Turkey : Part Four

(heavily moderated)

Re: Turkey : Part Four

Postby Exit40 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:30 am

Five things to know about Turkey's rift with Trump
BY ELLEN MITCHELL - 07/21/19 09:12 PM EDT

The United States' relationship with Turkey hit a low point this week after a rift over a Russia missile system that has taken the two nations’ alliance to a new level of animosity.

Washington on Wednesday officially booted Ankara from the F-35 fighter jet program over the NATO ally’s purchase of the Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile defense system.

The move drew the ire of Turkey, whose government said the move went counter to the “spirit of alliance,” and called on Washington to reverse the decision.

“We call on the United States to come back from this mistake that will cause irreparable damage to our strategic ties,” Turkey’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

But the Trump administration’s move was hardly a surprise as it has threatened such retaliation for months if Turkey took delivery of the first shipment of S-400 parts, which it did on July 12.

This also marks yet another fracture in the relationship between the two nations, after years of brewing tensions and deteriorating goodwill marked by disagreements over foreign allies, sanctions and leadership style.

Here are five things to know about the latest rift and previous clashes between the two countries....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:42 am

Erdogan Economics Weaponized as Central Bank Looks to Cut Rates
Bloomberg Cagan Koc Bloomberg•July 24, 2019

(Bloomberg) -- Turkey is about to embark on one of the greatest central banking experiments in emerging markets -- and the timing couldn’t be better.

Long a believer that high interest rates cause inflation, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is finally putting that unconventional theory into practice by installing Murat Uysal as governor this month after firing his predecessor for failing to cut sooner.

As the drumbeat of political pressure grows on central banks from the U.S. to India, Erdogan has one-upped his counterparts thanks to broad new powers granted to his office after last year’s general election. A policy meeting on Thursday will show just how sharp a pivot the central bank is prepared to make.

Turkey is ripe for monetary easing. A dovish turn in monetary policy globally and a downswing in inflation has left Turkey with the world’s highest real rate. Powerful base effects will likely continue to choke off price growth in the months ahead....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:01 am

JULY 24, 2019 / 4:45 AM / UPDATED A DAY AGO
Turkey has 'no patience left' with U.S. on Syria safe zone
Tuvan Gumrukcu

ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Wednesday that new U.S. proposals for a safe zone in northern Syria fall short and Turkey was running out of patience as Washington appears to be stalling in efforts to seal an agreement.

U.S. special envoy for Syria James Jeffrey held talks in Ankara this week on the zone and other issues, including progress on a roadmap agreed last year for the northern town of Manbij to be cleared of the Kurdish YPG militia.

The militia has been the main U.S. ally on the ground in Syria during Washington’s fight against Islamic State.

However, Turkey has been infuriated by U.S. support for the YPG, which Ankara considers a terrorist organization, and has repeatedly demanded that Washington cut its ties.

Following the U.S. decision to withdraw from northern Syria, the NATO allies agreed to create the safe zone, which Turkey says should be controlled by its forces and also cleared of the YPG.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:25 am

Turkey Threatens to Reignite European Migrant Crisis
by Soeren Kern July 31, 2019 at 5:00 am

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1462 ... ant-crisis

"We are facing the biggest wave of migration in history. If we open the floodgates, no European government will be able to survive for more than six months. We advise them not to try our patience." — Turkish Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu.

"Turkey is fully committed to the objective of EU membership... The finalization of the Visa Liberalization Dialogue process which will allow our citizens to travel to the Schengen area without a visa, is our first priority." — Statement released by the Turkish Foreign Ministry, May 9, 2019.

"This doesn't mean that I have anything against the Turks.... But if we begin to explain it — that Turkey is in Europe — European school students will have to be told that the European border lies in Syria. Where's common sense? ... Can Turkey be regarded a European country culturally, historically, and economically speaking? If we say that, we want the European Union's death." — Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

If the EU approves the visa waiver, tens of millions of Turks will gain immediate and unimpeded access to Europe's passport-free zone. Critics of visa liberalization fear that millions of Turkish nationals may end up migrating to Europe. The Austrian newsmagazine, Wochenblick, reported that 11 million Turks are living in poverty and "many of them are dreaming of moving to central Europe."...

