Turkey : Part Four

(heavily moderated)

Re: Turkey : Part Four

Postby Jay Ross on Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Seeker wrote:Hi David,

. . . . .

Thanks for bringing up the water flow in the Euphrates. That will be straight off the pages of scripture when it happens and has been seemingly impossible until the modern era.

Rev 16:12  And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared. 

It depends on whether you take this verse literally or metaphorically. Is the reference to the Euphrates River a reference to the river or a reference to the Baal Religion?

It is my understanding that this is a metaphorical reference which indicates that the Baal religion will be reduced to the point where the three kings, i.e. Satan, the False Prophet and the Beast, where tradition has it that their abode on the earth is to the east of the Euphrates River, will be then able to establish a new religion in that region to go up against God's saints.

Seeker wrote:Rev 16:13  And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. 
Rev 16:14  For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. 

It is my understanding that we have seen the three unclean spirits like frogs, go forth to the whole world to begin the process of drawing all of the nations towards the Armageddon event. The start of this process began on 9-11-2001 and the drawing process of the nations to go up against Jerusalem at the end of the 2,300 years of the nations trampling God's sanctuary and his holy people. The Armageddon event is God's timing of when he will punish the nations for their against God and the nation of Israel.

Seeker wrote:Rev 16:15  Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame. 
Rev 16:16  And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon. 

It is my belief that we need to understand the messages that are being given in the scriptures and when they will occur.

Shalom
Jay Ross

Postby Seeker on Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi Jay,

It depends on whether you take this verse literally or metaphorically. Is the reference to the Euphrates River a reference to the river or a reference to the Baal Religion?

Well since the first arrival of Jesus prophecy verses were fulfilled literally, I will go with that but you are welcome to interpret however you wish. I am sure they thought the Virgin birth could never be fulfilled literally.

Peace,
Seeker
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Seeker

Postby Jay Ross on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Seeker wrote:Hi Jay,

Well since the first arrival of Jesus prophecy verses were fulfilled literally, I will go with that but you are welcome to interpret however you wish. I am sure they thought the Virgin birth could never be fulfilled literally.

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

You are right in that there is a lot of speculation with Biblical interpretation of the Prophecies found in the Bible. I note that that there are OT prophecies that require metaphorical interpretation but commentaries, I have read, dealing with the OT Prophecies have tended to provide "literal" interpretations and understandings, and even with that said, I have noted where the commentators have also missed the understanding that they should have for the respective prophecies, on a literal interpretation basis.

I also agree that many of the prophecies concerning Jesus were literally fulfilled during His time on the earth during the first advent.

We must be able to discern when a prophecy is literal or metaphorical to reach the right conclusion as to the message that is being conveyed in the prophecy.

We, including myself, all need to keep an open mind with respect to our understanding of the end times and be prepared to accept when our understanding is wrong, but that will only come about in most cases with 20/20 hind sight.

Shalom

Shalom
Jay Ross

Postby Seeker on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:17 pm

We, including myself, all need to keep an open mind with respect to our understanding of the end times and be prepared to accept when our understanding is wrong, but that will only come about in most cases with 20/20 hind sight.

I agree but we won't know about this one until very near Armageddon. The more eyes looking different directions increases our overall chances of being accurate.

Peace,
Seeker
Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Seeker

Postby Jay Ross on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Seeker wrote:

I agree but we won't know about this one until very near Armageddon. The more eyes looking different directions increases our overall chances of being accurate.

Peace,
Seeker

The question is, "How close are we the time of the nations gathering at Armageddon?"

My take is that this is a near future event and that we have started to see the fulfilment of the Rev 16:12-16 during our lifetime.

Shalom
Jay Ross

Postby Seeker on Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:52 pm

The question is, "How close are we the time of the nations gathering at Armageddon?"

That's precisely why we are looking at the nations mentioned in this thread. As far as timing goes about every generation since Christ has felt they will see the end times so I don't venture into timing.

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:01 am

Libya deal: UN-recognised gov't accepts Turkey's military deal
Dec 19, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dYPZeFhk-s

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:09 am

LIBYA'S UN-BACKED GOVERNMENT ASKS FOR TURKEY MILITARY SUPPORT AS RIVAL LEADER ATTACKS CAPITAL
BY TOM O'CONNOR ON 12/19/19 AT 10:45 AM EST

Libya's U.N.-backed government has officially approved Turkish intervention against a powerful military leader attempting to take the capital reportedly with the help of foreign forces.

