Are you easy prey for false prophets? (redux)

Latest prophecy related news.

Are you easy prey for false prophets? (redux)

Postby Abiding in His Word on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Are you easy prey for false prophets? (redux) - Holly

The following post was first published on my blog on August 23, 2013. With the rise of men and women calling themselves prophets, many people need to hear its warning more than ever.

The Bible is clear: false prophets are wolves that devour unsuspecting sheep.

Jesus said:

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.” (Matthew 7:15)

And the apostle Paul had this to say about false teachers.

“I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them.” (Acts 20:29-30).

Despite these clear warnings from an apostle and even Jesus himself, many people are still naive to the threat. So, my question for you is, “Are you easy prey for false prophets?”

The answer is yes if any of the following statements–drawn from Scripture–describe you.

* You think God won’t allow you to be deceived. I’ve often heard it said, by people in the New Apostolic Reformation movement, that we should not worry about false prophets because God will not allow His people to be deceived. But if you believe you can’t be deceived, then you are ignoring numerous warnings in Scripture about the need to guard against false prophets and false teachers (Matthew 7:15; Acts 20:29-30; 2 Peter 2:1).

* You are overly impressed by the miraculous. Many people are so dazzled by miracles they automatically assume the miracle-worker must have been sent from God. If this describes you, then you are in danger of falling victim to false prophets who, according to Scripture, will perform “great signs and wonders” (Matthew 24:24; Revelation 13:11-15).

* You don’t know sound principles of biblical interpretation. You may read the Bible and think you know it well. But you have not done the hard work of learning how to read it correctly using the historical-grammatical approach. This means that you rip verses out of context or spiritualize them when they are meant to be taken at face value. Anyone who reads the Bible in these ways is susceptible to being lead astray by false prophets (2 Peter 3:15-17).

continues at Spirit of Error
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Re: Are you easy prey for false prophets? (redux)

Postby Resurrection Torchlight on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Interesting, our pastor just preached from 2 Peter 2 today on this very topic, he made some of the same points.

Often believers do not recognize deception, because it can be so subtle, just a slight deviation from the truth. A subtle doubt planted that questions the way something has been interpreted, just like the serpent asked Eve, "Did the Lord really say? "

We have to study God's word so that we know what it says and why we believe as we do.

RT
Resurrection Torchlight

Postby Mr Baldy on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:50 am

Resurrection Torchlight wrote:We have to study God's word so that we know what it says and why we believe as we do.

:a3:

This is a fascinating article!

Deception is REAL.......

Through God, Scripture ordains ruling Authorities as Governing entities on Earth (Romans 13). Problem is people want something that is tangible - that they can see, touch, and feel. Words are very, very, powerful. Look at how Hitler was able to rise to Power and get a multitude of people to worship him - and call him "Fuhrer". It began with SPEECH. But he was not only a leader to them, some worshiped him as god.

I look at modern day politics. Folk fight over whom should be in office, even to the point of serious injury or death. It's ridiculous. Man is always looking for someone to worship, to include himself, or some inanimate object . Even during the presidential election there are those who were looking to put a "Savior in the White House." Problem is, we cannot put our Faith in man - as he will lead you astray every time.

When I think of deception, and how some are easily deceived, I'm reminded of the days when I was a police officer, (Now retired THANK GOD :mrgreen: .) But I remember responding to calls for service at places that had large gatherings of people. Several incidences were calls to night clubs, where gun shots were fired - which most of the time was initiated by verbal assaults, subsequently turning physical. People would be influenced by what can be associated with a "mob mentality." I recall arresting people for getting into brawls and other crimes that they otherwise would not have been involved in had they not been influenced by others.

Those who follow man, with a "Cult of Personality" type mentality are bound to be deceived. I think that we as believers in Christ should have our thinking rooted and grounded in Scripture. Not following any man. Not being concerning about who the President is - or not getting "caught up into the things of this World", but putting our trust in the Lord.
Mr Baldy

Postby crosimoto on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:16 am

The Bible presses a point: "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." This is a wide statement that poses at least a few questions and deep contemplation. Not everyone has "ears to hear"...but some do. How did the ones that DO, get their ears to hear? The Bible encourages to study and watch - Is this how we get ears to hear?
Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Do I have to have ears to hear before I get faith? Is it simple deductive reasoning or a situation where we oversimplify the Text in search for an easy answer?
In all of this reasoning, questioning and looking to see - I believe that "How should we then live?" falls into the parameters of the Grace of a loving God who has NO GREATER DESIRE to hear that His children walk in truth. AND that would have humble hearts that realize that we have a clever, smart and cunning enemy. Uncovering the work of the enemy isn't something that only The Spirit can illuminate. So with the attitude of the Bereans, and being built up on our most holy faith as prescribed in Jude and adding to our faith everything set forth in 2 Peter 1 -and understanding the health value in being cautious and suspicious; this seems the best way to handle the real and present danger of deceivers looking to deceive.
crosimoto

Postby Abiding in His Word on Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:45 am