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:41 am

Russia, Turkey, Iran: Adversaries of the West's NATO Alliance
by Con Coughlin August 5, 2019 at 5:00 am

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1465 ... aries-nato

Germany's outright rejection of Washington's request [to support Washington's proposal for a maritime protection force in the Arabian Gulf to protect shipping from attacks by Iran] is likely to inflame tensions further between Washington and Berlin. U.S. President Donald J. Trump is already at odds with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on a range of issues, from Germany's obstinate refusal to meet its Nato funding commitments to its pursuit of closer energy ties with Russia through the construction of the controversial Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline.

Mr Trump is highly critical of the project. He argues that it will make Europe, and especially Germany, too dependent on Moscow for its energy needs, which could undermine the resolve of the Nato alliance to take a robust stand against Moscow in any future confrontation.

So, at a time when the Western alliance is already struggling with how to respond to Turkey's deepening military ties with Russia, Germany's refusal to fulfil its obligations to protect shipping in the Gulf will be interpreted by adversaries of the West such as Moscow and Tehran as yet further evidence of what would doubtless please them very much: deepening divisions within the Western alliance....

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby keithareilly on Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:46 pm

:snack:
keithareilly
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:28 am

OPINION/TURKEY
Understanding the 'S-400 crisis'
The purchase of the S-400 does not mean Turkey is 'turning its back' on NATO.
Verda Ozer by Verda Ozer 24 hours ago

On July 31, the deadline the United States set for Turkey to abandon its deal with Russia for the S-400 missile system expired. As Ankara continues its efforts to negotiate with Washington and convince it not to impose sanctions, pundits in the West have started to talk about a major shift in Turkish foreign policy. Some have gone as far as to suggest that Turkey has "turned its back on the US" and is gravitating closer to Russia.

While this is not the first time a NATO member has bought a military system from Moscow - Greece purchased the S-300, the older version of the S-400, in 1996 - the Turkish-Russian deal comes at a time of heightened tensions between the West and Russia and increasing fractures within the transatlantic alliance. It has caused a "first of a kind" internal crisis in the alliance and has gotten Washington worried.

The purchase of the S-400 will indeed affect Turkey's strategic alliance with the US, but it will not break it. In the future, Ankara will have to balance between its 67-year-old NATO membership and other partners, rather than replacing one with the other....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:28 am

ISIS, Assad, and Turkey Are Waging a Shadow War on U.S. Allies in Syria
Arson, bombs, spies, and propaganda stoke tensions in northeast Syria as Turkish troops mobilize along the border for a threatened invasion.

Kevin Knodell Benedetta Argentieri Published 08.08.19 5:05AM ET

QAMISHLO, Syria—An enormous fire raged across several wheat fields outside this town on July 6. It was a dry summer day and dark smoke towered over the countryside as the flames spread across the farmland. Some locals watched in awe at the inferno. Others tried to fight back with shovels and rakes. They had little success. They watched the blaze consume their livelihood. Locals told The Daily Beast that the fire started near Turkish military checkpoints along the border and made its way south across Kurdish farms.

Scenes like this have become commonplace this summer as fires have burned across Northeast Syria (or “Rojava” as it is known to the Kurds and their supporters). They have been particularly destructive this year and suspiciously concentrated in contested territories that make up the lines between between U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), Turkish troops and Syrian pro-regime forces—as well as scattered fires near former ISIS strongholds.

Now, as Turkish leaders threaten to invade this region, things could heat up even more....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:30 am

Western allegations over Turkish economy debunked a year after lira plunge
DAILY SABAH ISTANBUL Published 09.08.2019 Updated 09.08.2019

A money changer counts Turkish lira bills at an currency exchange office in Istanbul December 16, 2014. (Reuters Photo)
A money changer counts Turkish lira bills at an currency exchange office in Istanbul December 16, 2014. (Reuters Photo)
"Some analysts have suggested Turkey should seek support from the IMF," read a line from a piece published in Financial Times on Aug. 10, 2018, when the Turkish economy was under heavy pressure from the strengthening dollar.

The emerging markets editor in the FT, Jonathan Wheatley, claimed that only way out for President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his administration was to "raise interest rates, turn to the IMF, impose capital controls or wait it out."

"Judging by his actions so far, Erdoğan's next move will be to impose capital controls," Larry Elliott, the Guardian's economics editor, also alleged in a piece published just two days later....

Snip... "It's 1 year after the big Turkish lira blowup of 2018, the lira is 25% stronger than its worst levels, rates are at 18 month lows, and as usual Turkey has defied repeated predictions of economic collapse," he said in a tweet....

