrief-03

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:49 pm

Iran, the Saudis and the New 'Great Game'
By STEPHEN KINZER
Published: October 20, 2011

....."Here lies an essential truth of the intensifying rivalry between Iran and Saudi Arabia. Most people in the Middle East reject both of them. The political and social models they offer are less attractive than ever. Both countries are isolated from the world and governed by misogynistic gerontocracies. They are hardly inspirational models for idealistic Arabs — especially not for the young, who have no wish to live under the paralyzing social restrictions that deaden life in Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Since neither country can realistically hope to dominate the region, why is their rivalry so intense? It is less about asserting power than blocking a perceived enemy. Each side believes the other is plotting against it — not without reason — and sees counteroffense as its best option. Much of what happens in the Middle East over the coming months and years will be shaped by this semi-clandestine war.

There are other contenders for regional leadership. Egypt has a historical claim, but will be focused on internal politics for at least the next several years. Iraq is violently unstable. The more likely candidate is Turkey.

Turkey has several advantages: a history of regional influence, a government headed by pious Muslims, a creative and ambitious foreign policy, good ties to the West, and above all a successful society. "......

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/21/opini ... zer21.html

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:19 am

Turkey: An enlarged sphere
Posted on Tuesday, 18 October 2011 17:46
By Nicholas Norbrook

Since the fall of Egypt's Hosni Mubarak, Turkey has wasted no opportunities to step into the limelight of Middle Eastern politics. Now it's asserting itself as the moral leader in the region.

Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has always had an eye for the politics of gesture.

By striking a pose alongside his wife in front of cameras in the heart of Mogadishu and throwing his "litmus test" sound-bite to the headine writers, the Turkish leader sent a strong message.

The visit came days after Turkey and other Islamic countries pledged $350m in food aid to Somalia.

Erdogan's diplomacy seems to show that Turkey now considers everything within a two-hour flight of Ankara to be part of its sphere of influence.

The fall of Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak, a key US ally in the Middle East, has boosted Turkey."......

http://www.theafricareport.com/index.ph ... 75690.html

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:30 am

Israeli official: Cyprus military drills not meant to 'send message' to Turkey
Published 11:58 22.10.11
By Haaretz
Israeli source tells Cyprus Mail that its plan to hold military exercised in Cyprus airspace is routine for the Israeli military and there is no political agenda behind it.

"An Israeli official said on Saturday that there was no political agenda behind its decision to hold a military drill in Cyprus airspace, denying allegations it way trying to “send a message” to Turkey, Cyprus’s longtime enemy, the Cyprus Mail reported."......

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-d ... y-1.391380

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:40 am

Hard Turkey
21 October 2011, Friday / SHLOMO AVINERI , TODAY’S ZAMAN

...."At the same time, renewed violent incursions into northern Iraq in pursuit of alleged guerillas suggest a reversion to hardline anti-Kurdish policies. The withdrawal of US forces from Iraq only seems to have encouraged Turkey’s will to create a cordon sanitaire on the Iraqi side of the border – and possibly to establish a counterweight to Iran’s influence on a Shia-led government in Baghdad. And, while Turkey’s agreement to host NATO anti-missile radar facilities, and its recent seizure of a Syrian-registered arms ship, may please the West, here, too, its policies are focused on “hard” military power.

Similarly, Erdoğan’s recent visit to Egypt, Libya, and Tunisia brings out the ambivalence of Turkey’s new claim to regional hegemony. While Egypt’s shaky military junta welcomed Erdoğan, many Egyptians were not happy about his hectoring them – and other Arabs – to follow Turkish policies and to regard Turkey as their Muslim leader. A new sultanate? Erdoğan as the new Saladin?

Turkey has an enormously important role to play in the region. It could be a bridge between the West and the East, between Islam and modernity, and between Israel and the Arabs. But it runs the danger of succumbing to the arrogance of power, which has corrupted and sidelined many strong states in the past."

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-260627-hard-turkey.html

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:56 am

Powerful earthquake shakes eastern Turkey

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) – A powerful earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.2 struck eastern Turkey Sunday, collapsing some buildings and causing a number of deaths, officials said. At least 50 people were injured."....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/stor ... 50880238/1

Seeker

Postby Seeker on Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:05 am

Turkey: Gaddafi’s Death A ‘Turning Point’ For Libya
Written by: SETimes
October 23, 2011
By Alakbar Raufoglufor

"As for Turkey’s role, he said “Ankara should work closely with Libya to ensure the transition is successful, and that a stable, peaceful nation emerges.”

