Earthquake watch

Events indicative of the end-times which may, or may not, be related to a specific Scripture.

Re: Earthquake watch

Postby OneDay on Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:09 am

Toronto Earthquakes 2010 A 5.0 Quake Shakes Canada
http://politics-and-world-5678.blogspot ... quake.html
Earthquakes in 2010 have been numerous, and the Toronto Canada quake is only the latest natural disaster. The earthquake in Toronto was strong, and was even felt in parts of Michigan, Chicago, and even Maine. The epicenter was situated in Quebec, at a depth of 12 miles.

The earthquake could have come at a worse time in Canada. A very important political event is set to take place in the city, as the G-20 and G-8 leaders are set to visit Toronto for important meetings next week. If this would have happened during the summit, it would have been a much bigger issue.

The strange thing about this earthquake is that it comes in a region of the world that isn't used to seismic activity. Many of the earthquakes felt this year have come in areas that are used to having the activity such as the Pacific Rim, California, Latin America, and Haiti.
continues...
Exalt the Lord our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the Lord our God is holy.
Psalm 99:9
http://www.acwitness.org/psalm83english.html
OneDay

Postby david on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:04 pm

laney wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100623/wl_canada_afp/canadaearthquake

Rare earthquake shakes Ottawa, Montreal

OTTAWA (AFP) – A strong earthquake shook Ottawa and Montreal in eastern Canada on Wednesday, forcing office workers out onto downtown streets in the nation's capital.

The US Geological Survey reported the temblor of a magnitude of 5.5 hit the Ontario-Quebec border area at 1741 GMT, rattling downtown Ottawa shortly after midday.

The USGS said the epicenter was 61 kilometers (38 miles) north of Ottawa.

AFP journalists witnessed walls in downtown office buildings shook for several seconds. Cracks appeared in the Parliamentary Press Gallery building in Ottawa, and outside. Some people appeared shaken up, but unhurt.

Most downtown Ottawa buildings appeared to have been evacuated as alarms rang out.

James Bowden, a former resident of Alaska who experienced several earthquakes in the US state, was standing in line at a fast-food restaurant on Ottawa's Sparks Street when he said he "heard the earthquake coming a few seconds before it hit."

"It sounded like a freight train barreling towards us," he said.

An avid reader of earthquake sciences, Bowden said Ottawa experiences earthquakes every four or five years. "This one was fairly big," he said.

"It was really... freaky," a pedestrian was overheard saying on her cell phone as she walked by.

More

Earthquake opens chasm on Quebec farmer's land

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/C ... OttawaHome Video
david

Postby david on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:07 pm

California earthquake moved town 31 inches south

California earthquake: NASA radar images show that the powerful quake that struck Baja California in April moved Calexico, a city on the US-Mexico border, some 31 inches to the south.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/0 ... ches-south
david

Postby denise on Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:49 pm

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 60/1/.html

6.9-magnitude earthquake hit the Solomon Islands

26 June 2010

HONIARA: A strong 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck near the Solomon Islands in the western Pacific Saturday, the US Geological Survey (USGS) said, updating its previous estimate of a 7.1-magnitude quake.

No immediate threat of a tsunami was reported.

The quake struck at a depth of about 30 kilometres (19 miles) with an epicentre 40 kilometres southwest of Kira Kira and 224 kilometres southeast of the capital, Honiara, at 4.30 pm (0530 GMT), the USGS said.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued a bulletin saying "no destructive widespread tsunami threat exists based on historical earthquake and tsunami data."

However, it warned earthquakes of such a magnitude "sometimes generate local tsunamis that can be destructive along coasts located within 100 kilometres of the earthquake epicentre.

"Authorities in the region of the epicentre should be aware of this possibility and take action."

BAM!!! Another one!

:shock:
Standfast therefore in the Liberty which Christ has made you free
and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Galations 5:1
denise

Postby daffyladysson on Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:41 am

take a look at all the quakes on the island of crete!
http://www.emsc-csem.org/index.php?page=home
My blog: "unknown possibilities await"
Subject: My decision to leave the Conservative Mennonites
This week's post: Mennonite, Evermore: The positives of what the Conservative Mennonites taught me.
daffyladysson

Postby david on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:38 pm

david wrote:
California earthquake moved town 31 inches south

California earthquake: NASA radar images show that the powerful quake that struck Baja California in April moved Calexico, a city on the US-Mexico border, some 31 inches to the south.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/0 ... ches-south

I hope Jose del Cabo is still there when my wife and I go in August.
david

Postby david on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:46 pm

Italy puts seismology in the dock

Scientists who assessed earthquake risk at L'Aquila could be indicted on manslaughter charges.

