Republican Debate 9/22/2011...what was your reaction?

General discussion of candidates' campaign issues

Republican Debate 9/22/2011...what was your reaction?

Postby SueAnn on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:56 am

I thought last night's debate on FoxNews was the best one yet. If you watched it I would like to know what you heard that you liked, or disliked, and why.

Sorry, but if you did not watch the debate I would prefer you not post your opinion of the candidates in this thread. There are other threads where you can voice your opinion. And, of course, you are welcome to start another thread.

I'll get the ball rolling.

I was very impressed with Herman Cain. I liked his explanation of his 9-9-9 tax plan. I liked his personal explanation of why Obamacare is so dangerous. This man is deliciously down-to-earth. Yet he is no one's fool. I am considering volunteering to work in his campaign, if he continues.

Rick Perry completely lost my vote. His pathetic explanation of why he passed a law in Texas to give the children of illegal immigrants deep discounts for college...while continuing to charge American kids of American citizens full tuition completely turned my stomach. In that moment he sounded like Obama. This man is supposed to be a Republican? If he is, I will eat my hat.

Romney <sigh> I have this horrible feeling that he is going to be running againt Obama. I HATE the way he totally disregards the question asked and talks about what HE wants to talk about. I think the audience should be given remote control devices that will turn off the microphone of any candidate that does what Romney does continuously.

Gary Johnson. I was impressed with him. I wish he would get more media attention. I would like to see more of him.
ﺗﻜﻮﻳﻦ 12
وَقَالَ الرَّبُّ لأَبْرَامَ: «اتْرُكْ أَرْضَكَ وَعَشِيرَتَكَ وَبَيْتَ أَبِيكَ وَاذْهَبْ إِلَى الأَرْضِ الَّتِي أُرِيكَ،
فَأَجْعَلَ مِنْكَ أُمَّةً كَبِيرَةً وَأُبَارِكَكَ وَأُعَظِّمَ اسْمَكَ، وَتَكُونَ بَرَكَةً (لِكَثِيرِينَ).
َأُبَارِكُ مُبَارِكِيكَ وَأَلْعَنُ لاعِنِيكَ، وَتَتَبَارَكُ فِيكَ جَمِيعُ أُمَمِ الأَرْضِ »
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Re: Republican Debate 9/22/2011...what was your reaction?

Postby aaron on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:01 pm

There's lots of contenders but the media portrays only a 3 way race between Bachman, Romney and Perry, with the limelight falling on Perry. I wonder if he isn't pre-selected, the media seems to favor him and the Obama camp thinks they have an edge on Perry and seem to favor him getting the GOP ticket. Someone on Facebook commented that Perry talks like he's practicing in front of a mirror. :lol: Now every time I see Perry talking, I can't help but picture him practicing in front of a mirror, and after reading this ... you will too!! :grin:
Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
-1 Timothy 6:12
aaron

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:11 pm

I was very impressed with Herman Cain.

I have to agree. The man exudes confidence and doesn't seem to resort to snide nitpicking at the other candidates. He never falters when asked a question, and his replies are down-to-earth and reasonable. He's been vocal about his religious beliefs (Baptist) and is strongly anti-abortion.

I'm unimpressed with both Perry and Romney as they seem to contradict previous views and their constant put-downs of one another seems an excuse to avoid a direct response of their own. It seems they can't focus on anything except immigration and social security. Not that those aren't important issues, it's just they haven't presented a feasible solution I do have strong reservations about Romney being a Mormon although he seems to think it should be immaterial to voters.

I agree with you that I'd like to hear more from Gary Johnson. In fact, I must admit I know little about him, but I'll not likely forget his remark about his two dogs. :mrgreen:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby mrgravyard49 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Yes I Like Mr Cain Alot but truth is it will be Perry vs Obama.. But I Still think we wont have a country by next year..
mrgravyard49

Postby SueAnn on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:07 pm

Abiding in His Word wrote:
I agree with you that I'd like to hear more from Gary Johnson. In fact, I must admit I know little about him, but I'll not likely forget his remark about his two dogs. :mrgreen:

I loved that too!
ﺗﻜﻮﻳﻦ 12
وَقَالَ الرَّبُّ لأَبْرَامَ: «اتْرُكْ أَرْضَكَ وَعَشِيرَتَكَ وَبَيْتَ أَبِيكَ وَاذْهَبْ إِلَى الأَرْضِ الَّتِي أُرِيكَ،
فَأَجْعَلَ مِنْكَ أُمَّةً كَبِيرَةً وَأُبَارِكَكَ وَأُعَظِّمَ اسْمَكَ، وَتَكُونَ بَرَكَةً (لِكَثِيرِينَ).
َأُبَارِكُ مُبَارِكِيكَ وَأَلْعَنُ لاعِنِيكَ، وَتَتَبَارَكُ فِيكَ جَمِيعُ أُمَمِ الأَرْضِ »
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby SueAnn on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:09 pm

mrgravyard49 wrote:Yes I Like Mr Cain Alot but truth is it will be Perry vs Obama.. But I Still think we wont have a country by next year..

What did you hear that causes you to believe Perry will win the Primaries?
ﺗﻜﻮﻳﻦ 12
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Postby brandon on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:17 am

Just thought I would share with you an opinion piece on the facts of Perry's immigration record vs what is being debated about publicy.

Basically, the law signed in Texas gives access to the children of illegal immigrants who (when born inside the United States) are given citizenship automatically.

Despite what the unusually angry Rick Santorum offered, all the legislation did was allow those children (NOT ILLEGAL ALIENS AT LARGE) to get the same "starting point" for in state institutions that all of their classmates got.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/09/24/perrys-rivals-are-telling-untruths-about-governor-and-immigration/#ixzz1YyPqPB00

I'm certainly all Herman Cain at this point. However, the absolute bludgeon-fest that's happening in the debates right now is disgusting political pandering. It's all designed as a purity test that no reasonable candidate would be able to pass. For all of the love of Reagan we see today, he wouldn't be able to even get close to being able pass conservative purity tests.

Let's debate the issues honestly.
brandon

Postby good4u1 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:19 pm

This is old news as of now...but interesting anyway.

In the FL straw poll...The Hermantor won it. A little respect for him now, please other candidates. :clap2:
good4u1

Return to U.S. Presidential Election 2012