Turkey : Part Four

(heavily moderated)

Re: Turkey : Part Four

Postby Exit40 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:49 am

Turkey: Erdogan Fueling Hostility Against the West
by Uzay Bulut
October 13, 2020 at 4:00 am

The current problem is greater than the Turkish government's violations against territorial waters and airspace of Greece, its continued occupation of northern Cyprus, or its threatening Europe with mass Muslim immigration or Islamist terrorists, among other hostile actions.

The problem includes Erdogan's fueling of hatred and hostility within society against Europe and the rest of the West.

This attitude does not seem fit either for Turkey's European Union candidacy or its NATO membership....

Snip... Macron stated that the seven EU leaders wished "to avoid an escalation, but that does not mean we should be passive". He added:

"We must be tough with the Turkish government and not with the Turkish people who deserve more than the Erdogan government. All unilateral actions of Turkey, such as the Turkish-Libyan memorandum, without respecting the rights of Greece, are unacceptable. It unfairly multiplies the challenges.

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:16 am

It’s Time to Get Real About U.S. Interests in the South Caucasus
Hagop Toghramadjian and Kathleen Bailey National Review•October 13, 2020

Coverage of the decades-long Armenia–Azerbaijan conflict often focuses on regional implications, repeating customary lines about potential tensions between Russia and Turkey and mentioning the proximity of Iran. But the scale of the fighting since September 27 is striking enough to justify attention on its own. As of October 12, at least 500 Armenian soldiers have been killed in nonstop firefights along a 100-mile front (Azerbaijan does not release casualty information). Azerbaijan has unleashed a campaign of indiscriminate cluster bombing against Armenian civilian centers; Stepanakert (population 55,000) is reduced to rubble. In Armenia, where thousands of volunteers have streamed to the front, the battle is grimly referred to as the goyamart: a fight for survival. In just two weeks, the clashes have already developed into one of the largest conventional military engagements of the 21st century .

In the name of hard-headed “realism,” important voices in the D.C. foreign-policy establishment are pressing a dangerously simplistic view of the conflict. To them, there is nothing much to discuss: Azerbaijan is “on our team” against Iran and Russia, so we should cheer for its success against the outnumbered Armenians. It’s irrefutable “geopolitical math.”

The assumptions underlying this simplistic interpretation are faulty. As we discuss below, Azerbaijan is in fact deceptively close to Iran and Russia. Meanwhile, Armenia’s fundamental social and political orientations promise to make it a much more sincere and durable partner of the United States....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:54 am

Why Palestinians Will Not Accept Advice from Arabs
by Khaled Abu Toameh October 14, 2020 at 6:00 am

Palestinian leaders are continuing to act not only against the advice of [former Egyptian President Hosni] Mubarak and other Arabs, but also against the interests of their own people.

"The Palestinian leadership has lost its credibility in the eyes of the new Arab generation, which is a generation of technology...." — Abdullah Al-Ghathami, professor of criticism and theory at King Saud University, Twitter, September 25, 2020.

Pointedly,.... the Fatah delegation in Istanbul last week met with officials from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, as well as Turkish and Qatari intelligence officers.... and discussed... ways of "coordinating positions to direct blows to the interests of the Arab countries, especially the Arab Gulf states and Egypt."

The report added that "analysts specializing in the Palestinian issue commented that Qatar and Turkey will use Abbas to harm the interests of Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the UAE, Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Sudan, Mauritania, Morocco and Tunisia."

The report also revealed that Qatar recently gave Abbas and some of his aides more than $50 million for their personal bank accounts inside banks in Israel and the Palestinian Authority areas."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:35 am

Erdogan Declares War on Arabs
by Khaled Abu Toameh October 16, 2020 at 5:00 am

"Some countries in our region did not exist yesterday, and they may not exist in the future...." — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, addressing parliament on October 1, 2020.

"His [Erdogan's] crimes against the Arab peoples must be exposed, such as his massacres against the Syrian people, against the Kurds in the Kurdistan region of Iraq, and in Libya...." — Abdel Aziz Razan, a Saudi adviser at the Center for Arab-Russia Studies, Okaz, October 4, 2020.

