Turkey : Part Four

(heavily moderated)

Re: Turkey : Part Four

Postby burien1 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Gruesome ! Risky job being a reporter in that part of the world. :( :shark:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:36 am

Crown prince sought to lure Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia and detain him, U.S. intercepts show
By Shane Harris October 10 at 8:16 PM

The crown prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman, ordered an operation to lure Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia from his home in Virginia and then detain him, according to U.S. intelligence intercepts of Saudi officials discussing the plan.

The intelligence, described by U.S. officials familiar with it, is another piece of evidence implicating the Saudi regime in Khashoggi’s disappearance last week after he entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. Turkish officials say that a Saudi security team lay in wait for the journalist and killed him.

Khashoggi was a prominent critic of the Saudi government and Mohammed in particular. Several of Khashoggi’s friends said that over the past four months, senior Saudi officials close to the crown prince had called Khashoggi to offer him protection, and even a high-level job working for the government, if he returned to his home country.

Khashoggi, however, was skeptical of the offers. He told one friend that the Saudi government would never make good on its promises not to harm him....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:38 am

burien1 wrote:Gruesome ! Risky job being a reporter in that part of the world. :( :shark:

Depends on whether the reporter reports favorably or not.

God Bless You

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:24 am

Turkey has 'shocking' audio and visual evidence of Saudi journalist's murder
By Bard Wilkinson, Nic Robertson and Laura Smith-Spark, CNN
Updated 6:56 AM ET, Fri October 12, 2018

(CNN)Turkish authorities have audio and visual evidence that shows journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul just over a week ago, a source familiar with the ongoing investigation told CNN.

The source, who was briefed by a Western intelligence agency, says the evidence showed there had been an assault and a struggle inside the consulate. There is also evidence of the moment that Khashoggi was killed, the source said.

The foreign intelligence service was shocked by the nature of the evidence, provided in a briefing from Turkish officials, the source told CNN....

Snip... International pressure has mounted on Saudi Arabia to explain what happened to Khashoggi, a former Saudi royal insider who became a critic of the regime and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:26 am

What is the Global Magnitsky Act, and why are U.S. senators invoking this on Saudi Arabia?
By Jordan Tama October 12 at 7:00 AM

Saudi dissident Jamal Khashoggi has not been seen since he entered a Saudi Arabian consulate in Turkey on Oct. 2, prompting widespread rumors that the Saudi government is behind his disappearance. A bipartisan group of 11 Democratic and 11 Republican senators sent a letter to President Trump this week, calling for an investigation and a determination of whether to impose sanctions on foreign government officials because of Khashoggi’s reported disappearance, “including with respect to the highest ranking officials in the Government of Saudi Arabia.”

The letter, signed by all but one member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, was drafted pursuant to a 2016 law — the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act — that requires the president to decide within 120 days whether to impose the requested sanctions....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:33 am

Trump administration cautiously optimistic that pastor held in Turkey will be freed
By Karen DeYoung and Carol D. Leonnig October 11 at 2:19 PM

The Trump administration is cautiously optimistic that an American cleric who has been held in Turkey for the past
two years on espionage and ­terrorism-related charges will be released soon after a court hearing Friday, according to U.S. officials and people close to the case.

In a negotiated deal that includes the lifting of U.S. sanctions — both threatened and implemented — against Turkey, charges against the Rev. Andrew Brunson are to be reduced to allow him to be sentenced to time already served, or to be allowed to serve any remaining sentence in the United States.

Snip... The return of Brunson, whose case has been an intense focus of Trump’s evangelical political base, would be a major victory for the president. The administration would likely cast it as proof of the wisdom of his hard-line stance against Turkey, a NATO ally, and his commitment to protecting besieged Christians around the world....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:11 am

Trump to host American pastor freed by Turkey
BY JORDAN FABIAN - 10/12/18 05:10 PM EDT 197

President Trump on Friday hailed the release of Andrew Brunson, an American pastor who was being held by the Turkish government, saying Brunson would visit the Oval Office on Saturday.

