Christian Science

Discussion and debate of Religions that contradict scripture

Christian Science

Postby nickylouse on Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:56 am

Does anyone have anything from the source about heresies of Christian Science or the Church of Christ, Scientist? Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry has this (read here) to say about it. Other than the following quotes from the Church of Christ, Scientist website, I cannot find any doctrinal statements about what they believe.

Here are the vague quotes:
Christian Science, discovered by Mary Baker Eddy, is a universal, practical system of spiritual, prayer-based Christian healing, available and accessible to everyone.

Christian Science is fully explained in Mary Baker Eddy’s primary text on spirituality and healing, "Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures".

Christian Science has helped many people find better emotional and physical health, answers to life’s deepest issues and progress on their spiritual journeys.

link

If I have to buy a book to know what they believe, perhaps I have already discovered what it is they believe.
nickylouse

Postby RomaLynnStar on Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:27 pm

Mary Baker Eddy at a Glance
Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science
Healer and pioneer of a reliable, widely practiced system of prayer-based healing
Author of a groundbreaking book on spirituality and healing, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, which has sold over 10 million copies to date
President and founder of a teaching college, the Massachusetts Metaphysical College, which continues to prepare teachers of Christian Science
Founder of a publishing house whose products include numerous books, weekly and monthly magazines, a foreign language magazine, and a Bible daily self-study guide
Founder and publisher of a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper, The Christian Science Monitor
Leader of a worldwide church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, and its branches in 80 countries

Well this is enough to tell us that this is not a church founded on Jesus Christ of the holy scriptures.

Metaphysical things are very much like new age I think.
RomaLynnStar

Postby Passion on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:19 pm

What a timely thread. My husband just discovered that one of his co-workers is involved in this. Even though he knew nothing about it, when the person told him what church he went to, my husband was immediately "on guard", so to speak--like something just wasn't right (Thank You, Holy Spirit!). My husband's only been a believer for about three years, only been going to church regularly for about 2 years, and only been reading the Bible every day for maybe a month, so he's still a pretty "young" Christian! :wink:

He came home the other night and asked me about the CS thing, and I realized I didn't know that much about it, either, other than it was New-Agey and cultish. I came here to ask the same question as nickylouse....but now that I think about it, I think I'll pop over to Lighthouse Trails for a moment.......

Okay, I'm back! Couldn't find any info at LT (which is quite surprising), but I checked The Berean Call and found this:

http://www.thebereancall.org/search/nod ... Baker+Eddy

I haven't read any of the search results yet, as I wanted to get back here and post the link for you, but I hope it helps.

Now I'll go and start reading!

:read2:
"But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me."

--Mica 7:7-8

Passion

Postby Passion on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:09 pm

Meh. Although I uncovered some fascinating stuff about Celebrate Recovery, the founder of Christ Scientist stuff was only briefly mentioned.

Hope someone has better info than me!
"But as for me, I will watch expectantly for the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me. Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. Though I fall I will rise; Though I dwell in darkness, the Lord is a light for me."

Passion

Postby Passion on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:22 pm

Duh. I forgot I had this site bookmarked, went to it, and found something:

http://macgregorministries.org/cult_gro ... ience.html

Passion

Postby SueAnn on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:54 pm

When I was in 3rd grade we moved from an all catholic neighborhood to a more mixed neighborhood. We were Lutherans.

A little girl around the corner befriended me. She was a sweetheart. She had the most horrific case of crossed eyes I have ever seen. Her family was Christian Science. They did not believe in doctors, just prayer for healing.

I only lived there for 1-1/2 years then moved again. I saw this girl again in 9th grade when we wound up in the same high school. Her eyes were still terrible and remained unfixed throughtout highschool.

That's my one and only understanding of Christian Science.
SueAnn
Supporting Member

Return to Other Religions Discussion & Debate