Oytun Orhan, Middle East analyst at the Center for Middle Eastern Strategic Studies in Ankara, however, believes Libya’s future is in its people’s hands. “Today they got even greater chance of building for themselves a strong and democratic future and international friends.”......

http://www.eurasiareview.com/23102011-t ... for-libya/

--------------------------------------------------

Eze 38:5 Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya with them; all of them with shield and helmet:

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:54 am

Take US claims seriously, says FM Davutoğlu

Sunday, October 23, 2011
ANKARA - Hürriyet Daily News

Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said he advised Iran to take seriously the United States’ claims that some Iranian officials engaged in a plot to kill Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Washington and assist legal proceedings in a transparent manner, correcting his earlier statement that he did not believe in the veracity of such an allegation.

“Our advice to our neighbor Iran is to take notice of the evidence that the U.S. has and to assist the legal process in a totally transparent manner,” said Davutoğlu late Oct.21, Anatolia news agency reported.

The statement came only hours after Davutoğlu said, “We don’t believe Iran with its state traditions would engage in such plot,” at a joint press conference with visiting Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akhbar Salehi.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:13 am

Where Islam and democracy meet, uneasily
Oct 21, 2011 11:40 EDT

Last month, Davut Dogan, an amiable, 51-year-old businessman from Turkey’s Anatolian heartland, accompanied Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on a historic trip to post-Mubarak Egypt. In a single day, Dogan and 259 other Turkish business leaders flush with cash announced $853 million in new contracts.

“We will go to Egypt next month to finalize the deal,” said Dogan, who is opening a $10 million furniture manufacturing plant there. “The factory will employ two hundred people.”

From the rapturous welcome Erdogan received to the economic power the Turkish businessmen displayed, the trip demonstrated Turkey’s potential to serve as a model for the Post-Arab spring Middle East. The violent death of Muammar Gaddafi Thursday in Libya and elections in Tunisia this weekend show the desperate need for an alternative to the region’s two failed models of government: American-backed dictatorships and authoritarian Islam....

**** Snip ****

Soli Ozel, a professor of International Relations at Kadir Has University in Istanbul, said that Erdogan is moving toward “electoral authoritarianism.” Elections will be held in Turkey, but the outcome will never be in doubt.

Ozel warned that continued political and economic paralysis in the West could make the high growth and one party rule of China and Russia appealing to Erdogan and a new generation of Middle Eastern leaders.

“Unless the West gets out of its current economic malaise, it will be like the 1930s,” Ozel predicted. “Democracy will lose its allure. Authoritarianism is going to have a feast.”....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:43 am

Hey David,

Saw you were logged in so took a day off lol. Glad you are back so how was your vacation fun I hope.

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:29 am

I had a good time. It was great to be in support and service to others. Batteries recharged.....

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:46 am

Gülen: ‘Shame for military to stage coups but not to finish off the PKK’
24 October 2011, Monday / TODAY'S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL

Renowned Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has said it is shameful that the Turkish military, which ruled millions of people after staging coups, has failed to bring an end to outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) terrorism despite three decades having passed since it came into existence.

In his latest speech broadcast on the herkul.org website, Gülen expressed his grief over the deaths of dozens of security members during terrorist attacks in the country's Southeast last week. He also expressed his disappointment over the Turkish military's failure to end PKK terrorism over the past 30 years.

“As many people know, we are one of the countries with the biggest army and mechanized units in the UN and NATO, to which Turkey is a member. If you want to see what that force and mechanized units can do, take a look at the May 27 [1960] military coup. That force [the military] dominated the people of its own nation and took 25-30 million people hostage. The same force has oppressed thousands of people once in every decade, putting people in jail and sending them to exile. You [the military] used your force to the very end there [in staging coups], you ruled the streets but it is a shame that you have been unable to finish off a group of bandits in the mountains over the last 30 years,” Gülen said.....

**** Snip ****

Gülen pointed to foreign powers behind the PKK and said these powers, which are uncomfortable by Turkey's growth in the region, are lending support to the terrorist organization.

“The presence of Turkey's enemies, who are disturbed about Turkey being a balancing power in the international arena and influential country in the region, should not be overlooked....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:57 am

Turkish Wirtschaftswunder
By Soner Cagaptay
Hurriyet Daily News, October 23, 2011

Welcome to the new Turkey: a strong economy and a strong foreign policy, at least until 2020.