Turkey last month signed a memorandum of understanding offering to send troops to back the embattled Government of National Accord as the rival forces of Libyan National Army leader Field Marshall Khalifa Haftar laid siege to Tripoli. Following an emergency gathering, the Council of Ministers "unanimously agreed" to accept the offer "for security and military cooperation" between the GNA and Turkey, according to the GNA.

Stations such as the Qatar-based Al-Ahrar TV and Al Jazeera outlets as well as Saudi Arabia's Al Arabiya first reported the news, citing sources within the GNA.

The move could prove a major turn in the ongoing conflict in the North African nation. Haftar, who returned from exile in the United States to play a role in Libya's NATO-backed 2011 insurrection and then again to assert his role in the country, has also received degrees of Arab backing from Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, and from Russian private military fighters, as well....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:12 pm

Whoa that was quick, Nice find David.

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:42 am

DECEMBER 20, 2019 / 4:44 AM / A DAY AGO
Erdogan says Turkey won't be silent over mercenaries in Libya

MOSCOW/ANKARA (Reuters) - President Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday that Turkey will not stay silent over Russian-backed mercenaries supporting Khalifa Haftar in Libya, as Moscow voiced concerns over possible Turkish military deployment to Libya in support of Haftar’s enemies.

Turkey has backed Libya’s internationally recognized government led by Fayez al-Serraj and the two sides signed a security agreement last month which could deepen military cooperation between them.

Turkey has already sent military supplies to Libya in violation of a United Nations arms embargo, according a report by U.N. experts seen by Reuters last month. It said Serraj’s Government of National Accord (GNA) asked Turkey for help after Haftar received support from Jordan and the United Arab Emirates....

Snip... “Through the group named Wagner, they are literally working as Haftar’s mercenaries in Libya. You know who is paying them,” Erdogan was quoted by broadcaster NTV as saying on a flight back from Malaysia....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:04 am

Seeker wrote:Whoa that was quick, Nice find David.

Peace,
Seeker

Dan 11:43

But he shall have power over the treasures of gold and of silver, and over all the precious things of Egypt: and the Libyans and the Ethiopians shall be at his steps.

I have to wonder how this verse fits into our times.

God Bless You'

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 am

Hi David,

Dan 11:43

But he shall have power over the treasures of gold and of silver, and over all the precious things of Egypt: and the Libyans and the Ethiopians shall be at his steps.

I have to wonder how this verse fits into our times.

Dan 11:40  And at the time of the end shall the king of the south push at him: and the king of the north shall come against him like a whirlwind, with chariots, and with horsemen, and with many ships; and he shall enter into the countries, and shall overflow and pass over. 
Dan 11:41  He shall enter also into the glorious land, and many countries shall be overthrown: but these shall escape out of his hand, even Edom, and Moab, and the chief of the children of Ammon. 
Dan 11:42  He shall stretch forth his hand also upon the countries: and the land of Egypt shall not escape. 
Dan 11:43  But he shall have power over the treasures of gold and of silver, and over all the precious things of Egypt: and the Libyans and the Ethiopians shall be at his steps. 

At this stage the context suggests we are at the time of the end when these verses are fulfilled. The king of the south (Egypt) pushes at him (king of the north). Edom, Moab, Ammon (Jordan) escape his hand. He attacks countries and Egypt will not escape which we see in the verse you referenced. It appears to me to be all out war in the middle east at this point in scripture. Seeing part of the possible alliance with Libya forming could indicate we are not far from this middle east conflict. Or they could be aligned for centuries before any of Dan 11:40 begins to come to pass. We need Ethiopia as well it appears from scripture. Perhaps that is near.....

2020 to be Africa year for Turkey, says trade minister
Turkey should play proactive role in target markets, countries with potential, urges Ruhsar Pekcan
Gokhan Ergocun

....."When we unveiled our Export Master Plan, we chose five targeted sectors and 17 countries which included Ethiopia, Morocco, Kenya, and South Africa," she said.

Pekcan also stated that Turkey should establish trade and logistic centers in the African continent.".....

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/economy/2020-t ... er/1668261

This could be the start of the Ethiopian section of the scripture perhaps. Things certainly appear to be lining up. Turkey's actions that appear to be pulling the old Ottoman Empire back together should be monitored very closely as well.