Such powerful responses made by Saudis and other Arabs to Erdogan's contemptuous statements show that the Arabs now understand it is Erdogan and his friends in Iran whom they should fear. In the eyes of these Arabs, Erdogan and his Iranian connections represent the real threat to their security and stability.

In light of such reactions, perhaps more Arab countries will follow the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain in signing diplomatic agreements with Israel. The State of Israel, as it turns out, is a strategic and strong ally that can help Arab countries stop Turkey and Iran from spreading their contagion of terror in the Middle East....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:44 am

Viewpoint: Why Turkey is flexing its muscles abroad
By Gonul Tol
Center for Turkish Studies, MEI Published15 hours ago

Immediately after a long-simmering conflict in the South Caucasus burst into open warfare late last month, Turkey came to the aid of its Turkic allies in Azerbaijan. It has supplied arms and, allegedly, fighters transferred from Syria, although that has been denied in Ankara.

Unlike most outside powers that called for an immediate ceasefire, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev to fight on.

The Caucasus is only the latest venture for a more muscular Turkey, whose military engagements have stretched from Syria across the Mediterranean.

Where has Turkey become involved?
In the last few years, Turkey has:...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:27 am

One War and Six Losers
by Amir Taheri October 18, 2020 at 4:00 am

If Azerbaijan wins, a coalition of Turkey, Israel and the United States would end up in the winning camp while the Islamic Republic will be seen as indifferent to the aspirations of Azerbaijan, which is supposed to be the third largest Shiite nation after Iran and Iraq. If Armenia wins, the likely co-winners would include Russia and Israel, again leaving Iran isolated.... If Armenia loses, Tehran will get a bad mark from Moscow as a fickle friend.

This war may produce only losers. Azerbaijan is unlikely to succeed in regaining full control of the disputed enclave. Armenia has already lost some territory and faces a wave of refugees flowing into the capital Yerevan. Turkey may win a propaganda round as protector of Azeris but would be dragged into a fifth war which, its economy already under stress, it may not be able to sustain. Israel may have to come off the fence and choose one side by losing the other. Russia would lose by seeing militants find a niche so close to itself while being forced to abandon its claim of peacemaker among former Soviet republics. Tehran, too, will be a loser on both geopolitical and ideological grounds. Khamenei claims to be the supreme leader of Muslims throughout the world. Yet, we now see that he cannot even influence events on his doorstep....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:41 am

Turkey: The Dark Side of Religious Sects
by Burak Bekdil October 20, 2020 at 4:00 am

The school curriculum teaches boys that the female sex is inferior and second-class, while it teaches girls to be a slave to a man. — Professor Esergül Balcı, Report from Izmir September 9th University, September 5, 2020.

In 2010 a scandal in Siirt in southeast Turkey revealed serial rapes in this conservative little town, including cases of adults raping minors and minors raping toddlers, even killing one.... "This is a small town," the mayor said... "Almost everyone is related to everyone.".... No one was prosecuted.

When, in 1925, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of modern Turkey, banned all Islamic sects, dervishes, lodges and other religious cults dating from the Ottoman times, he publicly said, "The Turkish Republic cannot be a republic of sheiks, dervishes and their disciples. The only right sect is the sect of civilization." Almost a century after the birth of a modern nation, nevertheless, the Turkish Republic has indeed become a republic of sheiks, dervishes and their millions of disciples.

The findings of an academic from Izmir's September 9th University are worse than scary. The following is from Professor Esergül Balcı's alarming report:...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:06 am

Turkish president dares U.S. to impose economic sanctions
By ANDREW WILKS yesterday

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan challenged the United States to impose sanctions against his country while also launching a second personal attack Sunday on French President Emmanuel Macron.

Speaking a day after he suggested Macron needed mental health treatment because of his views on Islam and radical Muslims, Erdogan expanded his range to take aim at foreign critics.

“Whatever your sanctions are, don’t be late,” Erdogan said, referring to U.S. warnings for Turkey not to get directly involved in the conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh, where Ankara supports Azerbaijan against ethnic Armenian forces.