In the 1950s, Germany experienced a decade of sustained economic growth known as Wirtschaftswunder (economic miracle), which transformed the country into a major European power. Since 2002, Turkey has been experiencing its own decade-long Wirtschaftswunder, casting Ankara as the dominant power in its neighborhood.

Turkey's new foreign policy is as much rooted in the Turkish Wirtschaftswunder as it is in the country's transformation under the Justice and Development Party (AKP) beginning in 2002. Furthermore, in a near-perfect alignment of the stars, Turkey's demographic situation and its political stability both suggest that the Turkish Wirtschaftswunder could continue until at least 2020, feeding into Ankara's claim to regional power.

Since 2002, the Turkish economy has more than doubled in size, reaching a magnitude of $1.1 trillion. Already the largest Middle Eastern economy, Turkey could rival Spain and Italy as the largest economy in the Mediterranean. ....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:10 am

Turkey moves into Iraq near PKK camp
24 October 2011, Monday / TODAYSZAMAN.COM WITH REUTERS,

Turkish tanks and armored vehicles crossed into northern Iraq headed in the direction of a Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) camp, Turkish security sources said on Monday.

The incursion came as cross-border operations continued in the wake of last week's attack by PKK terrorists that killed 24 Turkish soldiers.

The armored column, with hundreds of troops, was moving towards a PKK camp at Haftanin, around 20 km (12 miles) from the Habur border post and near the Iraqi city of Zakho, the sources said.

Several hundred PKK terrorists were believed to be based at Haftanin, the sources said. Warplanes took off earlier from bases in Diyarbakır and Malatya to launch airstrikes on the camp as the latest phase of operations began on Monday afternoon.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:48 am

Turkey's Hand in the Syrian Opposition
OCT 26 2011, 7:00 AM ET
The Turkish government would have every reason to try and steer Syria's activists, and it looks

"After seven months of wrangling to form a cohesive opposition movement, Syrian activists finally pulled it off with the formal announcement in Istanbul of the Syrian National Council (SNC), a body that mirrors the Libyan opposition's National Transitional Council in seeking international recognition. But the opposition group, which formed in Istanbul and is headquartered there, appears to be increasingly influenced by the Turkish government, which has so far played a significant role in helping to usher Syria toward a post-Assad era."....

http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... on/247330/

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:06 am

Turkey’s mighty Erdogan

Abroad, he’s drawn comparisons to the legendary Sultan Saladin. But back home, many Turks are uneasy.
by Adnan R. Khan on Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:20am - 0 Comments

It was one coup among many. On Sept. 25, after passionately arguing in favour of the Palestinians’ right to a unilateral declaration of statehood at the UN General Assembly in New York, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan left with a hero in his back pocket. On board his government jet was a 1,900-year-old statue of Hercules, procured from the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, where it had sat, an object of ownership controversy, for nearly 30 years. Reclaiming the relic for Turkey was a symbolic act, but the 57-year-old prime minister had done what so many of his predecessors had failed to do. He brought Hercules—his head and torso at least—home to be reunited with the Greek hero’s less attractive but arguably more manly lower half, sitting forlorn and incomplete at the archaeological museum in Antalya, a city steeped in history situated on Turkey’s stunning Mediterranean coast.

In Turkey, Erdogan’s government was hailed for the statue’s return. It was not the only praise the PM had recently received. Only days earlier, during a trip to Egypt, he’d been compared to another, less mythic but equally meaningful hero, this time from Islamic history. In Cairo, frenzied crowds showered the Turkish leader with praise, calling him the “new Saladin”—a reference to the 12th-century Kurdish conqueror who wrested Jerusalem away from Christian Crusaders in 1187. Heady times—and not without reason.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:25 am

Turkish Yields, Lira Surge as Central Bank Doubles Funding Cost
October 26, 2011, 11:37 AM EDT
By Benjamin Harvey

Oct. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Turkish bond yields and the lira surged after Central Bank Governor Erdem Basci moved to tighten liquidity by effectively doubling interest rates as he sought to support the currency and fight off accelerating inflation."......

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-1 ... -cost.html

-----------------------------------------

Hey David this one is turning out to be quite the battle. I have been watching their currency and it does look like they are winning the battle for now but the market is also moving in their favor currently. I expect this is the last up surge for the euro and DOW before a major downward correction. That usually drags the lira down with it so am watching for the next down cycle to see if the Lira holds its strength. Mr. Erdogan and Mr. Gull both have advanced degrees in economics so they may be able to come up with a plan to fight the market speculators. If they can do that then they could probably dominate the currency markets and start pushing the other currencies around with their policies. Just a sideline that I am curious about. If they do successfully defend the Lira then they indeed have some financial clout behind them.