The after shock occurred in April of 09. This is being pushed by their president. Off with there heads... :shock:

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100622/ ... 5992a.html
david

Postby Tevye on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:51 am

Earthquake Details
OAXACA, MEXICO
Magnitude 6.2
Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Strong earthquake shakes southern Mexico
MEXICO CITY (AFP) – A strong earthquake centered in the southern state of Oaxaca shook Mexico early Wednesday, the US and Mexican earthquake monitors reported.

The quake, which struck at 2:22 am (0722 GMT), lasted around half a minute and was powerful enough to shake buildings in Mexico City, AFP correspondents reported
Tevye

Postby denise on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:53 am

http://www.kyivpost.com/news/world/detail/71756/

Strong quake hits off Vanuatu, no reports of damage

July 2, 2010

A magnitude 6.4 undersea quake struck off the Pacific Ocean island nation of Vanuatu on Friday, the United States Geological Survey said.

denise

Postby daffyladysson on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:43 am

This week's post: Mennonite, Evermore: The positives of what the Conservative Mennonites taught me.
daffyladysson

Postby in anticipation on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:26 pm

in anticipation

Postby Tevye on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:07 pm

USGS said that today's earthquake was
not an aftershock to to 7.2 Easter Sunday quake.

Instead, today's quake occurred on a strand of the San Jacinto fault,
the most active --and possibly most dangerous -- system in Southern California.

It is possible that today's quake caused shifting on other faults in the region

link
Tevye

Postby denise on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:00 am

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local- ... ss-re.html

Mild earthquake felt across region

The U.S. Geological Survey reported a 3.6 magnitude earthquake centered in Montgomery County at 5:04 a.m. Friday morning.

“We are getting flooded with calls,” a Montgomery County police spokesperson said.

The epicenter was in Gaithersburg at 39.145°N, 77.222°W, the geological agency reported in a preliminary finding. Its depth was 3.1 miles.

Amy Vaughn, a spokesperson for USGS, said the quake was the largest recorded within 50 kilometers of Washington since a database was created to track such activity in 1974. Previously, the largest earthquake reported during that time period was a 2.6 magnitude tremor that occurred in 1990.

"So this is pretty significant for your area," Vaughn said in a telephone interview with WRC-TV (Channel 4).

At the same time, she said, earthquakes are possible anywhere, because of the continual seismic activity under the Earth's crust. "It may be rare and unexpected, but not unheard of," Vaughn said.

Vaughn said USGS was receiving reports from as far away as Pennsylvania from people who had felt the quake. Given the relatively low magnitude of the tremor, she said, it was not likely it caused any significant structural damage.

"It's going to be very widely felt, more than damaging, we suspect," Vaughn said.

Jahi Chikwendiu, a Washington Post photographer, said he heard and felt the tremor at his home in Reston while he was standing in the kitchen. It was strong enough to wake his wife, who was sleeping upstairs, Chikwendiu said.

"I thought it was thunder at first," he said, "until it lasted--for seven seconds or so, I believe."

In one Rockville home, south of the epicenter, the quake manifested itself as a long, slow rumble that was strong enough to wake a sleeping couple but too weak to do any noticeable damage.

denise

Postby daffyladysson on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:36 am

oh bother! you beat me to it! one of my friends felt this quake.
daffyladysson

Postby burien1 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:43 am

I was awake at 5 am, but didn`t feel it here. :grin:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby Loop on Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:43 am

Also interesting another earthquake in Arkansas today and one yesterday, todays:

Date-Time Friday, July 16, 2010 at 10:38:13 UTC
Friday, July 16, 2010 at 05:38:13 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 35.355°N, 92.269°W
Depth 0.1 km (~0.1 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region ARKANSAS
Distances 5 km (3 miles) WSW (237°) from Quitman, AR
7 km (4 miles) ENE (61°) from Guy, AR
13 km (8 miles) E (96°) from Damascus, AR
34 km (21 miles) NNE (29°) from Conway, AR
69 km (43 miles) N (5°) from Little Rock, AR
406 km (252 miles) SSW (207°) from St. Louis, MO

8 miles from Damascus, AR interesting LOL! :wink:
Psalms 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Loop

Postby Tevye on Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:00 am

Interesting timing.