The Turkish leader also mentioned Washington’s threat of sanctions after Turkey tested the Russian-made S-400 air defense system. The purchase has already seen Turkey kicked off the F-35 stealth fighter program....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:36 am

Turkish lira sinks amid Erdogan fury with allies
Published2 hours ago

The Turkish lira has hit a record low of 8.15 against the dollar amid investor anxiety about the Turkish economy, hit by coronavirus and friction with Nato allies.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has riled France and the US among others.

Analysts attribute the weakening to concern about Turkish inflation - 11.7% last month - and the central bank's refusal to raise its key interest rate.

A rate rise could dampen inflation and encourage investors to buy lira.

President Erdogan's regional muscle-flexing - in Libya, Syria, around Cyprus and in the Caucasus - has disconcerted investors, market analysts say.

"The rising geopolitical tensions with the USA and EU are new sources of pressure weakening the lira," said a Turkish foreign exchange trader quoted by Reuters news agency....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:02 am

Turkish Bank Case Showed Erdogan’s Influence With Trump
New details of the Justice Department’s handling of the accusations against Halkbank reveal how Turkey’s leader pressured the president, prompting concern from top White House aides.

By Eric Lipton and Benjamin Weiser Oct. 29, 2020 Updated 8:28 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON — ​Geoffrey S. Berman was outraged.

The top federal prosecutor in Manhattan, Mr. Berman had traveled to Washington in June 2019 to discuss a particularly delicate case with Attorney General William P. Barr and some of his top aides: a criminal investigation into Halkbank, a state-owned Turkish bank suspected of violating U.S. sanctions law by funneling billions of dollars of gold and cash to Iran.

For months, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey had been pressing President Trump to quash the investigation, which threatened not only the bank but potentially members of Mr. Erdogan’s family and political party. When Mr. Berman sat down with Mr. Barr, he was stunned to be presented with a settlement proposal that would give Mr. Erdogan a key concession.

Mr. Barr pressed Mr. Berman to allow the bank to avoid an indictment by paying a fine and acknowledging some wrongdoing. In addition, the Justice Department would agree to end investigations and criminal cases involving Turkish and bank officials who were allied with Mr. Erdogan and suspected of participating in the sanctions-busting scheme.

Mr. Berman didn’t buy it.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:14 am

Why Is Turkey Suddenly Fighting With Everyone?
Erdogan’s quest to make Turkey great again has made some enemies.
By JOSHUA KEATING OCT 28, 20202:06 PM

How many battles can Turkey fight at once? One year ago, Turkey launched a military incursion into Northern Syria—with U.S. President Donald Trump’s blessing—to push Kurdish rebel forces away from its southern border. Earlier this month, Turkey’s parliament voted to renew the mandate for the mission for another year. Turkey has also intervened in Libya, sending military equipment, funding, and Syrian mercenaries to back the internationally recognized government in the country’s civil war. Turkey also sent Syrian fighters to back Azerbaijan—a majority-Turkic country—in its conflict with Armenia over the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh. On top of all this, Turkey is clashing with another historic rival, Greece, over potential gas resources in the Mediterranean, deploying warships to accompany a survey mission in Greek-claimed waters.

And there’s yet another conflict brewing. Turkey’s relations with Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, the Saudi kingdom’s ally, have been rocky since the Arab Spring, when the countries backed opposite sides in the Egyptian revolution, and have only gotten worse since the 2018 killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul (and the Turkish government’s subsequent use of the killing to inflict maximum diplomatic and public relations damage on the Saudis). Recently, more Saudi businesses have been pledging to boycott Turkish products. Turkey also recently threatened to suspend diplomatic ties with the UAE over the latter’s decision to recognize Israel, which is a little odd given that the Turkish government, despite its frequent and fierce criticism of Israel, has itself had diplomatic relations with the Jewish state for decades. One Saudi official recently told the Financial Times that tensions with Turkey are beginning to rival those with Iran. “If you look at the threat matrix in the region, Turkey has very quickly gone into a prominent spot—they are everywhere,” he said....

Continues

God bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:15 am

France, Turkey And The Charlie Hebdo Cartoons: What's Behind The Dispute?
October 28, 202012:50 PM ET
Peter Kenyon - ELEANOR BEARDSLEY

Tensions between Turkey and France are rising, as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan calls for a boycott on French good and slams French President Emmanuel Macron's call for a "French Islam."