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:50 am

HI Seeker. A number of GCC countries have established financial relations through banks and other means, even opening up branches in Turkey. They all favor sharia compliant financial transactions, and a lot of money is coming into Turkey as a result. Turkey's problem is consumer spending and resulting credit debt from low interest rates and not being able to produce enough goods themselves to meet demands, thus the imbalance of import/export. Short term they definitely have struggle, got to slow down the consumer fire, but I think long term we will see muslim nations coming together to establish their own financial zone, maybe as the Eurozone flops and the dollar bubble bursts. Ultimately I think this will result in the MOB, but how that will show up is still a mystery to me. It could be their own currency revolving around oil and natural gas.

Maybe...

God Bless You

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:24 am

Azerbaijan, Turkey sign gas delivery deal
By Robert M Cutler

MONTREAL - Long negotiations between Azerbaijan and Turkey over natural gas deliveries have been successfully concluded, the Turkish government announced on October 26, a day after Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliev and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan convened the first meeting of the Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Strategic Cooperation Council in Izmir. The negotiations had lasted almost two years.

The question of gas quantities was not settled and will be discussed later, the Turkish newspaper Sabah reported, quoting Erdogan. That is to be expected, given the intricate staging of the process for implementing the project. Tamam Bayatli, head of BP-Azerbaijan's foreign relations department, told the Trend news agency in Baku that signing the agreement documents was necessary now to allow the process of pipeline selection to go further forward.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:35 am

Ankara will not tolerate Syrian repression, FM says

Thursday, October 27, 2011
AMMAN / JERUSALEM

Turkey has no intention of permitting any chaos or oppression in Syria, Turkey’s foreign minister has said, adding that Ankara would do everything to ensure that the Syrian people realize their rightful demands.

“We will not allow any chaos or oppression in Syria, this is our responsibility toward the Syrian people,” Davutoğlu told a joint press conference with his Jordanian counterpart, Nasser Judeh, in Amman.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:43 am

Turkey shelters Syrian rebels

Once one of Syria’s closest allies, Turkey is hosting an armed opposition group waging an insurgency against the government of President Bashar al-Assad, providing shelter to the commander and dozens of members of the group, the Free Syrian Army, and allowing them to orchestrate attacks across the border from inside a camp guarded by the Turkish military.

The support for the insurgents comes amid a broader Turkish campaign to undermine Assad’s government. Turkey is expected to impose sanctions soon on Syria, and it has deepened its support for an umbrella political opposition group known as the Syrian National Council, which announced its formation in Istanbul....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:53 am

Published 16:52 30.10.11 Latest update 16:52 30.10.11
Turkey's Erdogan holds Assad's fate in his hands
Syrian protesters and army defectors can only dent Assad's iron hold on the country, unless, that is, Turkey continues to silently sponsor his opponents.
By Anshel Pfeffer

It's been eight months of bloody crackdowns, and Bashar Assad is still standing. NATO, the Arab League, and the United Nations would never confront him, whether his men continue to slaughter dozens of civilians every day, or not. He is flanked by Iran and Hezbollah, with Russia and China continuing to back him up diplomatically.

Even the defections from his military and the rebellions within it have yet to endanger Assad's rule, and will continue to fail as long as the Alwai top brass remains loyal to the president. As of now, they have no one else to be loyal to.

But, it appears that Assad has one weak point, one to which his adversaries are aiming for with a pointed dagger. The one man holding Assad's future in his hands is Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, whose soldiers have in the last four months, silently and surely, created a buffer zone between the two countries.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:56 am

Turkey Turns on Assad
A new chance for the U.S. to support regime change in Damascus.

President Obama has been reluctant to call for regime change in Syria, but now he's getting another chance to lead from behind. Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has gone from an ally of Bashar Assad's regime to a leading adversary, and the U.S. should support the change of heart.

Mr. Erdogan was initially cautious to support the uprising against the Syrian leader, whom he considered a friend. Instead the Turkish leader called for reform, but Mr. Assad merely humored that request and then turned his guns on his own people. More than 3,000 Syrians have been killed since the popular uprising began in mid-March, and thousands of others have sought political refuge across the Turkish border.

