Turkey : Part Four

(heavily moderated)

Re: Turkey : Part Four

Postby Exit40 on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:23 am

Erdogan will get fooled again
Pinar Tremblay October 4, 2017
ARTICLE SUMMARY: When things don't go Erdogan's way, he has used the same argument that he was "deceived," but does anyone still believe him?

On Sept. 26, a day after the Kurdish referendum, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan gave a harsh speech criticizing Massoud Barzani, the leader of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG). Erdogan questioned what Barzani possibly could be expecting of this referendum given the fact that he cannot pay his own bureaucrats’ salaries and had to borrow $1.5 million from Turkey. Erdogan was disappointed that Barzani did not even bother to consult with him about this referendum. Erdogan said, “Up until the last minute, we did not expect Barzani to make such a decision [to hold the referendum], but we were wrong. In a time when our relations were at its best, we consider this decision [to be] treachery against our country.” Erdogan also emphasized his doubts about the voter turnout and legitimacy of the results of the referendum, while repeatedly highlighting Israeli meddling for an independent Kurdistan. Erdogan warned attempts at Kurdish independence would harm both Turkish-Israeli and Turkish-KRG relations. Still, he did not utter a word about other Arab countries’ support toward the KRG....

Snips... “Erdogan has been playing victim since the start of his political life. He has cultivated the image of a warm-hearted and trusting person who gets victimized by cunning politicians because of his naivete. His base has bought into this image. Hence, when he says that Gulen, Obama or Barzani tricked him, it resonates with his base....

... One Iraqi businessman who asked to remain anonymous and is heavily invested in Kurdistan told Al-Monitor, “Erdogan now hopes to ally with Baghdad and Tehran, but he has not kept his promises to either one of them....

Continues

**** Rather harsh analysis. ****

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:31 am

Turkish Markets Tumble After Erdogan’s Feud With U.S. Escalates
By Tugce Ozsoy and Selcan Hacaoglu October 8, 2017, 12:16 PM PDT October 9, 2017, 4:20 AM PDT

Turkish Lira Plunges to a Record Low
Markets in Istanbul tumbled after the U.S. and Turkey stopped issuing visas for each other’s citizens in a spat related to last year’s failed coup against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, deepening divisions between two NATO members already at odds over the war in Syria.

The Trump administration halted visa services for Turks on Sunday, citing the Oct. 4 arrest of a Turkish citizen employed at the U.S. consulate in Istanbul for alleged involvement in the July 2016 putsch attempt. Erdogan’s government responded in kind within hours, repeating verbatim much of the U.S. statement.

Relations between the two countries have soured since the coup attempt, which Erdogan blames on a self-exiled cleric based in the U.S., Fethullah Gulen. The U.S. has refused Turkey’s request to extradite Gulen, citing lack of evidence. Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gul on Monday reiterated Turkish calls to hand him over and urged the Trump administration to reconsider its visa ban, denying media reports that Turkey plans to arrest another U.S. consular employee....

Continues

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:08 am

US: Turkey visa decision a 'coordinated effort'
'Our ambassadors tend to not do things unilaterally,' State Department spokesperson says
08:56 October 11, 2017 Anadolu Agency

The U.S. Embassy in Turkey has taken the decision to suspend visa services in coordination with the White House and State Department, a spokesperson for the department said Tuesday.

"Our ambassadors tend to not do things unilaterally," Heather Nauert told reporters.

"This was coordinated with the State Department. It was coordinated with the White House and coordinated with the NSC (National Security Council).”

On Sunday, The U.S. announced the suspension of all non-immigrant visa services at U.S. missions in Turkey. The Turkish Embassy in Washington took a similar decision in retaliation....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:23 am

Turkey Poised to Roll Into Syria
Oct 7, 2017 | 15:06 GMT

Weeks after Turkish forces started to deploy in large numbers along the border with Syria, adjacent to the province of Idlib, Ankara appears to be on the verge of launching yet another significant military operation into the war-torn country. Unlike Operation Euphrates Shield, which targeted lands occupied by the Islamic State, the upcoming operation into Idlib will be directed toward lands occupied by Syrian rebels. As befitting a convoluted conflict such as Syria, Turkey's advance into Idlib will be assisted by other Syrian rebel groups trained over time by Turkey in neighboring Aleppo province. And according to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's latest statements, they will be supported by Russian aviation.

Given that Turkey has for years directly supported rebel factions in Idlib in their fight against Russian- and Iranian-backed loyalist forces, the prospect of Turkish forces advancing into Syria under Russian air cover appears jarring at face value....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 am

Erdogan’s diplomatic spats leave a trail of Turkish disputes
YESTERDAY by Mehul Srivastava in Istanbul

When Turkish officials were scrambling to resolve an escalating dispute with the US, their Nato ally this month, they had a plan.