Rev 17:10  And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space. 
Rev 17:11  And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

Rome was the "one is", Other not yet come was the Ottoman Empire, and the 8th the Neo Ottoman Empire which is of the 7. So I basically expect Turkey to try and re-establish the old Ottoman Empire. That is likely why we see the king of the north fighting in most of the middle east in scripture. The recent Turkish military engagements definitely gets my attention. Perhaps we could be in the beginning phases of the AC adventures in the middle east. Continued military movements by Turkey within the middle east is what I am looking for next. At some point Damascus gets destroyed and we know that the AC conquers various cities in Syria prior to the Israel invasion. Since Turkey is in Syria currently it bears very close watching and is our sun dial at the moment I would say.

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:24 am

Seeker wrote:Pekcan also stated that Turkey should establish trade and logistic centers in the African continent.".....

Logistic centers, meaning center for distribution of weapons I presume.

This could be the start of the Ethiopian section of the scripture perhaps. Things certainly appear to be lining up. Turkey's actions that appear to be pulling the old Ottoman Empire back together should be monitored very closely as well.

Agreed. Turkey is already in Ethiopia, who is building a dam on the Nile. Potential for major fight over water there.

Rev 17:10  And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space. 
Rev 17:11  And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

Rome was the "one is", Other not yet come was the Ottoman Empire, and the 8th the Neo Ottoman Empire which is of the 7. So I basically expect Turkey to try and re-establish the old Ottoman Empire.

That's been Erdogans dream for ... well ... Since he entered politics a couple decades ago. Democracy is a bus he is riding, when it stops, he steps off, and into perdition. My opinion too.

God Bless You'

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:46 am

Muslims urged to boycott Chinese products over Uighur 'abuses'
At summit in Malaysia, influential preacher says leaders from Muslim world should exert more pressure on Beijing.
by Ted Regencia 20 Dec 2019

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Muslim countries should initiate a boycott of Chinese products, an influential Malaysian preacher has said, calling for an end to the detention of ethnic Uighurs, at least a million of whom are reportedly held against their will in China's Xinjiang province.

Mohd Asri bin Zainul Abidin, the top Islamic jurist in Malaysia's Perlis state, said political and religious leaders from the Muslim world should exert more economic and diplomatic pressure on Beijing for its treatment and alleged human rights abuse of the minority Muslim group living in its westernmost province.

We need to go to the extent of boycotting China's products. They know the strength of our purchasing power," Mohd Asri told Al Jazeera on the sidelines of a summit of Muslim-majority countries in the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur....

Continues

**** And who was just at the conference in Malaysia ? Oh yeah, Pres Erdogan. He stands up for muslims worldwide, and is known for that... D. ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:58 am

Syria war: Turkey can't handle new 'refugee wave', says Erdogan
23 December 2019

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has warned that his country cannot handle a "new refugee wave" from Syria.

Tens of thousands of people have fled towards the Turkish border amid increased bombardment of the rebel-held Idlib province in north-west Syria.

Turkey already hosts some 3.7 million Syrian refugees - the largest refugee population in the world.

Mr Erdogan warned that a new influx would be "felt by all European countries".

Up to three million people live in Idlib province, the last major region in Syria still held by rebel fighters and jihadists opposed to President Bashar al-Assad....

Snip... "The negative effects of this pressure on us will be an issue felt by all European countries, especially Greece," he added....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:05 am

Erdogan: Turkey will increase military support to GNA if needed
Turkish president's announcement comes after Khalifa Haftar's naval forces tow ship with Turkish crew off Libya's coast.
19 hours ago

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that Turkey will increase its military support to the internationally recognised government of Libya if necessary, a day after the Turkish parliament ratified a security and military cooperation deal signed between Ankara and Tripoli last month.

"We will evaluate all kinds of military support including ground, marine and air options if necessary," Erdogan said during a speech on Sunday in the northwestern province of Kocaeli.

Turkey backs Fayez al-Serraj's Government of National Accord (GNA) in Libya, which has been torn by factional conflict since 2011, and has already sent military supplies to the GNA despite a United Nations arms embargo, according to a report by UN experts seen by Reuters last month....

Snip... Erdogan also said Turkey had recently provided "very serious" support to the GNA, adding Libya was a country Turkey would support "with its life"....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:33 am

Turkey in talks with Russia as thousands flee bombing in Syria
Turkey-based Humanitarian Relief Foundation says as of Monday 120,000 Syrians have fled towards the Turkish border.
12 hours ago

A Turkish delegation was in Russia on Monday for talks on Syria, following reports that Russian-backed attacks there were forcing tens of thousands more Syrians to flee towards Turkey.

This developed as a car bombing in northern Syria, near the border with Turkey, killed at least eight civilians, including a woman and a child.