The increased friction follows the beheading of a teacher in France after he showed his class caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad published by the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

Schoolteacher Samuel Paty was killed after a lesson on freedom of speech to his civics class involving the cartoons. In Macron's eulogy at Paty's funeral, he said France would never give up its liberties, or its cartoons.

"We will continue, professor. We will defend the freedom that you taught so well and we will promote secularism, we will not renounce caricatures, drawings, even if others retreat," Macron said earlier this month. "We will continue the fight for freedom and the freedom of which you are now the face."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:45 am

The Real Enemy of Islam
by Khaled Abu Toameh
November 3, 2020 at 5:00 am

"The beheading of the French history teacher proves that political Islam has become a real threat to world peace in light of its expansionist tendency, which is currently embodied by Erdogan's project, which not only targets the societies of Muslim countries, but also other societies that incubate important Islamic communities." — Al-Habib Al-Aswad, Tunisian journalist, Al-Arab, October 28, 2020.

He wants to represent himself as a defender of Islam. Which Islam does he speak for? Erdogan has committed crimes in Libya, Syria and all Arab countries. He is the one who is offending Islam." — Mustafa Bakri, Egyptian media personality, Al-Dostor Studio, October 30, 2020.

The reactions of many Arabs and Muslims show that they view Erdogan as a more serious threat to Islam than Macron or others in the West....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:47 am

Turkey Glorifies Historic Crimes
by Uzay Bulut
November 3, 2020 at 4:00 am

"In our civilization, conquest is not occupation or looting. It is establishing the dominance of the justice that Allah commanded in the [conquered] region.... This is why our civilization is one of conquest." — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, MEMRI.org, August 26, 2020.

"Turkey will take what is its right in the Mediterranean Sea, in the Aegean Sea, and in the Black Sea.... This is why we are determined to do whatever is necessary politically, economically, or militarily. We invite our interlocutors to put themselves in order and stay away from mistakes that will open the way for them to be destroyed." — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, MEMRI.org, August 26, 2020.

"The most savage treatment was always reserved for those visibly proclaiming their Christianity: clergy and monks 'were burned to death, while others were flayed alive from head to toe.'" — Raymond Ibrahim, historian, Frontpage Magazine, August 7, 2019.

In 2018, the Speaker of Turkey's parliament, İsmail Kahraman, described Turkey's military offensive against northern Syria as "jihad." "Without jihad," he added, "there will be no progress." During the same offensive, Turkey's Directorate of Religious Affairs (Diyanet) also called for "jihad" and declared in a weekly sermon that "armed struggle is the highest level of jihad."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:58 am

France to ban Turkish ultra-nationalist Grey Wolves
Stuart WILLIAMS, AFP• November 2, 2020

France plans to ban a Turkish ultra-nationalist group known as the Grey Wolves, the interior minister said Monday, in a move that risks further straining already tense relations with Ankara.

The dissolution was announced after a memorial centre to mass killings of Armenians during World War I was defaced with graffiti including the name of the Grey Wolves at the weekend.

The move to ban the Grey Wolves -- seen as a wing of a party allied to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan -- will be put to the French cabinet on Wednesday, Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin told a parliamentary committee.

"To put it mildly, we are talking about a particularly aggressive group," Darmanin said....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:31 am

Erdoğan's Jihad on "Infidel Europe"
by Burak Bekdil
November 7, 2020 at 5:00 am

Middle Eastern politics is always a trap for radical ideologues. In Erdoğan's mindset the "infidel West" is militarily helping Armenia (the evil) and Turkey is militarily helping Azerbaijan (the righteous).

Although Ankara and Baku categorically deny accusations, press reports and independent human rights observers have confirmed the arrival of hundreds of jihadists in Azerbaijan to fight Armenia.

After the Turkish military's direct armed engagement on Iraqi and Syrian territories, proxy wars in Syria, Libya and Yemen, military tensions on the Aegean and Mediterranean seas, Erdoğan's new jihadist adventurism has found a new theater of war in the Caucasus. What's next?...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:34 am

Turkey: The Return of Demons
by Amir Taheri
November 8, 2020 at 4:00 am

Though Empire-builders of the first order, the Ottomans were always careful not to bite more than they could chew. Erdogan, however, is leading Turkey into empire-building adventures which it does not want and cannot afford.