A 5.1 hits near Patmos Island area.
Friday, July 16, 2010 at 04:11:02 AM (EDT)

Magnitude 5.1 earthquake rattles Greek island,
(AP)
ATHENS, Greece -
The Athens Geodynamic Institute says an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.1
has struck in the eastern Aegean Sea, off the holiday island of Kos

emsc-csem.org

Revelation - (video link)
Tevye

Postby Tevye on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:56 am

JAKARTA (Reuters) –
Two big earthquakes struck Papua New Guinea on Sunday
Indonesia's quake agency had issued the tsunami warning after it said a second quake,
of magnitude 7.1, hit 537 km (334 miles) northeast of Papua New Guinea's capital Port Moresby
This followed a deeper earthquake, measured by the U.S. Geological Service at magnitude 7.2,
117 km (73 miles) east of Kandrian on New Britain island in Papua New Guinea
Strong earthquake shakes Alaska
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A powerful earthquake shook a remote Aleutian Island region of Alaska late Saturday,
but there were no reports of damage or injury and no threat of a tsunami, officials said.

The 6.7-magnitude temblor struck at 9:56 p.m. and was centered in the Bering Sea about 155 miles southwest of Dutch Harbor, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The quake hit about 21 miles beneath the seabed
Tevye

Postby burien1 on Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:11 pm

denise wrote:http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/dc/mild-earthquake-felt-across-re.html

Mild earthquake felt across region

The U.S. Geological Survey reported a 3.6 magnitude earthquake centered in Montgomery County at 5:04 a.m. Friday morning.

“We are getting flooded with calls,” a Montgomery County police spokesperson said.

The epicenter was in Gaithersburg at 39.145°N, 77.222°W, the geological agency reported in a preliminary finding. Its depth was 3.1 miles.

Amy Vaughn, a spokesperson for USGS, said the quake was the largest recorded within 50 kilometers of Washington since a database was created to track such activity in 1974. Previously, the largest earthquake reported during that time period was a 2.6 magnitude tremor that occurred in 1990.

"So this is pretty significant for your area," Vaughn said in a telephone interview with WRC-TV (Channel 4).

At the same time, she said, earthquakes are possible anywhere, because of the continual seismic activity under the Earth's crust. "It may be rare and unexpected, but not unheard of," Vaughn said.

Vaughn said USGS was receiving reports from as far away as Pennsylvania from people who had felt the quake. Given the relatively low magnitude of the tremor, she said, it was not likely it caused any significant structural damage.

"It's going to be very widely felt, more than damaging, we suspect," Vaughn said.

Jahi Chikwendiu, a Washington Post photographer, said he heard and felt the tremor at his home in Reston while he was standing in the kitchen. It was strong enough to wake his wife, who was sleeping upstairs, Chikwendiu said.

"I thought it was thunder at first," he said, "until it lasted--for seven seconds or so, I believe."

In one Rockville home, south of the epicenter, the quake manifested itself as a long, slow rumble that was strong enough to wake a sleeping couple but too weak to do any noticeable damage.

And just the day before;
http://www.christianpost.com/article/20100717/traditional-marriage-supporters-fight-for-democracy-in-dc/index.html

DC Conservatives to Take Marriage to High Court
By Nathan Black|Christian Post Reporter

Christians and conservative groups in Washington are determined to take the gay marriage issue to the U.S. Supreme Court after their appeal to let the people vote on the matter was rejected.

"In America, we respect the right to vote. The citizens of the District of Columbia should not have their voices suppressed by the government, but that is exactly what is happening here," said Austin R. Nimocks, senior legal counsel with the Alliance Defense Fund.