Turkey already hosts at least 3.7 million Syrians - the world's biggest refugee population.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday it could not handle a new influx and was urging Russia to stop the attacks in Syria's northwestern Idlib province....

Continues

God Bless and Merry Christmas

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:34 am

DECEMBER 25, 2019 / 6:41 AM / UPDATED A DAY AGO
Turkey-Libya maritime deal rattles East Mediterranean
Luke Baker, Tuvan Gumrukcu, Michele Kambas

LONDON/ANKARA/ATHENS (Reuters) - Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan paid a surprise visit to Tunisia on Wednesday to discuss cooperation for a possible ceasefire in neighboring Libya, where Ankara supports the internationally recognized government.

The visit comes after Turkey signed an accord with Libya’s internationally recognized government last month that seeks to create an exclusive economic zone from Turkey’s southern Mediterranean shore to Libya’s northeast coast.

Ankara says the deal aims to protect its rights under international law, and that it is open to signing similar deals with other states on the basis of “fair sharing” of resources.

Greece and Cyprus, which have long had maritime and territorial disputes with Turkey, say the accord is void and violates the international law of the sea. They see it as a cynical resource-grab designed to scupper the development of East Mediterranean gas and destabilize rivals....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:45 am

Erdogan announces plan to send troops to Libya
Dec 26, 2019

Erdogan says Turkey and Tunisia agree to support Libya's internationally recognised government of Fayez al-Serraj.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has announced military backing for Libya's internationally recognised government, now that the north African country requested it.

Erdogan said on Thursday that he will present deployment legislation to the Turkish parliament in January.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2e6zQ97_5I

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:34 am

Libya's Political Instability Makes Room for ISIS to Regroup
by Ahmed Charai December 27, 2019 at 7:30 am

Turkey, which signed a military and economic accord with the Libyan government in November, could deprive Greece and the Greek Cypriots of large swaths of their oil and gas exploration areas and force Egypt and Israel to negotiate with Turkey over the construction of natural gas pipelines to Europe.

The threat posed by extremists in Libya and Tunisia is not one that Europeans can ignore, as evidenced by the attack on British tourists in Sousse and the more recent attack by Tunisian Anis Amri in Berlin.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan opened the way on December 26 for direct military intervention in Libya: he announced a parliamentary vote in early January on sending troops to support the UN-backed Tripoli government against General Khalifa Haftar. Instructors, equipment and Turkish special forces are already operating in Libya alongside pro-government militias. Erdogan said that Turkey would also be willing to send aerial and naval assistance if circumstances require it....

Snip... The map of foreign intervention in Libya is important: In the east of the country, forces from Saudi Arabia and Egypt support Gen. Haftar, the separatist who heads the Libyan National Army -- not the country's national army. Arrayed against them are Turkey and Qatar, supporting the recognized government headed by Fayez al-Sarraj, but his government is not supported by the legislature. Then there is Russia. It has dispatched militia forces known as the Wagner Group, which have already carried out operations in Syria, are also operating in several African countries -- supporting and assisting Haftar's forces. France has joined the group of countries that support the rebel general, while Italy backs Sarraj's recognized government....

Continues

God BLess

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Seeker on Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:37 am

Snip... The map of foreign intervention in Libya is important: In the east of the country, forces from Saudi Arabia and Egypt support Gen. Haftar, the separatist who heads the Libyan National Army -- not the country's national army. Arrayed against them are Turkey and Qatar, supporting the recognized government headed by Fayez al-Sarraj, but his government is not supported by the legislature. Then there is Russia. It has dispatched militia forces known as the Wagner Group, which have already carried out operations in Syria, are also operating in several African countries -- supporting and assisting Haftar's forces. France has joined the group of countries that support the rebel general, while Italy backs Sarraj's recognized government....

Eze 38:13  Sheba, and Dedan, and the merchants of Tarshish, with all the young lions thereof, shall say unto thee, Art thou come to take a spoil? hast thou gathered thy company to take a prey? to carry away silver and gold, to take away cattle and goods, to take a great spoil?

Dan 11:30  For the ships of Chittim shall come against him: therefore he shall be grieved, and return, and have indignation against the holy covenant: so shall he do; he shall even return, and have intelligence with them that forsake the holy covenant. 

Dan 11:41  He shall enter also into the glorious land, and many countries shall be overthrown: but these shall escape out of his hand, even Edom, and Moab, and the chief of the children of Ammon. 
Dan 11:42  He shall stretch forth his hand also upon the countries: and the land of Egypt shall not escape. 
Dan 11:43  But he shall have power over the treasures of gold and of silver, and over all the precious things of Egypt: and the Libyans and the Ethiopians shall be at his steps.

