US shield blunts Israeli military option on Iran

Latest prophecy related news.

US shield blunts Israeli military option on Iran

Postby OBXBOB on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:36 am

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://today.reuters.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=uri:2006-02-09T135039Z_01_L09764669_RTRUKOC_0_US-ISRAEL-USA-IRAN.xml&pageNumber=0&summit=">today.reuters.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=uri:2006-02-09T135039Z_01_L09764669_RTRUKOC_0_US-ISRAEL-USA-IRAN.xml&pageNumber=0&summit=</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br>
<br>
US shield blunts Israeli military option on Iran<br>
Thu Feb 9, 2006 8:50 AM ET <br>
<br>
By Dan Williams - Analysis<br>
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel has long pursued a policy of preemptive attack as its preferred form of defense.<br>
<br>
But when it comes to tackling arch-foe Iran, that option may have been put on hold under a protective "umbrella" on offer from the United States.<br>
<br>
After years of speculation on whether Israel could launch unilateral strikes on the Iranian nuclear program, some experts now see a major shift in the Jewish state's strategy.<br>
<br>
At the core of the change was a vow by U.S. President George W. Bush, in a Reuters interview last week, to "rise to Israel's defense" in the face of increasingly tough talk from Tehran.<br>
<br>
Bush's phrasing, with its overtones of Israeli dependency, departed from the language of past U.S. pledges that focused on preserving Israel's military superiority over Middle East foes.<br>
<br>
Given U.S. efforts to curb Iran's nuclear plans through international diplomacy, experts say Israel will have to shelve any plans for region-rattling, go-it-alone missions like its 1981 bombing sortie against Iraq's atomic reactor at Osiraq.<br>
<br>
This thinking is bolstered by the Bush pledge's echoes of Cold War pacts -- NATO in Europe, the "nuclear umbrella" over Japan -- which defended U.S. allies against the Soviets while obligating them to get Washington's nod for any military moves.<br>
<br>
"In political life there are no free lunches, and Bush's statements have a price. They remove the possibility -- if there ever was one -- of Israel taking matters into its own hands," wrote Aluf Benn, diplomatic correspondent for the influential Israeli newspaper Haaretz.<br>
<br>
"The decision if and when to act against Iran will be made in the White House, not in the underground headquarters of the (Israeli military command) General Staff."<br>
<br>
A senior Israeli official, who asked not to be named, acknowledged that Bush's pledge took bilateral ties to "a new level", but said Israel had not promised anything in return.<br>
<br>
Asked if Israel was considering military action on Iran, he said: "Our policy is to follow the U.S. lead in this matter."<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
OBXBOB

Re: US shield blunts Israeli military option on Iran

Postby sherrimae on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:45 am

I don't think we can stop Israel from taking unilateral action. I sure hope we don't try to do that. Especially if not attacking Iran eventually leads to more Israeli deaths from terrorism. <p></p><i></i>
sherrimae

Postby farmboyinthesticks on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>
I don't think we can stop Israel from taking unilateral action.<br>
<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>
I'm pretty sure It would be the last thing we do as a Global Super Power. <p>FarmBoy</p><i></i>
farmboyinthesticks

Postby sherrimae on Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:21 am

Farmboy,<br>
<br>
I think you are right about that! Hopefully, our leadership won't make such a big mistake. <p></p><i></i>
sherrimae

Return to What you think (About news)