Why Bill Johnson says the Bible is not enough - Holly

Latest prophecy related news.

Postby Abiding in His Word on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:12 pm

One of the core beliefs at Bethel Church in Redding, California, is the need for new revelation from God, which is in contrast to the so-called old revelation of the Bible as it has been understood for the past 2,000 years.

New revelation can refer to many different things. It includes knowledge about what’s currently taking place in heaven and new interpretations of Scripture that are based on direct revelation from the Holy Spirit, apart from a historical and grammatical hermeneutic. It also includes what Johnson calls “new revelation of Jesus.” And it includes creative ideas–such as fresh music lyrics that will result in mass conversions to Christianity and breakthrough inventions in science and medicine.

However, Bethel’s teachings about the need for new revelation inevitably shift the focus away from the written Word of God in Scripture, insofar as it has been understood for the past two millennia. Their teachings also place Bethel outside of historic Protestant Christianity, based on the 16th century Protestant Reformation, which has taught that the church is to look to Scripture–not new revelations–for its beliefs and practices.

On this note, consider that even Pentecostals and charismatics–who believe in present-day miraculous gifts of the Holy Spirit, such as the gift of prophecy–have held that the Bible contains all that is necessary for living the Christian life. See, for example, a position paper published by the Assemblies of God—the world’s largest Pentecostal denomination—which upholds the sufficiency of Scripture. It’s titled “The Inspiration, Inerrancy, and Authority of Scripture.” And see the post written by charismatic theologian Wayne Grudem titled “The Bible is enough.”

But, clearly, Bethel leaders disagree that the Bible is enough. To show you what Bethel teaches about new revelation, take a look at these words written by its senior leader, Bill Johnson.

continues at Spirit of Error
Abiding in His Word
SITE ADMIN

Re: Why Bill Johnson says the Bible is not enough - Holly

Postby sacredcowbasher on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:03 pm

“It is absolutely impossible to live the normal Christian life without receiving regular revelation from God.” (The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind, page 58) This is a quote from Bill Johnson.

If what Bill means by ‘regular revelation’ is seeing God in our brothers and sisters, or in nature, or in His word, or feeling His presence during prayer, that is one thing. I don’t believe Bill means this however.

I think he is meaning revelation along the lines of the apostle Paul when he breaks in during a letter and says, behold, I show you a mystery .... . The apostle Paul received the revelation of the meaning of new covenant living from Jesus Christ Himself while in the Arabian desert. All that the blood of Jesus affords us can be found in the Epistles.

What Bill is proclaiming is hogwash. I don’t believe he knows how to live the Christian life at all. They are not willing to humble themselves, deny themselves, take up their cross, and follow Jesus. The Jesus that they do follow is one that they have made up for themselves. It is another Jesus and another gospel. They think more highly of themselves than they ought.
Gal 2: 14-19 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law ( the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus ), died to the law ( the law of sin and death ) that I might live to God. Parenthetical remarks added are mine.
sacredcowbasher

Return to What you think (About news)