Rule 13 (applicable to non americans?)

Rule 13 (applicable to non americans?)

Postby daffyladysson on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Why should it be allowed that we can bash any ruler except the ruler of the USA? We Americans are allowed to bash the ruler of Libya, why then is it wrong for a Libyan to bash our president? It is my opinion that either Rule 13 be struck down completely or that it be modified and made applicable to every ruler in the world. However, if it is made to apply to every ruler in the world what happens when Mahmoud Ahmadinejad does something questionable? What about if China comes against Israel? Are we then not allowed to say that the Chinese ruler is an idiot for attempting to do such a thing? :bag:
My blog: "unknown possibilities await"
Subject: My decision to leave the Conservative Mennonites
This week's post: Mennonite, Evermore: The positives of what the Conservative Mennonites taught me.
daffyladysson

Re: Rule 13 (applicable to non americans?)

Postby AndCanItBe on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi daffyladysson! Thanks for the suggestion. I think Herb worded the rule this way because this board is largely American so naturally most problems that have arisen in this area involve our President. We take the "spirit" of the rule to apply to all rulers. Several people could testify that they have been asked not to deliberately misspell Ahmadinejad's name, for example, and name calling is out as well.

Have you read the modification? Basically the idea behind this rule is that it is okay to criticize and disagree with the policies a ruler has or laws they make or advocate for that relate to prophecy or scripture, but we should steer clear of directly attacking the person themselves. It's an extension of how we handle debate around here ...go after the idea, not the person.

I hope that helps to clarify it for you for right now. Thanks again for the suggestion.
AndCanItBe

Postby daffyladysson on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:35 am

makes sense.
My blog: "unknown possibilities await"
Subject: My decision to leave the Conservative Mennonites
This week's post: Mennonite, Evermore: The positives of what the Conservative Mennonites taught me.
daffyladysson

Postby burien1 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:19 am

Several people could testify that they have been asked not to deliberately misspell Ahmadinejad's name, for example,

:hehe:

:strike:

:lipssealed:

:itsgood:

Seriously. I thought that all of us had to read, and agree to abide by the rules here, before becoming members of this forum. I may not like chastisement, but I gave up the right to whine and complain when I agreed to abide by the rules of this forum. If I couldn't live with the rules, I didn't have to join. No one has ever been forced to be here.
Even most churches have a set of by laws that people who belong, have to agree to abide by. As with just about any organization out there. Even the Boy Scouts and Girl's Scouts.

I will be eternally grateful, that God placed mature believers in positions of stewardship on this board. Our tongue's are the hardest part of us to tame, and most of us need reminders at times, since all of us still reside in the flesh.
And it is a hard thing to love your enemy, as most of us know. But it does become easier, the more we are obedient to the Lord's will, instead of our own. I love my brothers and sisters here, but I want to please God, first and foremost above all. And thank all of you, and most everyone here, for helping to keep me steered towards the narrow gate.

I will try my very best not to call a Viper, a viper. Jesus had the right, and the authority to do so. As for calling out evil . . . . :wink:

Lord, please help us all here to be empty jars of clay, that You continually fill with your water. Help us to be the empty barrel of flour, that you fill with the bread of life. :bowing:
Psalm 119:105; Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
burien1

Postby GodsStudent on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:20 pm

you, too, Burien 1? :mrgreen: :lol:
GodsStudent
Supporting Member

Postby Sunny on Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:30 pm

burien1 wrote:

I will be eternally grateful, that God placed mature believers in positions of stewardship on this board. Our tongue's are the hardest part of us to tame, and most of us need reminders at times, since all of us still reside in the flesh.
And it is a hard thing to love your enemy, as most of us know. But it does become easier, the more we are obedient to the Lord's will, instead of our own. I love my brothers and sisters here, but I want to please God, first and foremost above all. And thank all of you, and most everyone here, for helping to keep me steered towards the narrow gate.

I will try my very best not to call a Viper, a viper. Jesus had the right, and the authority to do so. As for calling out evil . . . . :wink:

Lord, please help us all here to be empty jars of clay, that You continually fill with your water. Help us to be the empty barrel of flour, that you fill with the bread of life. :bowing:

I was just browsing through some of the old threads and was struck with the wisdom that quides this board through all the landmine issues we are all concerned with.

Thanks for being here, FP. :a2:
Sunny

Return to Suggestions