Continues

**** We should note that while this seems a positive report, Daily Sabah is a very pro govt source. D ****

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:48 am

Turkey's Erdogan to visit Moscow after convoy targeted in Syria
Surprise meeting comes after the leaders agreed to 'activate mutual efforts' to ease situation in Idlib, says Kremlin.
16 hours ago

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will visit Moscow on Tuesday for a meeting with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, the Turkish presidency has said, days after a Turkish convoy was nearly hit by air raids in the Syrian province of Idlib.

Friday's announcement came as Syrian forces, backed by Russia, continue to make advances into the last rebel stronghold in Syria's northwest region that borders Turkey. Since late April, Syria and Russia have escalated their bombardment of Idlib, with more than 500 civilians being killed in the hostilities, according to the United Nations....

Snip... The visit will come just weeks before Erdogan is set to host Putin and Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani for a summit on Syria in Ankara on September 16....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:27 am

Erdogan eyes 'inferior' Putin warplanes to defy Trump as S-400 Russian missiles arrive
VLADIMIR PUTIN defied Donald Trump again as he entered talks with Turkey officials over the sale of Russian Su-57 fighter jets – but analysis suggests that Ankara will be receiving an inferior product compared to US warplanes.
By KUMAIL JAFFER PUBLISHED: 10:52, Fri, Aug 30, 2019 | UPDATED: 12:56, Fri, Aug 30, 2019

Putin showed off Russia's latest hi-tech stealth fighter jet to Turkish President – and new ally – Tayyip Erdogan this week. Turkey is banned from buying any US F-35 fighter planes due to a long-standing dispute with the Trump administration over Ankara's decision to purchase Russian S-400 missiles. However, despite optimism from Turkish officials, military analysis claims that the US jet dwarfs its Russian counterpart.
Russia showed off its latest Su-57 model earlier this month, boasting that it was far better than earlier versions.

However, the evidence shows the US F-35 fighter jet is superior in a number of areas.

An F-35 has a far larger detection radar range – it would be able to strike an Su-57 while remaining undetectable by the Russian plane.

And while the Su-57 can travel higher, faster and for longer, the US plane has a significantly faster rate of climb, meaning it can reach vast heights in record time....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:21 am

Erdoğan's Elections: Heads I Win, Tails You Lose
by Burak Bekdil September 2, 2019 at 5:00 am
https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/1478 ... ons-losses

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan promised party fans a clear election victory in Istanbul [on the June 23 rerun] -- but lost, this time, by a margin of more than 800,000 votes, compared to only 13,000 in the original race.

"Your wrath stems from the fear in you." — Meral Danış Baştas, Kurdish MP, replying to Erdoğan.

By using an administrative decision as a pretext to oust elected mayors, Erdoğan is effectively nullifying millions of Kurdish votes. Moreover, if the ousted mayors actually had proven links to terrorist organizations, why were they allowed to run in an election in the first place?

This drama will probably continue: Kurds will elect their leaders, Erdoğan will sack them. Kurds again will elect their leaders, Erdoğan will sack them too. Kurds will vote for other leaders and Erdoğan will sack them too.

Erdoğan should sit down, think and find out: why do his country's 20 million or so Kurds insist on invariably electing "terrorists" as mayors to their cities and towns, and defying his calls to do otherwise?...

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:10 am

TURKEY HAS U.S. NUCLEAR WEAPONS, NOW IT SAYS IT SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HAVE SOME OF ITS OWN
BY TOM O'CONNOR ON 9/4/19 AT 6:13 PM EDT

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has argued that his country should be allowed to develop nuclear weapons as other major powers have.

Addressing the Central Anatolian Economic Forum in the central province of Sivas, Erdogan lauded the expansion of the Turkish defense industry, especially recent conversations with the United States and Russia, while hinting at future talks with China. He then recalled how "some countries have missiles with nuclear warheads" and "not just one or two."

"But I cannot possess missiles with nuclear warheads? I do not accept that," Erdogan said. "Right now, nearly all the countries in the developed world have nuclear missiles."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:11 am

Erdoğan: I'll let Syrian refugees leave Turkey for west unless safe zone set up
Turkish president threatens to ‘open the gates’ in face of footdragging from US and EU
Peter Beaumont and Helena Smith in Athens Thu 5 Sep 2019 06.52 EDTLast modified on Thu 5 Sep 2019 13.30 EDT

The Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, is threatening to “open the gates” to allow Syrian refugees to leave Turkey for western countries unless a controversial “safe zone” inside Syria is established soon.