Nice article David the gang's all there. Sheba=Ethiopia...Dedan=Saudi Arabia...Chttim=Cyprus...Egypt...just need Iran and few others in the mix officially.

Interesting site about ancient Dedan

http://www.saudiarabiatourismguide.com/dedan/

Peace,
Seeker

Seeker

Postby Exit40 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:54 am

Seeker wrote:Nice article David the gang's all there. Sheba=Ethiopia...Dedan=Saudi Arabia...Chttim=Cyprus...Egypt...just need Iran and few others in the mix officially.

Well the others are there, just not reported in this context yet. Iran ( Persia ), Russia, and China are having military drills with Syria, where I'm not sure but think it's probably in the eastern Med and inland Syria. Russia and China I believe will the the troublesome ones who are from the far north and east, causing the AC great fury.

Dan 11:44 But tidings out of the east and out of the north shall trouble him: therefore he shall go forth with great fury to destroy, and utterly to make away many.

Russia and China have no love of islam, tolerate it only for the political and economic gains they seek in the ME. When their support wanes because of economic damage caused they will step up their resistance.

God Bless You

David

ETA: China, Russia and Iran began a four-day joint military exercise in the Indian Ocean and Gulf of Oman on Friday amid ongoing friction in the economically important region between Tehran and Washington. From a headline on CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/27/asia/chi ... index.html

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:38 am

Protesters in Turkey denounce Russia over Idlib assault
Hundreds of Syrian and Turkish protesters hold anti-Russia demonstration against bombardment of northwest Syria.
17 hours ago

Hundreds of demonstrators gathered near the Russian consulate in the Turkish city of Istanbul on Saturday to protest the intensifying Russian and Syrian government attacks on Syria's last rebel-held province of Idlib.

The demonstrators, mostly Syrians living in Turkey, gathered close to the Russian consulate in downtown Istanbul to "show the world that Russia is complicit" in the killing of civilians in Syria's northern Idlib region, according to Mohammed Kreimesh, a protest organiser.

"We wanted to also highlight the regime's brutality against civilians and shed light on the humanitarian situation unfolding in Idlib," Kreimesh told Al Jazeera....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:43 am

Turkey's Gunboat Gambit in the Mediterranean
by Burak Bekdil December 30, 2019 at 4:00 am

Erdoğan seems to think that his best defense in the Mediterranean power game is an offense.

One emerging power in Libya, however, is not a Western state actor.... Russia has the potential to step into the Libyan theater with a bigger proxy and direct force, to establish its second permanent Mediterranean military presence.

Also as in Syria, Turkey's Islamist agenda will probably fail in Libya, but by the time Erdoğan understands that, it might be too late to get out of Moscow's orbit.

Turkey, since 2011, has been waging a pro-Sunni proxy war in Syria, in the hope of one day establishing in Damascus a pro-Turkey, Islamist regime. This ambition has failed, costing President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's Turkey violent political turmoil on both sides of Turkey's 911-km border with Syria and billions of dollars spent on more than 4 million Syrian refugees scattered across the Turkish soil....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:01 am

DECEMBER 29, 2019 / 12:20 AM / A DAY AGO
Turkey speeds up Libya troop deployment deal to prevent slide into 'chaos'
3 MIN READ

ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkey’s foreign minister warned that the Libyan conflict risks sliding into chaos and becoming the next Syria, as he sought to speed up legislation to allow it to send troops to the North African country.

Libya’s internationally recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli has been struggling to fend off General Khalifa Haftar’s forces, which have been supported by Russia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Jordan.

“If today Libya becomes like Syria, then the turn will come for the other countries in the region,” Turkey’s Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Saturday at a meeting of the governing AK Party....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:41 am

Amid Turkey deployment bid, France, Egypt urge restraint in Libya
Warning from countries which back Haftar comes as Ankara prepares to send troops to support UN-recognised government.
22 hours ago

France and Egypt, which back forces loyal to a renegade military commander in Libya, have called for "the greatest restraint" by Libyan and international authorities to avoid escalating the conflict there, according to French President Emmanuel Macron's office.

Macron held talks late on Sunday with his Egyptian counterpart Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, his office said on Monday, in which both agreed that warring Libyan powers need to negotiate a political solution under the auspices of the United Nations.

The warning came as the Turkish government prepared to submit a motion to parliament later on Monday allowing the deployment of Turkish forces to the conflict-torn country. A vote could take place as early as Thursday....

