Art?: Chirst like body Bin Laden face

Latest prophecy related news.

Art?: Chirst like body Bin Laden face

Postby DP on Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:15 am

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Our interest in this story was sparked by an angry email sent to us here at WCBSTV.com. The writer wasn't angry at us, but rather about what he'd seen at the current National Black Fine Art Show in the Puck Building. This is the 10th anniversary edition of the show which features galleries from across the country selling the works of America's top African American painters, sculptors, and photographers. <br>
<br>
But the writer had big problems with a painting by Harlem artist "Tafa". It depicts an upside down Christ-like figure with a face strongly resembling Osama Bin Laden. The email read in part, "This is outrageous. This is an attack against my religion. How can an artist go so low? Most people are outraged, most Christians." <br>
<br>
On the phone with me, the artist declined to do an on-camera interview, telling me the work speaks for itself, but adding, the resemblance to Bin Laden was no accident.<br>
<br>
The art show's producer Josh Wainwright, insisted he hadn't even made the Bin Laden connection. "Knowing what you know now would you have barred the painting from being part of your show?" I asked. "Absolutely not," he replied. Wainwright says he's a military veteran and despises Bin Laden, but he added, "I don't think it's anyone's job or vocation to limit the expression of artists."<br>
<br>
While some at the show did recognize the Bin Laden face on the Christ body, we found none who were offended. Instead most defended "Tafa" the artist's right to speak his mind. The painting is bordered with hand lettered expressions and names including "mujahadin," "McCarthyism," and "Amadou Diallo," a man killed by New York City police in 1999. <br>
<br>
You could take the painting out of circulation, or not, for a mere $12,000 and change. You can see the painting, or not, by visiting the show which runs through Sunday. Daily admission is $15.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>
<br>
<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_033162841.html" target="top">Link</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--> <p>---------------<br>
“Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight” (Psalm 144:1)</p><i></i>
DP

Return to What you think (About news)