Erdoğan’s comments come amid growing tension with Washington over delays in establishing the safe zone – first proposed by Donald Trump – not least over the fate of a key US-allied Kurdish militia, the YPG, which Ankara regards as a terrorist organisation.

Ankara has been threatening to move its troops unilaterally into the safe zone unless progress is made.

With Turkey hosting some 3.6 million Syrian refugees, Erdoğan’s threat raised the spectre of a surge of people into Europe that could dwarf even the recent migration crisis at its peak....

Snip... “The big question is what happens next to the EU-Turkey statement,” the Greek civil protection minister, Michalis Chrysochoidis, said referring to the expiration of the EU deal at the end of the year.

“Right now nobody knows what will happen.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:37 am

SEPTEMBER 7, 2019 / 7:11 AM / UPDATED A DAY AGO
Turkey calls on U.S. to lift barriers to boost trade

FILE PHOTO: A Turkish flag is pictured on a boat in Istanbul, Turkey, June 22, 2019. REUTERS/Murad Sezer
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Turkey asked the United States to lift trade barriers between the two countries during talks on Saturday aimed at sharply increasing bilateral commerce, Turkey’s trade minister said.

Washington and Ankara have set an ambitious goal of quadrupling their trade to $100 billion a year, despite the prospect of U.S. sanctions over Turkey’s recent purchase of Russian missile defense systems.

Trade Minister Ruhsar Pekcan said she expressed Turkey’s “clear expectation” to U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross over the removal of “certain barriers and policies as implemented by the U.S. administration that constitute (an) obstacle to enhancing our bilateral trade.”...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:45 am

Turkey’s Radical Plan: Send a Million Refugees Back to Syria
By Carlotta Gall Sept. 10, 2019 Updated 10:12 a.m. ET

GAZIANTEP, Turkey — Turkey, which for eight years has welcomed millions of Syrian refugees, has reversed course, forcing thousands to leave its major cities in recent weeks and ferrying many of them to its border with Syria in white buses and police vans.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is pushing a radical solution — resettling refugees in a swath of Syrian territory controlled by the United States and its Kurdish allies. If that does not happen, he is threatening to send a flood of Syrian migrants to Europe.

Mr. Erdogan has long demanded a buffer zone along Turkey’s border with Syria to keep out Kurdish forces, whom he considers a security threat.

But he has repackaged the idea for the zone as a refuge for Syrians fleeing the war — pushing it as resentment against Syrians in Turkey has increased, and a Syrian and Russian offensive in Syria has sent hundreds of thousands more refugees fleeing toward the Turkish border....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:02 am

SEPTEMBER 15, 2019 / 6:41 AM / A DAY AGO
Leaders of Turkey, Russia, Iran set to tackle Syria turmoil
5 MIN READ

ANKARA (Reuters) - The leaders of Turkey, Russia and Iran meet on Monday to try to secure a lasting truce in northwest Syria following attacks by the government that risk deepening regional turmoil and pushing a new wave of migrants toward Turkey.

The summit in Ankara, bringing together countries whose Syrian allies are combatants in a ruinous eight-year-old war, will focus on the Idlib region, the last remaining territory held by rebels seeking to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and Iran’s Hassan Rouhani have backed Assad against the rebels. Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, along with the United States, European and Arab allies, has supported different rebel factions in the conflict....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 am

Why isn’t the media covering Turkish President Erdogan’s ties to ISIS
By Kenneth R. TimmermanSeptember 21, 2019 | 2:32pm

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has pitched his tent at New York’s glitzy Peninsula Hotel this week, where he will be dining (but not wining) American Muslim leaders on the sidelines of UN meetings.

During his 2017 New York visit, Erdogan met with then-freshman U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN). This past July, state-run media chiefs called on Turks around the world to donate to her re-election campaign, which is illegal if they are not U.S. citizens or green-card holders.

But what should disturb Americans most about Erdogan is not his efforts to influence Congress, his abysmal record as a jailer of journalists, his genocidal war against the Kurds, or even the $100 million mosque he has constructed in Lanham, Maryland....

Snip... The evidence of Erdogan’s direct, personal and institutional support for ISIS and related jihadi groups is so extensive, the wonder is why the American media is not paying more attention to it.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Previous

Return to Prophecy Debate Area