Continues

God Bless, and Happy New Year !

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:21 am

Dec. 31, 2019 Turkey Makes Its Move
By George Friedman

In “The Next 100 Years,” I described Turkey as an emerging regional power that would over time extend its sphere of influence to resemble the range of the Ottoman Empire. Over the past decade, in spite of pressure from various directions, it has refrained from taking risks to assert itself. This changed significantly in recent weeks, signaling what is, in my opinion, the inevitable emergence of Turkish power.

The shift came in two steps. First, Turkey announced that it had expanded its exclusive economic zone in the Eastern Mediterranean in collaboration with Libya’s Government of National Accord. Second, Turkey announced that it was building six new submarines. The construction of new submarines is not of immediate significance, nor is Turkey’s relationship with Libya, whose cooperation it needed to extend its EEZ. But together, these moves indicate a change in Turkish posture.

A Significant Gesture
Notionally, the agreement with Libya creates an economic zone that divides the Mediterranean to the east and challenges Greek Cypriot influence. At first glance, this appeared to be simply a gesture, even if a significant one. An economic zone does not define military spheres of influence. It simply denotes an area of economic domination, and Libya’s agreement to reconfigure Turkey’s EEZ, in the midst of an ongoing civil war, doesn’t mean much. Turkey’s move was perplexing but not necessarily significant....

Snip... , but Turkey has declared that it has become a regional power, and its actions are driving the reactions. That itself is important....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:28 am

Greece, Israel, Cyprus sign gas pipeline deal, angering Turkey
Accord creates new tensions between Greece and Turkey as Ankara says EastMed project cannot proceed without its consent.
23 hours ago

The leaders of Greece, Israel and Cyprus met in Athens on Thursday to sign a deal for an undersea pipeline that would carry gas from new offshore deposits in the southeastern Mediterranean to continental Europe - a move that has riled Turkey.

The 2,000-km (1,243-mile) EastMed pipeline is intended to provide an alternative gas source for energy-hungry Europe, which is currently largely dependent on supplies from Russia and the Caucasus region....

More:
Are Turkey and Greece closer to an armed conflict?
Turkish drone lands on northern Cyprus for energy exploration
Erdogan: Turkey, Libya could conduct exploration in Mediterranean...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:51 am

Turkey: Turning on Washington to Benefit Moscow
by Stephen Blank and Peter Huessy January 8, 2020 at 4:30 am

"Turkey and [Libya's] Government of National Accord reached an unusual agreement to essentially carve up much of the energy-rich eastern Mediterranean between them — threatening to cut out Greece and Cyprus from the coming bonanza." — Foreign Policy, Keith Johnson, December 23, 2019.

Turkey's confrontations with the US and NATO, of which it is a member, have served Russia well, giving Putin huge returns on a relatively small investment -- returns that are likely to grow in 2020.

Turkey's often seeming contradictory relations with the United States and Russia -- such as, for instance, Ankara's boosting of cooperation with Ukraine, on the one hand, and defending the Libyan government against General Khalifa Haftar's insurgency on the other -- likely stem from President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's apparent drive to become a leading regional and global power.

To this end, Erdoğan has steadily constructed a repressive authoritarian regime resembling that of Russian President Vladimir Putin. However, as the March 31, 2019 municipal elections in Istanbul demonstrated, Erdoğan's domestic base, including within his own Justice and Development Party has narrowed in favor of the Turkish nationalist right....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:05 am

JANUARY 8, 2020 / 8:06 AM / UPDATED 20 HOURS AGO
EU pushes Libya's PM Serraj for ceasefire, warns on Turkey deal
Robin Emmott, Philip Blenkinsop

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - European leaders warned Libya’s internationally recognized prime minister on Wednesday against allowing Turkish troops on Libyan soil or agreeing to a natural gas deal with Turkey to avoid worsening the latest turmoil in the country.

A day after British, French, German and Italian foreign ministers condemned Turkish plans to send military personnel to Tripoli, Fayez al-Serraj made a brief trip to Brussels to meet EU officials and Germany’s foreign minister, after plans to meet in Tripoli on Tuesday were judged too dangerous.

The European Union, seeking to avoid being sidelined as foreign powers jostle for influence and gas resources in Libya, pressed Serraj to work for a ceasefire as fighting between rival eastern and western administrations intensifies.