"I hear he's in very good shape," Trump told reporters traveling with him in Ohio, where he is attending campaign events. “We’re very honored to have him back with us. He suffered greatly.”

The Trump administration had long pushed the Turkish government to release Brunson, who was imprisoned in October 2016 during a crackdown following a coup attempt....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am

Saudis preparing to admit Jamal Khashoggi died during interrogation, sources say
By Clarissa Ward and Tim Lister, CNN Updated 6:26 PM ET, Mon October 15, 2018

Ankara, Turkey (CNN)The Saudis are preparing a report that will acknowledge that Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's death was the result of an interrogation that went wrong, one that was intended to lead to his abduction from Turkey, according to two sources.

One source says the report will likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that those involved will be held responsible.

One of the sources acknowledged that the report is still being prepared and cautioned that things could change....

Snip... Earlier Monday, President Donald Trump suggested that "rogue killers" could be behind Khashoggi's disappearance, after a phone call with Saudi Arabia's King Salman about the case. Trump said King Salman told him "in a very firm way that they had no knowledge of it."...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:34 am

Saudi Arabia's sloppy Khashoggi response may force Trump's hand towards punishment
Alex Lockie 12m

President Donald Trump will meet his Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for a full report on his crisis-response visits to Saudi Arabia and Turkey to craft the US response to the suspected murder of Saudi critic Jamal Khashoggi.

Anonymous Turkish officials have leaked increasingly gruesome details of Khashoggi's alleged murder, implicating the Saudi state, to pro-government press and US publications.

But while these officials claim to have audio recordings of the murder, they have not shared them with the US and instead chose to leak them to the press.

Saudi Arabia remains widely suspected of murdering Khashoggi, and has only offered flat denials and access to the sites of interest after long delays and some visible preparation.

Trump explicitly does not want to harm the relationship with Saudi Arabia which he credits with creating jobs. But as global pressure mounts, his hand may be forced....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:01 am

WORLD NEWSOCTOBER 19, 2018 / 4:32 AM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO
As Khashoggi crisis grows, Saudi king asserts authority, checks son's power: sources

DUBAI (Reuters) - So grave is the fallout from the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi that King Salman has felt compelled to intervene, five sources with links to the Saudi royal family said.

Last Thursday, Oct. 11, the king dispatched his most trusted aide, Prince Khaled al-Faisal, governor of Mecca, to Istanbul to try to defuse the crisis.

World leaders were demanding an explanation and concern was growing in parts of the royal court that the king’s son Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, to whom he has delegated vast powers, was struggling to contain the fallout, the sources said.

During Prince Khaled’s visit, Turkey and Saudi Arabia agreed to form a joint working group to investigate Khashoggi’s disappearance. The king subsequently ordered the Saudi public prosecutor to open an inquiry based on its findings.

“The selection of Khaled, a senior royal with high status, is telling as he is the king’s personal adviser, his right hand man and has had very strong ties and a friendship with (Turkish President) Erdogan,” said a Saudi source with links to government circles....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:53 am

The Geopolitics of Khashoggi Murder

Graham E. Fuller (grahamefuller.com)

17 October 2018

The grisly details of the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi security goons in their own consulate in Istanbul has riveted global attention like few other recent stories. Not surprisingly, the lurid descriptions of this single sensational case have far greater impact on public perceptions than the deaths of some ten thousand Yemenis—mostly civilians— in Saudi Arabia’s military operations in Yemen—facilitated by Washington and London.

Simultaneously we have the theatrical spectacle of the Erdogan government in Turkey releasing in tantalizing dribs and drabs the apparently documented details of the horrors of Khashoggi’s torture, murder and dismemberment, keeping the story alive. All of this skillfully escalates public revulsion and places Saudi Arabia and its impetuous crown prince Muhammad bin Salman (MbS) into a stark spotlight before the world. Saudi Arabia has many enemies in this world; the chickens are coming home to roost.

But what is really going on here? What is Turkey up to? ...

Continues

God bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Previous

Return to Prophecy Debate Area