A general guideline for debating-From Herb

(heavily moderated)

A general guideline for debating-From Herb

Postby Lookfortruth on Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:18 am

Herb had some guidelines outlining what he felt were not debatable. Here is the article he had written on the subject:
http://www.fulfilledprophecy.com/non-debatables.html
Non-Debatables

As long as certain rules are followed, posters at FulfilledProphecy's discussion board have been free to debated just about anything -- including different views on Bible prophecy. In fact, one of the reasons our discussion board was created in the first place was because I was banned at a large, pre-tribulation board. And, I never even broke any rule (although this was claimed). In my opinion, it was simply a knee-jerk reaction by an administrator to some of the information that I was reporting. However, this being said, that doesn't mean we here at FP shouldn't also have some non-debatables.

What caused me to see the need to list certain non-debatbles was a poster who recently used our board to challenge the doctrine of the Trinity -- claiming it wasn't biblical. I, on the other hand, believe the doctrine of the Trinity is an essential element of our Christian faith. This makes it one of the few things I don't want debated. And, the Bible says:

Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints (Jude 1:3 New American Standard Bible).

So, I decided to list what I consider non-debatables. Here they are:

The doctrine of the Trinity -- I believe in One God, existing in three Persons (not manifestations) -- the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. No debate allowed.

The doctrine of the deity of Christ. Jesus is God in the flesh. No debate allowed.

The doctrine of salvation by grace through faith. We don't need the Law anymore to be saved. Jesus is the end of the Law for those who believe. No debate allowed.

The authority and the inerrancy of Scripture. The Bible is the Word of God. No debate allowed.

I may not have expressed things exactly right. But, keep in mind -- I'm not a pastor and FP is not a church. All I am is a Christian, end-time reporter. What I listed above is simply the way I believe. I don't draw lines easily and I see many other places in Scripture for wiggle room -- especially when it comes to prophecy. However, in the above few issues of doctrine, I'm not willing to bend.

Hope you understand.

Herb
04-04-06

We should also be mindful of the Statement of faith, and gospel message that was outlined by the founder of this board:
http://fulfilledprophecy.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=12117
Herb
Board Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:16 am Post subject: The Gospel Message Reply with quote
Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that
He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also (1 Corinthians 15:1-8 New American Standard Bible).

I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed! (Galatians 1:6-9)

http://fulfilledprophecy.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9095
Herb
Board Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:00 am Post subject: Statement of Faith Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Statement of Faith

I believe in:

1. The Virgin Birth of Jesus Christ.

2. The Sinless Life of Jesus Christ.

3. The Substitionary atonement of Jesus Christ.

4. The Bodily Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus Christ.

5. The Bodily Return of Jesus Christ.

6. The Resurrection of the Dead.

7. The teaching of Salvation by Grace through Faith.

8. The Deity of Jesus Christ.

9. The Trinity - The tri-equality, tri-essental (of the same essence), and
the tri-eternality of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

10. The full authority of the Holy Scripture in all matters of Faith and
practice. Generally, Verbal plenary confluent inspiration of the original
autographs (Original copies of Scripture).

Herb
Candy
Lookfortruth

Postby mark s on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:53 am

:bump:
ειπεν αυτη ο ιησους εγω ειμι η αναστασις και η ζωη ο πιστευων εις εμε καν αποθανη ζησεται
. . . saying to her Jesus, I AM the resurrection and the life, the one believing into Me even dying shall live . . .
mark s

Return to Prophecy Debate Area