They had already been informed that Washington intended to cut off new visa applications inside Turkey, a retaliation for the arrest of an employee just days earlier. In the Turkish foreign ministry, the news set off a flurry of phone calls, both formal and informal conversations with diplomats from the US and other countries.

Top bureaucrats started drafting a measured response, including a statement that was designed to help lower temperatures, while they probed their colleagues in other ministries to see how some of Washington’s demands — which included access to the arrested Turkish foreign service employee, and greater clarity about the charges — could be quietly met.

“If handled properly, this could have been a small, one-week mini-crisis,” said a person involved, who asked not to be identified discussing official matters....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:32 am

Erdogan says US cannot be 'civilized country'
Turkish president criticizes Donald Trump's policy regarding Muslims
ISTANBUL, TURKEY 21.10.2017 By Burcu Arik & Fatma Bulbul

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday the U.S. could not be called a civilized country.

"What do they call America? The cradle of democracy. Such a thing cannot be a democracy and its name cannot be democracy," he said at the Civilizations Forum at Ibn Haldun University in Istanbul.

"If America issues arrest warrants for my 13 bodyguards in a country where I went upon invitation, I'm sorry, but I will not say that country is civilized," Erdogan said at the Civilizations Forum at Ibn Haldun University in Istanbul....

Snip... "Muslims in America are facing expulsion so it means there is a problem in the country," he said, adding he had doubts on Trump's ability to "judge" a civilization....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:13 am

Ex-CIA chief proposed plan to discredit Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen
As a Trump campaign adviser, former CIA director James Woolsey pitched contract to two Turkish businessmen to help discredit US-based cleric
Thursday 26 October 2017 20:08 UTC Last update: Friday 27 October 2017 2:30 UTC By Nathan Layne

Former CIA director James Woolsey pitched a $10m contract to two Turkish businessmen to help discredit a controversial US-based cleric while Woolsey was an adviser to Donald Trump's election campaign, three people familiar with the proposal said.

Just eight days after joining Trump's campaign as an adviser on national security issues, Woolsey met last year on 20 September with businessmen Ekim Alptekin and Sezgin Baran Korkmaz over lunch at the Peninsula Hotel in New York, they said.

Woolsey and his wife, Nancye Miller, proposed a lobbying and public relations campaign targeting Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish cleric who lives in Pennsylvania.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accuses Gulen of instigating a failed coup in July 2016 and wants him extradited to Turkey to face trial. Gulen has denied any role in the coup.

In an email memo seen by Reuters, Woolsey and Miller sketched a plan to "draw attention to the cleric's possible role in the coup attempt" and encourage an official investigation into his activities....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:23 am

Why did Erdogan sacrifice Kurdish vote?
Pinar Tremblay October 29, 2017

REUTERS/Kacper PempelTurkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan attends a news conference after his meeting with Polish President Andrzej Duda at the presidential palace, Warsaw, Poland, Oct. 17, 2017.
Surviving as a Kurd in Turkey is becoming more difficult. The Iraqi Kurdistan referendum Sept. 25 — although almost undone in a month — has given one more reason to the ultranationalist faction in the Turkish government to rally around Kurdophobia. Two days prior to the referendum, the Turkish parliament authorized the use of military force in Syria and Iraq. All parties voted in favor, except for the pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), which has seen many of its leaders imprisoned, including a large number of legislators and 4,000 members. On Sept. 23, HDP lawmaker Osman Baydemir summarized the sentiments of the majority of the Kurds, saying the force authorization is “a clear declaration of enmity toward 40 million Kurds” in the region.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his government have flexed their muscles against Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) President Massoud Barzani (who said Oct. 29 that he will step down Nov. 1) and haphazardly allied with the most unlikely actors in the region against the Kurds. Almost all Turkish media outlets utilize harsh anti-Kurdish rhetoric, and the Yeni Akit daily went as far as to publish a caricature of Barzani’s head cut off even before the referendum results were published....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:29 am

October 30 2017 11:09:00
Turkey will ‘spoil games’ with force if necessary, Erdoğan says at Republic Day reception

Turkey will “spoil the games” targeting it “with force if necessary,” President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan vowed in a reception at his Presidential Complex to mark Republic Day on Oct. 29.

“If those against us act within the boundaries of democracy, we will use the rules of democracy. If those against us act in line with rights and law, we will use the rules of law. But if those against us do not abide by either of these then we will spoil their games through force,” Erdoğan said.

“The veteran Mustafa Kemal [Atatürk], who established the Republic [of Turkey] and who we remember with grace, determined a target for our new state. This target was ‘rising to the level of contemporary civilization,’” he added....