The stakes are high - lawlessness in Libya has in recent years disrupted the OPEC member’s oil output, fueled migrant smuggling to Europe and given space to Islamist extremists....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:44 am

Libya's Haftar rejects Ankara, Moscow's call for ceasefire
Jan 10, 2020

Renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar has rejected a call by Turkey and Russia for a ceasefire as he presses on to take Libya's capital, Tripoli.
Fighting between Haftar's forces and the UN-recognised government has escalated over recent weeks.
European and African leaders fear the conflict could destabilise the region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzBOp1pXgGw

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:50 am

Libya conflict: GNA and Gen Haftar's LNA ceasefire 'broken'
2 hours ago

The two sides in Libya's civil war have accused the other of breaking an internationally brokered ceasefire within hours of it taking effect.

After pressure from their backers, Russia and Turkey, the ceasefire officially started on Sunday.

But both the UN-backed government and forces loyal to Russian ally Gen Khalifar Haftar say there has been fighting around the capital, Tripoli.

Turkey last week sent troops to help Government of National Accord forces.

Gen Haftar is also backed by Egypt, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Jordan, raising fears that oil-rich Libya could become the theatre of a regional conflict, or even a "second Syria".

Amid the chaos, both Islamist militant groups and migrant smugglers have become well-established, causing particular concern in European countries just across the Mediterranean Sea....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:39 am

Turkey Muscles-In on the Israel-Greece-Cyprus EastMed Gas Pipeline Deal
by Soeren Kern January 13, 2020 at 5:00 am

The bilateral agreement between Turkey and Libya — which establishes a new Turkey-Libya economic zone that the EastMed pipeline would now have to cross — appears aimed at giving Turkey more leverage over the project.

"The recent Turkey-Libya Memorandum of Understanding on the delimitation of maritime jurisdictions in the Mediterranean Sea infringes upon the sovereign rights of third States and does not comply with the Law of the Sea and cannot produce any legal consequences for third States." — Charles Michel, President of the European Council, Consilium.Europea.eu, January 9, 2020

In May 2019, Turkey announced that it would begin drilling for gas in waters claimed by Cyprus.... In October 2019, Turkey defied the European Union by sending another drilling ship, the Yavuz, to operate inside waters claimed by Cyprus. Cyprus accused Turkey of a "severe escalation" of violations of its sovereign rights....

Snip... Erdoğan said: "Other international actors cannot conduct exploration activities in the areas marked in the Turkish-Libyan memorandum. Greek Cypriots, Egypt, Greece and Israel cannot establish a natural gas transmission line without Turkey's consent."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:32 am

Turkey: Still among the World's Worst Jailers of Journalists
by Uzay Bulut January 14, 2020 at 4:30 am

"Scores of journalists remain behind bars or under travel bans as a consequence of an extended, politically motivated crackdown against the media." — "Turkey's Journalists in the Dock: The Judicial Silencing of the Fourth Estate", September 13, 2019.

"A subsequent wide-ranging capture of the judiciary has progressively and severely damaged the rule of law and the public's right to access information..." — "Turkey's Journalists in the Dock: The Judicial Silencing of the Fourth Estate", September 13, 2019.

"Pre-trial detention for hundreds of journalists has lasted for months and sometimes years before investigations are completed and the trials can begin." — "Turkey's Journalists in the Dock: The Judicial Silencing of the Fourth Estate", September 13, 2019....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:06 am

Erdogan would not refrain from 'teaching a lesson' to Haftar
Turkish president says his country has 'duty to protect our kin in Libya' as he accuses Haftar of rejecting truce.
19 hours ago

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said Turkey would not refrain from "teaching a lesson" to Libyan renegade general Khalifa Haftar if his forces continue attacks against the internationally recognised government in Tripoli.

Erdogan's remarks came on Tuesday when Turkey and Russia failed to convince Haftar to sign a binding truce to halt his nine-month campaign to try to conquer Libya's capital.

The initiative was the latest attempt to stabilise the North African country beset by turmoil since the toppling of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011....

Snip... "It is our duty to protect our kin in Libya," he said....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:13 am

Egyptian security forces raid Turkish news agency in Cairo
Anadolu news agency says four employees were taken to an undisclosed location after police swoop.
20 hours ago

Turkey has summoned a senior Egyptian diplomat to protest what it said was a raid by Egyptian security forces on the Cairo office of Turkey's state-run news agency, in which four people were arrested.

The Anadolu news agency on Wednesday said the four employees, including one Turkish national, were taken to an undisclosed location after the police swoop....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:38 am

Libya's Haftar secretly flies to Greece ahead of Berlin summit
Military commander signals willingness to attend summit in Germany that includes Pompeo and other major players.
17 hours ago

Libyan military commander Khalifa Haftar secretly flew to Athens on Thursday for talks as Greece criticised its exclusion from a United Nations-backed peace conference in Berlin this weekend.