Good seeing you again, crosimoto! :grin:
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 pm

crosimoto wrote:The Bible presses a point: "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." This is a wide statement that poses at least a few questions and deep contemplation. Not everyone has "ears to hear"...but some do. How did the ones that DO, get their ears to hear? The Bible encourages to study and watch - Is this how we get ears to hear?
Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Do I have to have ears to hear before I get faith? Is it simple deductive reasoning or a situation where we oversimplify the Text in search for an easy answer?
In all of this reasoning, questioning and looking to see - I believe that "How should we then live?" falls into the parameters of the Grace of a loving God who has NO GREATER DESIRE to hear that His children walk in truth. AND that would have humble hearts that realize that we have a clever, smart and cunning enemy. Uncovering the work of the enemy isn't something that only The Spirit can illuminate. So with the attitude of the Bereans, and being built up on our most holy faith as prescribed in Jude and adding to our faith everything set forth in 2 Peter 1 -and understanding the health value in being cautious and suspicious; this seems the best way to handle the real and present danger of deceivers looking to deceive.

Nice explanation of the process of walking with the Lord to avoid deception, crosimoto.

It's simple, to me, how we get ears to hear.....we focus on the Lord, surrender to and seek His Will in our lives, and think on Him all the time, which keeps us praying, reading the Word and walking with Him. Fellowship with the Living God begins with a one on one relationship, and knowing Him FIRST in our lives means we hear and see Him in our lives and in our thinking and in our spirit......
That said, crosimoto's answer addresses the answer via parts of various scriptures, which is the absolute answer.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Mr Baldy on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:05 pm

GodsStudent wrote:crosimoto's answer addresses the answer via parts of various scriptures, which is the absolute answer.

It's simple, to me, how we get ears to hear.....we focus on the Lord, surrender to and seek His Will in our lives, and think on Him all the time, which keeps us praying, reading the Word and walking with Him.

Hummmm :humm:

Very interesting that you should make the aforementioned comments Lisa - as here are some additional questions that Crosimoto mentions:

crosimoto wrote:The Bible presses a point: "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." This is a wide statement that poses at least a few questions and deep contemplation.

crosimoto wrote:Not everyone has "ears to hear"...but some do. How did the ones that DO, get their ears to hear?

crosimoto wrote:The Bible encourages to study and watch - Is this how we get ears to hear?

Now, not to open up a can of worms here :mrgreen: ......but ALL Scripture is for:

2 Timothy 3:16 - New American Standard Bible (NASB)

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness

So.......in the aforementioned questions that Crosimoto asks, one has to take a closer look at Scripture and apply what has been written.

Now, let's take a look at what Paul has to say about those who have "ears to hear" - AND is "to study and watch" the way that we get these incredible ears to hear :humm:

Paul mentions this in Romans 9:

Romans 9:15-24 - New American Standard Bible (NASB)

15) For He says to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16) So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy. 17) For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I raised you up, to demonstrate My power in you, and that My name might be proclaimed throughout the whole earth.” 18) So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires. 19) You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?” 20) On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, “Why did you make me like this,” will it? 21) Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? 22)What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? 23) And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, 24 ) even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles.

The aforementioned passage of Scripture identifies Predestination - and the fact that it does not depend on how much a man may will to have salvation - but strictly on the Mercy of God. This is a classic passage of Scripture that those who follow "Reformed Theology" use to determine who are the "Elect". This also falls in line with the question on whether or not the Elect can be deceived, or "IF" hearing the Word of God, and our own self initiated studies will truly "keep us" as far as being saved and "having the ears to hear".

Not disagreeing with the responses - just putting Scripture there to provide some additional thought :mrgreen:
Mr Baldy

Postby Resurrection Torchlight on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:24 am

As for having ears to hear..... Let's not forget that when we become children of God we are filled with the Holy Spirit, our hearts are cleansed, we receive the "mind of Christ" I would venture to say that those who are redeemed have ears to hear with, spiritual ears of the children of God.

RT
Resurrection Torchlight

Postby GodsStudent on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:10 am

Agreed, RT.
Mr. Baldy, as long as I am seeking the Lord, regardless of His Will for me, and the whole predestination thing apart, I believe I am ok. I thought about responding to your response more thoroughly, but honestly, I dont think I need to. I am satisfied with my answer and also satisfied that whatever the Lord's Will for me, and however things go, I am seeking His Will, reading His Word, and walking side by side with Him. I am AOK.
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Mr Baldy on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Resurrection Torchlight wrote: As for having ears to hear..... Let's not forget that when we become children of God we are filled with the Holy Spirit, our hearts are cleansed, we receive the "mind of Christ" I would venture to say that those who are redeemed have ears to hear with, spiritual ears of the children of God.

GodsStudent wrote:Agreed, RT.
Mr. Baldy, as long as I am seeking the Lord, regardless of His Will for me, and the whole predestination thing apart, I believe I am ok. I thought about responding to your response more thoroughly, but honestly, I dont think I need to. I am satisfied with my answer and also satisfied that whatever the Lord's Will for me, and however things go, I am seeking His Will, reading His Word, and walking side by side with Him. I am AOK.

I think that you both may be missing the point here - and the purpose in which I posted the passages of Scripture that were mentioned.

Point is, if you have "hears to hear" then it did not come from your own doing - it is a blessing from God.

God bless you both!
Mr Baldy

Return to What you think (About news)