In a narrow 5-4 ruling, the D.C. Court of Appeals upheld on Thursday the decision of the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics to block residents from voting on same-sex marriage.
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby Tevye on Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:01 pm

I know this isn't an earthquake,
yet I was reading about the theory
of earth crust displacement and
found this comment posted last March intriguing.
buddy wrote:while many scoff at the 2012 movie scenario i suggest you pull up a world relief map of all eathquakes globaly and look at the recent frequency and magnitude and where they are.if you notice the vast majority are plotted around the pacific rim or the rim of fire,which might suggest that crust displacement has already begun on a small scale..the imperical data is there for you to decipher you be the judge.i for one having reviewed this data think that our days are certainly dwindling.
:eek:
Tevye

Postby MuchAfraid on Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:55 am

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/earthquakes-across-the-us-alaska-hawaii-and-washington-dc/19559423

I can't find the Hawaii earthquakes on another news source, but the Alaskan and DC earthquakes have already been reported elsewhere.
MuchAfraid

Postby learningeachday on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:34 pm

MuchAfraid wrote:http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/earthquakes-across-the-us-alaska-hawaii-and-washington-dc/19559423

I can't find the Hawaii earthquakes on another news source, but the Alaskan and DC earthquakes have already been reported elsewhere.

Wow...that's a lot for the USA for one day! :eek:
learningeachday

Postby Loop on Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Magnitude 5.1 - VANCOUVER ISLAND, CANADA REGION
2010 July 19 17:15:03 UTC
Psalms 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Loop

Postby Spreading Salt on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:35 am

6.0 Indonesia

EQ-20100721-183362-ID Common Alerting Protocol
Magnitude: 6.0
Mercalli scale: 6
Date-Time [UTC]: 21 July, 2010 at 09:16:04 UTC
Local Date/Time: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 at 09:16 in the morning at epicenter
Depth: 88.00 km (54.68 miles)
Region: Indonesian archipelago
Distances: 266.4 km (165.53 miles) of Ternate, Propinsi Maluku
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby denise on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:42 am

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/ ... 15-injured

Magnitude 5.8 quake shakes southern Iran
Jul 21, 2010

denise

Postby Loop on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:01 pm

Psalms 91
Loop

Postby Tevye on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:10 pm

513 earthquakes worldwide over the last week
according to:

http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/Map/jsmap.php
:eek:
Tevye

Postby Spreading Salt on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:13 pm

Earthquake
State: Province of Maguindanao
Date: 2010-07-23 : 22:08:10
Magnitude: 7.1
Depth: 616.00 km
Details

Earthquake
State: Province of Maguindanao
Date: 2010-07-23 : 22:08:11
Magnitude: 6.9
Depth: 605 km
Details

Two back to back whoppers!

Dearest Yeshua,

Please be with the people in this area. Bring them aid and comfort. Amen.
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby Spreading Salt on Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:17 pm

MAG UTC DATE-TIME
y/m/d h:m:s LAT
deg LON
deg DEPTH
km Region
MAP 7.4 2010/07/23 22:51:12 6.482 123.533 575.6 MORO GULF, MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES
MAP 5.4 2010/07/23 22:19:36 6.764 123.545 594.8 MORO GULF, MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES
MAP 7.3 2010/07/23 22:08:11 6.708 123.479 604.5 MORO GULF, MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES

Even higher rating from http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/

:praying:
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby Loop on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Its showing another 7.4

DATE and TIME (UTC) LAT-ITUDE LONG-ITUDE MAG-NITUDE DEPTH km REGION
23-JUL-2010 23:15:08 6.75 123.27 7.4 616.7 MINDANAO, PHILIPPINE ISLANDS
23-JUL-2010 22:51:11 6.48 123.53 7.4 575.6 MINDANAO, PHILIPPINE ISLANDS
23-JUL-2010 22:19:35 6.76 123.54 5.4 594.8 MINDANAO, PHILIPPINE ISLANDS
23-JUL-2010 22:08:11 6.69 123.45 6.9 603.8 MINDANAO, PHILIPPINE ISLANDS
-----
Three major quakes rattle Philippines

MANILA (AFP) – Three major quakes measuring between magnitude 7.3 and 7.4 hit the southern Philippines early Saturday, seismologists said, but there were no reports of damage and no tsunami warning was issued.

The underwater quakes struck at a depth of between 575 and 605 kilometres (350 and 375 miles), just over 100 kilometres southwest of Cotabato, in Mindanao, said the US Geological Survey.

The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said no destructive tsunami was generated by the quakes, the first of which hit at 6:08 am (2208 GMT Friday).