The Berlin talks are the latest international effort to end nine months of fighting between Haftar's forces based in the east of Libya and the UN-recognised government in Tripoli.

Greece was not invited to take part in Berlin negotiations despite its stated interest, and Athens was angered by the Tripoli government signing a maritime and military cooperation deal with regional rival Turkey....

Snip... "I've told European counterparts [that] Greece will never accept any political solution at [EU] summit level [that fails to] nullify this memorandum," Mitsotakis told Alpha TV....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:11 am

JANUARY 18, 2020 / 1:30 AM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO
Erdogan calls on Europe to support Turkey's moves in Libya: Politico
3 MIN READ

ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has called on Europe to support its work in Libya, where it is providing military support to the internationally-recognized government, if it wants to end the conflict there.

Erdogan made his remarks in a column published on the Politico website on Saturday, ahead of a summit in Berlin on Sunday that will try to stabilize the country.

At the meeting, Germany and the United Nations will push rival Libyan camps fighting over the capital, Tripoli, to agree to a truce and monitoring mechanism as first steps toward peace, diplomats and a draft communique said.

Turkey supports the government of Fayez al-Serraj in Tripoli and describes Khalifa Haftar, who heads the eastern Libyan National Army (LNA), as a coup plotter....

Contiues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:44 am

JANUARY 21, 2020 / 3:22 AM / A DAY AGO
Turkey says Libya's Haftar must choose political solution
2 MIN READ

ANKARA (Reuters) - Eastern Libyan military commander Khalifa Haftar must abide by calls for a political solution to the conflict in Libya and take steps to secure “calm on the ground”, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Tuesday.

Haftar abandoned talks for a ceasefire in Moscow last week and the blockade of Libyan oilfields by his forces overshadowed a summit in Berlin on Sunday aimed at shoring up a shaky truce.

His Libyan National Army (LNA) aims to capture the capital, Tripoli, through the backing of Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Russian mercenaries and African troops.

Turkey supports Haftar’s opponents, the Tripoli-based internationally recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) led by Fayez al-Serraj, and has dispatched military advisers and trainers to help the GNA....

Continues

God bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:40 am

Erdogan's Bold Plan for a New Muslim Brotherhood Regime in Libya
by Con Coughlin
January 23, 2020 at 5:00 am

The concern now is that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will use the failure of international mediators to end the fighting to intensify his support for the GNA, thereby strengthening the position of the numerous Islamist militias that are backing the UN-backed body.

Mr Erdogan was an ardent supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood when it held power in Cairo, and there is mounting concern, especially in Europe, that the Turkish leader has now set his sights on establishing a similar regime in Libya.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's decision to intervene militarily in the Libyan conflict not only raises the prospect of the conflict entering a new and more dangerous phase; it also promises to provide a significant boost for the Islamist militias that are vying to take control of the country and establish a Muslim Brotherhood-style government in Tripoli....

Snip... Mr Erdogan was an ardent supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood when it held power in Cairo, and there is mounting concern, especially in Europe, that the Turkish leader has now set his sights on establishing a similar regime in Libya....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:54 am

Turkey, Greece brace for standoff over Cyprus gas drilling plans
Jan 24, 2020

Turkey and Greece brace for a standoff in the eastern Mediterranean over controversial new Turkish plans to drill for gas in Cypriot waters.
This comes as regional industry leaders discuss energy plans at a conference in Athens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpfCP-FwPyw

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:07 am

Russia, Turkey emerge political frontrunners in Libya: Report
Report says US's lack of interest, Europe's power struggle have made it possible for both countries to infiltrate Libya.
19 hours ago

Russia and Turkey have formed an alliance to exploit insolvency of the West in the Libyan crisis to pose as sponsors of a future political solution in the North African country, according to a report by French newspaper Le Monde.

Libya, a large oil producer, has been engulfed by chaos since 2011 when longtime leader Muammar Gaddafi was killed in an uprising.

According to Le Monde, a lack of interest by the United States and power struggles in the European Union due to its reported obsession with migration and armed groups has made it possible for Russia and Turkey to step into Libya.

The newspaper also attributed other countries' failure to consistently support the post-Gaddafi transition and the growing activism in the Mediterranean for Turkey and Russia's influence in Libya....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Previous

Return to Prophecy Debate Area