Now the Turks are helping the Syrian opposition. The Syrian National Council, an umbrella opposition group modelled after the Libyan rebel government, was formed in Istanbul last month. Ahmet Davutoglu, Turkey's foreign minister, recently held the first formal talks by any foreign official with the opposition group, and Turkey plans to impose fresh sanctions on Damascus.....

Contionues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:19 am

Turkey says ready to train Iraqi forces if plans for US training fail
31 October 2011, Monday / TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL

Turkey has told Iraq that it is ready to provide training for Iraqi security forces if the Iraqi and US governments fail to agree on a deal for US training of Iraqi security personnel, a news report said.

The offer was made by Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan during a meeting with Iraqi Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi, who visited Ankara on Friday, the Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) reported, citing a statement from the Iraqi Presidency on Sunday. The statement came after a recent announcement by Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki that negotiations with the US over training for Iraqi forces came to a dead end because the Iraqi side rejected US demands for immunity for its troops.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:56 am

Turkey to host meeting on Afghan security, economy
By CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA, Associated Press – 7 hours ago

ISTANBUL (AP) — Diplomats are campaigning this week for a stable Afghanistan after the planned withdrawal of international combat forces by the end of 2014, a goal imperiled by militant attacks, a weak Afghan government and the conflicting interests of regional players.

International delegates were converging on Istanbul on Tuesday before the conference on security and economic development in Afghanistan against a backdrop of high-profile assaults in the Kabul area in the last few months."....

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... c4d78efaad

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:00 am

Turkey: Regional meeting to address security, economy in Afghanistan before troop pullout

By Associated Press, Updated: Tuesday, November 1, 6:51 AM

ISTANBUL — Diplomats are campaigning this week for a stable Afghanistan after the planned withdrawal of international combat forces by the end of 2014, a goal imperiled by militant attacks, a weak Afghan government and the conflicting interests of regional players.

International delegates were converging on Istanbul on Tuesday before the conference on security and economic development in Afghanistan against a backdrop of high-profile assaults in the Kabul area in the last few months.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai and President Asif Ali Zardari of Pakistan met ahead of the regional conference on Wednesday amid tension over Afghan and U.S. demands that Pakistan do more to curb militant activity and sanctuaries on its territory. Pakistan denies it shelters or supports the Haqqani network, a Taliban wing blamed for an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Kabul in September and other deadly operations.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Edit: Oops, sorry for stepping on your toes Seeker, re your last post.
Last edited by Exit40 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:01 am

Clinton urges Turkey to smooth ties with neighbors
Reuters
7:26 p.m. CDT, October 31, 2011

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Turkey must do more to cement democratic gains and smooth prickly ties with neighbors such as Israel if it is to emerge as a guarantor of Middle Eastern stability, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Monday.

Clinton, speaking to the American-Turkish Council in Washington, said the "Turkish miracle" had seen that country's economy triple in size over the last decade as reforms opened up both the political and economic sectors to new competition."...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/poli ... 6650.story

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:16 am

Should the U.S. sell Turkey weapons to use against the PKK?

CNN’s Security Clearance blog reported yesterday that according to the U.S. Defense Security Cooperation Agency, the Obama administration may transfer combat helicopters from existing Marine inventory to Turkey.

“The DSCA has formally notified Congress of a possible sale of AH-1W Super Cobra Attack helicopters to Turkey. The notification was required under the U.S. Arms Export Control Act. Turkey's ongoing fight against the Kurdistan Workers Party, or PKK, is one of the reasons for the proposed sale a State Department official told CNN.”

This arms sale has led some to ask: Could this come back to haunt the United States, leading the PKK to carry out terrorist attacks against American targets?

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:53 am

Erdoğan says Syria’s ‘glorious resistance’ will succeed
01 November 2011, Tuesday / TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL

In yet another show of support for the opponents of Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has said he believes the opposition will be successful in their “glorious” resistance to the ongoing government crackdown.

Speaking during his Justice and Development Party's (AK Party) parliamentary group meeting on Tuesday, Erdoğan continued his severe criticisms of the Syrian administration. “We had a friendship that began nine years ago but Syria failed to appreciate this. They [Syrian rulers] did not pay heed to our warnings. … But we cannot remain silent in the face of this process. We will continue to display the necessary stance. I believe that the Syrian people will be successful in their glorious resistance,” he said.