"It was kind of mild," said Monisa Tulawie, a staff member at the Cotabato city mayor's office, who told AFP she felt one of the quakes.

Other residents contacted by phone were unaware of what had happened, saying they had not been woken by the tremors.

"We have received no reports of damage or casualties," said local fire official Marlon Macapili of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, a self-ruled area that includes four provinces around Cotabato.

Seismologist Wilmer Legaspi of the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said the quakes were too deep to cause substantial surface damage, although flimsy structures could be vulnerable.

"It can cause damage to buildings made of light materials," he told AFP.

The Philippines is an archipelago of more than 7,000 islands with many people living in communities close to the sea.

The country sits on the Pacific Ring of Fire, where continental plates meet, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/philippinesquake;_ylt=Aj4BHE3UBg0obfEanhzKQDms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNsdmo3c3U5BGFzc2V0A2FmcC8yMDEwMDcyNC9waGlsaXBwaW5lc3F1YWtlBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDNARwb3MDMQRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA3RocmVlbWFqb3JxdQ--
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby daffyladysson on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:48 pm

:shock:
daffyladysson

Postby Loop on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:30 am

Magnitude 2.4 - WEST VIRGINIA

Date-Time Saturday, July 24, 2010 at 09:15:44 UTC
Saturday, July 24, 2010 at 05:15:44 AM at epicenter

Location 38.675°N, 80.820°W
Depth 2.3 km (1.4 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region WEST VIRGINIA
Distances 4 km (3 miles) W (277°) from Gassaway, WV
10 km (6 miles) W (277°) from Sutton, WV
15 km (10 miles) WSW (251°) from Flatwoods, WV
62 km (39 miles) SW (236°) from Buckhannon, WV
209 km (130 miles) SSW (200°) from Pittsburgh, PA

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/sehnw0724c.php
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby daffyladysson on Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:39 pm

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... hp#details

what is with these earthquakes following obama around.
World leader meeting in canada... earthquake
then the dc quake
now a quake close to where obama was vacationing.... hmmmm.... :humm:
daffyladysson

Postby Loop on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:28 am

Magnitude 5.2 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes)
Date-Time Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 16:12:10 UTC
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 09:12:10 AM at epicenter

Location 43.815°N, 125.619°W
Depth 33 km (20.5 miles) set by location program
Region OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
Distances 117 km (72 miles) W (278°) from Winchester Bay, OR
118 km (73 miles) WNW (297°) from Barview, OR
119 km (74 miles) WNW (283°) from Lakeside, OR
121 km (76 miles) WNW (294°) from Coos Bay, OR
203 km (126 miles) W (263°) from Eugene, OR
303 km (188 miles) SW (232°) from Portland, OR

Hmmm! now it says 5.3

Magnitude 5.3
Date-Time Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 16:12:06 UTC
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 09:12:06 AM at epicenter

Location 43.770°N, 125.802°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
Distances 135 km (85 miles) WNW of Coos Bay, Oregon
170 km (105 miles) SW of Newport, Oregon
210 km (130 miles) WNW of Roseburg, Oregon
255 km (160 miles) WSW of SALEM, Oregon
Last edited by Loop on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby Loop on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:31 am

Magnitude 5.0
Date-Time Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 12:07:47 UTC
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 04:07:47 AM at epicenter

Location 52.766°N, 169.398°W
Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program
Region FOX ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA
Distances 40 km (25 miles) WSW of Nikolski, Alaska
85 km (55 miles) E of Yunaska Island, Alaska
1500 km (930 miles) WSW of Anchorage, Alaska
2265 km (1410 miles) W of JUNEAU, Alaska

-------------------------

Magnitude 5.5
Date-Time Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 11:31:50 UTC
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 03:31:50 AM at epicenter

Location 52.683°N, 169.309°W
Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program
Region FOX ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS, ALASKA
Distances 40 km (25 miles) SW of Nikolski, Alaska
90 km (55 miles) E of Yunaska Island, Alaska
1515 km (940 miles) WSW of Anchorage, Alaska
2265 km (1410 miles) W of JUNEAU, Alaska
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby Spreading Salt on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:15 am

Earthquake
State: Propinsi Maluku
Date: 2010-08-03 : 12:08:30
Magnitude: 6.5
Depth: 87.00 km
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