Snip... “Turkey, with its historical accumulation of many centuries, is a country that stands as an example to other countries in the world. Those who think that the Turkish nation only consists of 80 million citizens have not noticed the hundreds of millions of brothers and sisters praying for us and directing their hearts and eyes to us,” the president stated...

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:32 am

Ankara, Moscow coordinate steps ahead of new round of Astana talks
Menekse Tokyay | Published — Monday 30 October 2017

Erdogan, Putin agree joint push to end Syria war

ANKARA: Ankara and Moscow continued their coordination on Syria ahead of the seventh round of peace talks in Astana on Monday.

On Oct. 28, according to presidential sources quoted in Turkish media, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin discussed the latest developments in Syria by phone.

They reportedly underlined the significance of closely coordinating in Syria’s northwestern province of Idlib, where the Turkish military recently began building observation posts as part of a “de-escalation” deal brokered by Ankara, Moscow and Tehran last month.

Experts say they expect Idlib to dominate the agenda of the upcoming Astana meeting, which is due to last for two days....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:36 am

Erdogan Links Alleged in U.S. Documents Before Iran Trial
By Christian Berthelsen November 3, 2017, 5:03 AM PDT Updated on November 3, 2017, 5:35 AM PDT
U.S. contends trader laundered funds to skirt sanctions

Recep Tayyip Erdogan Photographer: Michael Nagle/Bloomberg
A trader accused of helping Iran evade sanctions invoked the name of Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, as part of a scheme that U.S. prosecutors say was supported by Turkey’s government, according to court documents.

U.S. prosecutors in New York have gathered taped conversations and other records that suggest the trader may have sought support from Erdogan. The Turkish president hasn’t been accused of wrongdoing, and it’s possible that the trader falsely invoked Erdogan’s name to influence others. The people charged in the case are captured in the recorded conversations, which were introduced in a filing in federal court in Manhattan.

The documents introduced in the sanctions and money-laundering case against the Turkish-Iranian gold trader, Reza Zarrab, could further complicate the relationship between the U.S. and Turkey, a majority-Muslim country long considered a crucial ally in the region.

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:02 am

Kurdish rift emerges between Erdogan, Putin
Zülfikar Doğan November 6, 2017

ARTICLE SUMMARY
A fundamental disagreement over the role of Syria’s Kurds threatens to wreck Turkey’s partnership with Russia, atop already simmering tensions with the United States.

REUTERS/Carlos BarriaRussian President Vladimir Putin looks on next to European Council President Donald Tusk and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan at the G-20 summit in Hamburg, Germany, July 7, 2017.
ANKARA, Turkey — Since a Russian warplane was shot down by Turkey in November 2015, Turkey has been scrambling to reconcile with Russia, but disagreements over the role of Syrian Kurds are now threatening a fresh deadlock. Despite the close dialogue between the two countries’ presidents, the rift over the Democratic Union Party (PYD) and its armed wing, the People’s Protection Units (YPG), seems to be deepening.

Last week, Russia invited 33 groups, including Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s Baath Party, to a Syrian Congress on National Dialogue in Sochi on Nov. 18. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Nov. 3 that the initiative was an important step toward implementing UN Security Council Resolution 2254, and that invitations had been sent to all opposition groups, including those outside Syria.

Resolution 2254, adopted in December 2015, called for a cease-fire and talks on a political transition between the Syrian government and the opposition, excluding groups seen as terrorists such as the Islamic State (IS) and Jabhat Fatah al-Sham (formerly known as Jabhat al-Nusra). It said the political transition should be Syrian-led and called for “free and fair elections” under UN supervision.

Read more: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/origina ... z4xl56fTX2

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Exit40 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:06 am

November 13 2017 18:34:00
Turkish President Erdoğan slams US-Russia deal on Syria
ISTANBUL

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has slammed an apparent consensus between Russian President Vladimir Putin and U.S. President Donald Trump on Syria, in which the two leaders said “no military solution is possible” in war-torn country. Erdoğan said that anyone who does not believe in a military solution in Syria “should pull their troops out.”

“I’m having difficulty understanding these comments. If a military solution is out of the question, then those who say this should pull their troops out,” Erdoğan told reporters on Nov. 13 before departing for the Black Sea resort city of Sochi for a meeting with Putin.

“If a military method is not a solution, one should apply to the political method and find ways to go to elections as soon as possible. Has such a method been applied in the last seven or eight years? We will talk with Putin as well about this. We are the ones who best know this region. We are the one who best know what has happened for the past 15 years,” he said....

Continues

God Bless

David

Exit40
Supporting Member

Previous

Return to Prophecy Debate Area