Turkey, once a close ally of the Syrian president, has gradually toughened its criticism of the Syrian regime for its brutal crackdown on anti-regime protests. Last month, Erdoğan slammed Assad, suggesting that Syria would be the next country on the Arab Spring list and that Assad would eventually be ousted by his own people....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:20 am

Turkey to rewrite software source codes of 204 F-16 fighters
By
aira
– November 1, 2011Posted in: Featured Stories, Sci/Tech, USA

LALE KEMAL, ANKARA
The US administration agreed in principle almost two months ago for the transfer of information over software source codes of US Lockheed Martin-made F-16 fighters to Turkey.

Once the agreement is completed, and if approved by the US Congress, Turkey will have the capability to automatically modify the software source codes of the fighters’ weapons systems with national software source codes, said US sources who asked not to be named.Turkey will become the first nation among 26 to have the F-16s in their inventories and have the ability to receive information on the F-16 fighters’ software source codes — primarily their weapons systems — thereby enabling it to replace them with national software source codes whenever necessary.....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby burien1 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Exit40 wrote:Turkey to rewrite software source codes of 204 F-16 fighters
By
aira
– November 1, 2011Posted in: Featured Stories, Sci/Tech, USA

LALE KEMAL, ANKARA
The US administration agreed in principle almost two months ago for the transfer of information over software source codes of US Lockheed Martin-made F-16 fighters to Turkey.

Once the agreement is completed, and if approved by the US Congress, Turkey will have the capability to automatically modify the software source codes of the fighters’ weapons systems with national software source codes, said US sources who asked not to be named.Turkey will become the first nation among 26 to have the F-16s in their inventories and have the ability to receive information on the F-16 fighters’ software source codes — primarily their weapons systems — thereby enabling it to replace them with national software source codes whenever necessary.....

Continues

God Bless

David

I know little about weapons and source codes, but this sounds very stupid on our part.
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby Exit40 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:44 am

Turkey Orders 30 F-16C Block 50s etc. for $2.9B
Oct 31, 2011 17:25 EDT

AIR_F-16s_Turkish_Armed.jpg
TuAF F-16s
(click to view full)

HUD order; 1st delivery; Turkey reportedly getting source code access. (Oct 30/11)

More than 200 F-16 aircraft currently make up the backbone of Turkey’s current fighter fleet. On Sept 28/06, the US DSCA (Defense Security Cooperation Agency) notified Congress of a possible Foreign Military Sale to Turkey of 30 more F-16C Block 50 aircraft, as well as associated equipment and services. The total value, if all options are exercised, could be as high as $2.9 billion. This sale is in addition to Turkey’s billion-dollar upgrade program for its existing F-16 fleet, which aims to bring all of its aircraft to a common configuration.

Turkey is one of 5 countries that has built F-16s locally (USA, Belgium, Netherlands, South Korea, Turkey), and the final Turkish F-16 under this contract will be delivered in 2013. This article will cover the deal, as its component contracts and agreements come together…

**** Snip ****

When added to Turkey’s existing industrial capabilities, source code access could also serve as a partial form of insurance against damage to their American alliance. It would allow substitutions of local equipment for American-supplied gear as necessary, in a country that can already assemble and maintain the aircraft. That confers a great deal of independence. ....

More info

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:49 am

Subject: Turkey to retrofit all it's F-16 with indegenous mission computers
TAI_New 12/26/2010 9:52:01 AM
After hints that the US can disable Turkish F-16?s by executing hidden segments of software not revealed to Turkish authorities in the critical mission computers of the F-16, the Turkish Air Force has given orders for the removal and replacement of all US made or foreign originated mission computers on it?s F-16 aircraft with the indigenous ASELSAN designed, developed and produced mission computers. It is said that the new mission computers also allow Turkish weapons to be used on the Turkish vipers. ?TuAF F-16 Block 30s to fly with Turkish computers? link Turkey will start integrating indigenous flight mission computers on its fleet of Block 30-type F-16 fighting falcons, daily Hurriyet newspaper reported. The decision came after a key Defense Industry Executive Committee (SSIK) meeting that, for the first time, gave the green light for development of Turkey?s first modern jet trainer and combat aircraft. Turkey?s move to start using its own mission computers on F-16s will greatly increase the country?s self-sufficiency in aerial defence and add to its growing pool of know-how and aerospace technology. Turkish F-16s foreign-originated mission computers and hidden source codes have long been a matter of controversy, with some claiming that foreign manufacturers held the power to disable Turkish jets by executing hidden segments of software not revealed to Turkish authorities. The decision to start using indigenously-developed Turkish mission computers and flight software will effectively eliminate these worries. Turkey?s military eletronics giant Aselsan will design and assemble the new mission computers....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

PreviousNext

Return to Prophecy Debate Area