Postby daffyladysson on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Magnitude 3.0 - LOUISIANA

why have i not heard about this in the media?
Magnitude 3.0
Date-Time

* Monday, August 02, 2010 at 04:34:29 UTC
* Sunday, August 01, 2010 at 11:34:29 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 30.815°N, 90.855°W
Depth 0.4 km (~0.2 mile) set by location program
Region LOUISIANA
Distances

* 16 km (10 miles) ESE (109°) from Clinton, LA
* 18 km (11 miles) W (265°) from Greensburg, LA
* 24 km (15 miles) NW (308°) from Montpelier, LA
* 48 km (30 miles) NE (35°) from Baton Rouge, LA
* 121 km (75 miles) NW (321°) from New Orleans, LA

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST= 16, Nph= 16, Dmin=159 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp=184°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=7
Source

* Center for Earthquake Research and Information, Memphis, Tennessee, USA

Event ID us2010zlai

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... hp#details
daffyladysson

Postby Loop on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:02 pm

DATE and TIME (UTC) LAT-ITUDE LONG-ITUDE MAG-NITUDE DEPTH km REGION
04-AUG-2010 12:58:27 51.42 -178.57 6.3 44.0 ANDREANOF ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN IS.
04-AUG-2010 10:47:50 52.70 -169.45 4.5 10.5 FOX ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS
04-AUG-2010 10:42:59 52.61 -169.33 4.3 16.4 FOX ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby Loop on Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:28 pm

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude 7.0
Date-Time Wednesday, August 04, 2010 at 22:01:45 UTC
Thursday, August 05, 2010 at 08:01:45 AM at epicenter

Location 5.804°S, 150.767°E
Depth 54 km (33.6 miles)
Region NEW BRITAIN REGION, PAPUA NEW GUINEA
Distances 75 km (45 miles) ESE of Kimbe, New Britain, PNG
140 km (90 miles) ENE of Kandrian, New Britain, PNG
565 km (350 miles) NE of PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea
2415 km (1500 miles) N of BRISBANE, Queensland, Australia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 6.4 km (4.0 miles); depth +/- 16.1 km (10.0 miles)
Parameters NST=112, Nph=112, Dmin=563.2 km, Rmss=1.1 sec, Gp= 32°,
M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2010zncq
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby Loop on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:23 pm

Mag. 4.8
Date-Time Thursday, August 05, 2010 at 00:04:17 UTC
Wednesday, August 04, 2010 at 06:04:17 PM at epicenter

Location 43.585°N, 110.440°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
Region WYOMING
Distances 30 km (20 miles) ENE of Jackson, Wyoming
65 km (40 miles) W of Dubois, Wyoming
95 km (60 miles) NNW of Pinedale, Wyoming
535 km (335 miles) WNW of CHEYENNE, Wyoming

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 6.4 km (4.0 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 41, Nph= 41, Dmin=13.6 km, Rmss=1.29 sec, Gp= 50°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=7
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby Loop on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:25 pm

04-AUG-2010 23:48:02 45.96 153.22 6.0 33.6 EAST OF KURIL ISLANDS

Lots of Earthquakes tonight..
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby Exit40 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:06 pm

Does anyone know if there have been more than usual earthquakes in central and eastern US since the oil leak ? Just curious.

God Bless

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Reborn on Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:49 pm

David, I keep track of that area. While the overall number of quakes for that area didn't go down (they actually increased) the amount of larger quakes (greater than 3.0 quakes) did go down. Another thing that went down was the number of different states that were having the quakes. One other weird thing too, the months of June and July saw AR's quakes go absolutely nuts. For example, in June out of 68 total quakes for the entire area, almost 50 of those occurred in AR.
Reborn

Postby daffyladysson on Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:36 pm

daffyladysson

Postby denise on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:01 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38673221/ns ... -americas/

Magnitude 7.1 quake rattles Ecuador
Several houses reported damaged in the cities of Guayaquil and Manta

denise

Postby Kedo on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:45 pm

Another one today in the pacific ocean,

An earthquake of 7.2 magnitude has hit the Mariana Islands region, in the north-western Pacific Ocean, some 375 kilometres west of the US territory of Guam, US geologists say.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/7944983/7-2-magnitude-quake-strikes-off-mariana
Kedo

Postby Justasheep on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 pm

I still think it's accurate to say that 2010 has been an extraordinary year for significant seismic activity.