It has... launched a war of words with the European Union as a whole. Ostensibly, Turkey's beef is about old maritime demarcation lines that deny it the right to tap underwater oil and gas resources. What Erdogan does not realize is that the potential market for those resources is the very European Union he is now casting as enemy. In any case, the disputed resources cannot be tapped without massive investment from the West, not to mention the technology needed.

By promoting a strategic break with Europe, Erdogan is leading Turkey into the unknown, with demons whispering in his ears.

"Our past was in Asia but our future is in Europe!" This was how Mesut Yilmaz portrayed his vision for Turkey in a panel debate in Davos in the 1990s....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:50 am

How will a Biden presidency affect Turkey?
Getting ‘tough on Turkey’ is a way for Biden to break with Trump’s respect for authoritarian leaders, analysts say.
By Sami Kent 8 Nov 2020

Istanbul, Turkey – Just a couple of weeks before president-elect Joe Biden’s victory in the US election, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was giving a party rally of his own in southeast Turkey, delivering a defiant message to the United States.

“You don’t know who you’re dealing with,” said Erdogan to his NATO ally.

“Impose your sanctions already, whatever they may be,” he added, referring to US threats over Turkey’s purchase of a controversial Russian missile system.

The comments were perhaps also directed at Biden. As one senior Turkish government official told Al Jazeera on condition of anonymity: “People here are not overwhelmed with the prospect [of a Biden presidency]”....

Snip... As the senior Turkish official argued, “Biden would be advised to wake up every morning and look at the map and see where Turkey is located.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:17 am

Erdogan rhetorical shift sparks rally in embattled Turkish lira
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan unveiled a new economic growth strategy that could herald a shift back to more orthodox policies. 11 Nov 2020

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan pledged a new economic growth strategy on Wednesday based on stability, lower inflation and international investment, an abrupt shift in rhetorical gears that sparked a rally of up to 4 percent by the lira.

Erdogan – who in the past has scapegoated foreign investors for Turkey’s economic woes and repeatedly called for lower interest rates – said the strategy would be built on price, monetary and financial stability.

Turkey needs to rebuild both depleted foreign reserves and faith in the beleaguered currency, he said, seeking to burnish Turkey’s free-market credibility after its currency dropped to a series of record lows in recent months.

The speech to ruling AK Party lawmakers came days after a surprise leadership overhaul in which the head of the central bank was removed and the finance minister, Erdogan’s son-in-law, stepped down with little immediate explanation.

The comments, including Erdogan’s pledge to personally tell international investors about opportunities in Turkey, could mark a shift from a more combative tone since 2018 that in part blamed foreigners for a halving in the value of the lira.

“We are building a growth structure which creates qualified employment, which does not cause inflation and a current account deficit,” he said. “We will not refrain from implementing the correct recipe, even if it’s bitter.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:25 am

Pompeo Stirs Turkey Furor Over Trip Without a Visit to Erdogan
By Nick Wadhams and Selcan Hacaoglu November 13, 2020, 9:50 AM PST

Secretary of State Michael Pompeo won’t meet with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan or other government leaders when he visits Turkey next week, a highly unusual situation that U.S. officials chalked up to scheduling conflicts and Turkish officials considered an insult.

U.S. officials briefing reporters Friday on Pompeo’s 10-day, seven-nation trip said he wants to concentrate on issues of religious liberty. He plans to meet in Istanbul with religious figures including Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholowew I, the Greek Orthodox Christian leader, but isn’t traveling to the capital, Ankara.

Turkey’s Foreign Ministry labeled Pompeo’s planned meetings as “extremely inappropriate” interference, defending the nation’s record on religious freedom despite Erdogan’s actions in elevating the role of mosques and Islamic worship.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:52 am

Cyprus
Erdoğan met by protests from Turkish Cypriots during visit
‘Provocative’ trip to northern Cyprus angers residents as well as the south and Greece Sun 15 Nov 2020 12.17 EST

Turkey’s president has been greeted with protests from Turkish Cypriots denouncing Ankara’s overt meddling in their domestic affairs as he visited northern Cyprus.

In a rare display of opposition for a leader whose tolerance for critics is notoriously low, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan was met by demonstrators as he flew into the territory for celebrations marking its unilateral declaration of independence 37 years ago.

Ignoring police attempts to ban the protests, many demonstrators expressed dismay over Erdoğan’s decision to use the occasion to enjoy a picnic in the controversially reopened beach resort of Varosha, holding banners that said: “No picnic over pain”. The resort visit has been widely condemned for violating UN resolutions aimed at reuniting the war-torn island.

“It’s now or never. We have to raise our voice in open defiance” Sener Elcil, a prominent trade unionist, told the Guardian. Speaking in the UN-patrolled buffer zone dividing Cyprus, he added: “Turkish Cypriots will become extinct if our country isn’t reunited … Erdoğan is a loose cannon, he can do anything.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:54 am

Turkish investors buy up dollars during record lira rally
Nov 17 2020 10:27 Last Updated On: Nov 17 2020 10:35

Many Turkish companies and individuals bought foreign currency last week even as the lira registered its biggest weekly gain in almost two decades, Bloomberg reported, citing currency traders it did not identify.

Demand for dollars barely grew as the lira surged by more than 10 percent against the dollar, demonstrating that the increase did little to restore faith in the currency among many Turks, Bloomberg said.

“Local retail investors were unwilling to sell their hard-currency deposits,” said Onur Ilgen, head of treasury at MUFG Bank in Turkey. “On the contrary, they were gradually buying the U.S. dollar after the pair broke through the 8 handle.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:01 am

Caucasus: Clash of Imperial Dreams
by Amir Taheri November 22, 2020 at 4:00 am

To start with, the mini-victory he [Erdogan] has won against Armenia may have whetted Erdogan's appetite for further conquests. Pro-Erdogan papers in Turkey are beating the drums about "victory in the Caucasus" as the first time, since the end of the Ottoman Empire, that Turks have managed to "liberate" a chunk of Islamdom from "infidel" rule.

Worse still for Putin, Erdogan has already indicated he wants to involve his Foreign Legion of Jihadis in protecting "Muslim lands".

By mixing his Muslim Brotherhood jihadism with pan-Turkic themes that recall Enver Pasha, Erdogan hopes to replace the Ataturk narrative with a new narrative of religious nationalism.

It is no accident that he is also sharpening his anti-West rhetoric and tightening ties with the Grey Wolves, a pan-Turkish outfit banned by the European Union as a "terrorist organization." The "Grey Wolves" dream of a Turkic empire stretching from the Balkans to Central Asia....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:07 am

Erdogan says Turkey sees itself a part of Europe
Sun, November 22, 2020, 4:01 AM PST·

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday that his country, an official candidate for European Union membership, sees itself as an inseparable part of Europe but will not give in to attacks and double standards.

"We see ourselves as an inseparable part of Europe...However this does not mean that we will bow down to overt attacks to our country and nation, veiled injustices and double standards," Erdogan said in a speech to the members of its AK Party.

Turkey's drilling activities in a disputed part of the eastern Mediterranean have raised tensions with the EU as Turkey locked in a dispute with and Greece and Cyprus over the extent of their continental shelves and hydrocarbon resources....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:12 am

Turkish lira weakens to pre-rate hike levels
Ahval Nov 23 2020 12:01 Gmt+3 Last Updated On: Nov 23 2020 12:01 Gmt+3

The Turkish lira fell, erasing the gains it made after a central bank rate hike last week.

The lira dropped by 2 percent to 7.7862 per dollar in Istanbul, declining for the second day.

Turkey’s central bank increased its benchmark interest rate by 4.75 percentage points to 15 percent on Thursday, matching the expectations of economists. Monetary policymakers said they would only lend to banks via that single rate going forward, abandoning a so-called interest rate corridor.

The Turkish central bank hiked rates after the lira slumped to a record low of 8.58 per dollar earlier this month, prompting President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to sack the bank’s governor and replace him with former finance minister Naci Ağbal. The lira has lost almost 25 percent of its value this year....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Previous

Return to Prophecy Debate Area