I pull all my data from:
http://www.iris.edu/servlet/eventserver/map.do
this is a powerful tool that allows users to select very specific activity, depth, magnitude date ranges and see all the events that fall into their select criteria.

When I look at 2010, for recorded events of magnitude 6 or greater, there have been 127 events year to date.

If I annualize that number (# of events/number days passed already)*365 days in the year - I get a projection that there will be about 199 events of magnitude 6 or greater this year assuming the trend holds up. I started doing these projections back in March - and all year the trend has held at projecting between 220 and 200 events for the year.

This is really significant, because if I look at each of the last twenty years of IRIS data, the most ever recorded # of events greater than 6 in one year was 154 in 2007. A typical year over the last twenty has been somewhere around 115-120 events. So I ask, when are we going to admit that an increase of 30% over the previous maximum or almost 70% over the norm is a significant increase in significant earthquakes?
:sheep:

Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth. Rev 3:10
Justasheep

Postby Loop on Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:40 am

In Braxton, there's a whole lotta shakin' going on

FRAMETOWN, W.Va. -- What's shaking in Braxton County these days?

For the past five months, pretty much everything - especially the area surrounding the communities of Frametown and Gassaway.

Since April 4, eight small earthquakes have been recorded in Braxton County, and another two in nearby Lewis and Upshur counties. The seismic events ranged in magnitude from 2.2 to 3.4 - not strong enough to cause significant damage, but powerful enough to rattle shelves, awaken sleepers and stimulate speculation as to their origin.

"It's been the big talk of the town," said Geneva Flint, who works at Granny's Kitchen in Frametown. "People would come here and discuss the earthquakes and wonder about what's causing them - but we've had so many now, it's starting to get a little old."

In the Frametown area, the most memorable tremor was the first in this year's series - a 3.4 magnitude quake that took place at 5:10 a.m. on April 4, which was Easter Sunday.

"I thought a tree had fallen on the house," said Lynette Grantham, who lives between Frametown and Gassaway. When she investigated and found that it hadn't, she went online and learned that an earthquake had been recorded.

Because noticeable tremors are such rare occurrences in the area, "Everyone I've talked to thought they were crazy for feeling something that night, until they found out it was an earthquake," Grantham said.

The April 4 earthquake, with an epicenter a few miles west of Frametown, was followed by three quakes on April 29, each of them also centered within a few miles of Frametown and Gassaway. On May 7 and 8, quakes measuring magnitude 2.6 and 2.8, with epicenters on both sides of Interstate 79 near the Servia rest area, were recorded, followed by temblors of magnitude 2.4 and 2.2 on July 24 and 25, both centered just west of Gassaway.

On Aug. 15, a magnitude-2.5 quake was recorded near the community of Ireland, about two miles inside Lewis County from the Braxton County line. A similar size quake took place Aug. 21 a few miles to the southeast at a point just inside the Upshur County boundary near Kanawha Head.

Among area residents puzzled by the profusion of earthquakes in a seismically quiet area was Braxton Citizens' News publisher Ed Given.

"I'm 60, and I've lived here all my life," he said, "and never heard of any earthquakes happening here."

As the quakes continued, Given tried to identify something different taking place in his county that could be related to the increased seismic activity.

More-

http://wvgazette.com/News/201008280386
Psalms 91
Loop

Postby Exit40 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks Reborn.

God Bless you

David
Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Exit40
Supporting Member

Postby Spreading Salt on Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:44 am

Date-Time

* Friday, September 03, 2010 at 16:35:44 UTC
* Saturday, September 04, 2010 at 04:35:44 AM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 43.332°S, 172.438°E
Depth 16.1 km (10.0 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND
Distances 30 km (20 miles) NW of Christchurch, New Zealand
190 km (115 miles) SSE of Westport, New Zealand
295 km (185 miles) SW of WELLINGTON, New Zealand
320 km (200 miles) NNE of Dunedin, New Zealand

Check out the city it is close to...l.....Christchurch! :angel:

Come Lord! Shake Your Church today!
Spreading Salt
Supporting Member

PreviousNext

Return to SIGNS